Need pithy writers for Advance magazine column "We Debate, You Decide" -- Topic "Massage therapy -- procedure or profession?"

  • Andrea Salzman
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 10 7:03 AM
      Dear PTs/PTAs,

      My name is Andrea Salzman and I write a monthly column for the magazine
      Advance for Physical Therapists/PTAs.

      The column is entitled "We Debate; You Decide" and for each column, we have
      two articulate, even pithy, writers who take opposing views on a topic. The
      intent is to generate water-cooler discussion, online letters and even
      (written) arguments about the topic. Even if you don't think you can do
      justice to a topic, e-mail me with the names/e-mail addresses of PTs/PTAs
      you think can.

      I am in urgent need of one writer and am trolling for others. Massage
      therapy -- Procedure or profession? is the topic where I have the greatest
      need.

      As one of the debaters, you would answer 5 questions (answer = 150 word
      maximum per question), provide a photograph and 100 word bio. Here are the
      questions for the Massage Therapy debate:

      1. Massage therapy is a procedure (performed by therapists) and not a
      free-standing discipline. True or false. Elaborate.

      2. Upon graduation from an accredited program, massage therapists are more
      capable of performing massage than are physical therapists. True or false.
      Elaborate.

      3. Massage therapists "scope of practice" does not include therapeutic
      exercise and thus massage therapists should never use the CPT code 97113 to
      describe their interventions. True or false. Elaborate.

      4. Since massage therapists make use of myofascial release in their scope
      of practice, massage therapists should be able to describe their
      interventions as "manual therapy". True or false. Elaborate.

      5. Massage therapists "scope" should be limited to "relaxation massage" and
      not "therapeutic massage". True or false. Elaborate.

      If you want to debate this issue 00 pro or con -- please email me PRIOR TO
      ANSWERING ANY QUESTIONS. Thanks so much for your responses to this need --
      please e-mail me directly at info@...

      - Andrea

      Future Column Topics
      1. APTA membership: Essential or oversold? (Urgent: need "oversold"
      argument by Sept. 15, 2002. I will e-mail you immediately upon contact with
      interview questions)

      2. Physical therapy clinics that retail products: Helpful or unethical?

      3. To DPT or not to DPT: That's today's question

      4. Massage therapy: Independent profession or plain old PT procedure?

      5. Chiropractors who "perform" physical therapy: Perfectly legal or
      out-of-bounds?

      6. Personal trainers: Friend or foe?

      7. Animal PT: Illegal or inevitable?

      8. Alternative Medicine: Mainstream it or malign it?

      9. Ergonomic Standards: Did President Bush trash a good idea, or save us
      from ourselves?

      Andrea Salzman, MS, PT
      Aquatic Resources Network
      302 160th Street -- Suite 200