137Re: [physical_therapists_in_business] Re: starting on our own

  • Evelyn Capdevila
    Mar 5 5:50 PM

      Well, I actually hooked up with a friend of mine who already had a clinic (he only did slip and fall and accident cases) but he needed a full time PT cause his per diem PT was no longer available.  He already had a nice caseload but was looking to expand.  I worked out a deal with him --I didn't have the start-up money to go on my own.  He got a bigger office space and he would refer all the accident cases to me and I would get my medicare #.  Since he put up all the money for space and equipment (initially), I split the medicare revenue 50/50.  I also lease the equipment and space from him at a ridiculously low price.  It may not sound too good but I haven't shelled out any money.  If I were to go completely on my own, yeah I would make 100% of my revenue but how much would I have to dish out for lease and equipment.   Accident cases are great money (upto $8000/pt) and you just need to hook up with one or two personal injury lawyers.  HMO patients are harder to come by because HMO's in my area are not accepting any new providers.

      Hope this helps.

      brian richman <gymnst37@...> wrote:

      I get most of my medicare pts. from a doc I uesd to work with. He has an office inside a rehab clinic I used to work in. He can only Bill Medicare for 20 modalities, but the rehab clinic he has his office in, is not medicare certified, so they normally send them out after he's done with his 20 modalities. So I asked him to refer them to me if I got my medicare #, and so far so good. I also get a few from other docs and I follow up with an intro letter and progress notes so hopefully will refer me others. Tell me how you get your patients, non medicare, and how you started your clinic and how you run it. That is what I want to do, but I really have no start up costs or overhead now, and I'm wondering if it will be worth it.

        Evelyn Capdevila <evelynheals@...> wrote:

      Hi,

      I'd like to know how you are getting your referrals?  Was it hard getting at least one Doctor to like/trust you so he could send you pts?  I just started my own practice and have found that finding a doc to refer Medicare pts isnt' as easy as I thought.....any ideas/strategies?

      Thanks

       brian richman <gymnst37@...> wrote:

      Good luck with your office, that is my long term goal, but with no capital or referral source, I thought this would be the less riskiest, and its working so far. Yes, I just bill Med B for the homecare visits. The basic codes I use are 97001 for evals, 97110, 97140. 97014, 97035 and 97116. The other insurances I bill using an office code because I rent space in a pre existing clinic that I used to work at as an employee.Any other questions? Is your clinic Med certified? A or B? I'd like to hear more about how you started yours.

       Sargent OShea <sjoshea@...> wrote:

      Brian,
      I have just started by own business. I see patients in the office
      but would be interested in seeing patients at home. Just a question on
      how you bill do you bill Med B with what codes for home care??? Also,
      how do you bill other insurances for home care. I would be very
      interested thanks!

      Barbara

      brian richman wrote:

      > I'm in the beginning stages of starting my own business. No overhead.
      > I got my Medicare # and a Doc that likes me and willing to send me
      > some medicare pts. I see them in thier home and bring everything I
      > need, including a combo unit and all the trimmings. After I see them ,
      > I do my own billing(electronicaly) and no employees. I get to spend
      > all my time with just ONE pt. and no interruptions. Better quality
      > care, more money and I'm my own boss. Just something to think about. I
      > also bill other insurances as well and I'm up to 20 visits a week
      > after only two weeks of starting. Good Luck
      >
      > Raymond Mack wrote:
      >
      > Thanks for the insight. Thinking about working for an
      > orthopedic group.
      > This would allow me to work on my Ph.D.
      >
      > Ray

      Evelyn Capdevila MPT, CWS