Re: [physical_immortality] Immortality without death ?

  • darkvegeta26@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 2, 2002
      In a message dated 10/2/2002 2:40:59 AM Pacific Standard Time, edmont@... writes:

             Many things have been suggested , from cloning ,to produce a
      copy of oneself to downloading and transfering memories.

      How did you plan to transfer memories to the clone's neurons?  Why not construct a new body completely from scratch, using nanotechnology, or simply use nanotechnology to preserve your current body indefinitely?

      Michael Anissimov
    • vegwriter@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 2, 2002
        In a message dated 10/02/2002 5:45:05 AM Eastern Daylight Time,

        << Subj: Re: [physical_immortality] Immortality without death ?
        Date: 10/02/2002 5:45:05 AM Eastern Daylight Time
        From: darkvegeta26@...
        To: physical_immortality@yahoogroups.com

        edmont@... writes:

        > Many things have been suggested , from cloning ,to produce a
        > copy of oneself to downloading and transfering memories.

        How did you plan to transfer memories to the clone's neurons? Why not
        construct a new body completely from scratch, using nanotechnology, or
        simply
        use nanotechnology to preserve your current body indefinitely?

        Michael Anissimov

        Sounds good to me!

        Judy
        editor/founder/designer
        <A HREF="http://www.RawFoodsNews.com">http://www.RawFoodsNews.com</A>
        An online newsmagazine featuring authoritative info, breaking news, and fun
        interactive features on the raw vegan lifestyle. * Rated Number 1 in the
        Webseed Directory's most interesting sites list, based on how many articles a
        person looks at in any one visit. * Reviewed in the November 2001 Writer's
        Digest. * See what people are saying about Raw Foods News:
        http://www.fastcompany.com/fast50/profile/?pokras252
      • LOGAN
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 2, 2002
          --- edmont@... wrote:

          > Dear Ponderers,
          >
          > Many things have been suggested , from
          > cloning ,to produce a
          > copy of oneself to downloading and transfering
          > memories.
          >
          > I , personally , would prefer not to
          > experience any disruption to
          > my existence.
          > The only technology on the horizon that
          > offers this possibility
          > is stem cell research , cloning and genomics
          > research happen to
          > coincide with this.
          >
          > Therefore knowledge from cloning and
          > bio-informatics , coupled
          > with a few of the newer technologies seem to be
          > the most relevant.
          >
          > I'd prefer to have the ability to repair my
          > body indefinitely,
          > from within , without loosing what makes me ,
          > uniquely 'me'.
          >

          > Yours Faithfully,
          Edmont.
          ----------------------------

          Aging and death begin with a certain attitude. This
          "I'm expiring" attitude has a picture of life attached
          to it: Life as an amusement park ride, with a rise, a
          peak, a decline, and an end. The idea, according to
          this view, is to do your best to be happy under the
          circumstances. Deep within ourselves we know there is
          a way, however, a way to perpetually ascend,
          physically and mentally, with no peak, only rise.
          With no end.

          Our first step is to banish any thought of death from
          our minds. You are stuck here, on this earth forever.
          What now? The idea should relax you. You can stop
          rushing around, you can stop arguing with people, you
          can stop thinking about your biological clock. It was
          all in your head. You will be young forever.

          For any object, friction is what erodes it. How much
          friction in life is created by the belief in death and
          aging? Reduce that and you'll find very little else
          to erode you. Help all those who you can and never
          harm anyone intentionally and you'll be free of
          another huge set of frictions. Do what you want to
          do, don't settle for anything below your potential,
          and you will escape another set of frictions. By
          avoiding needless stress, we will thrive quite easily.

          http://sbc.yahoo.com
        • vegwriter@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 2, 2002
            In a message dated 10/02/2002 2:30:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            lonehawk23@... writes:

            <<
            For any object, friction is what erodes it. How much
            friction in life is created by the belief in death and
            aging? Reduce that and you'll find very little else
            to erode you. Help all those who you can and never
            harm anyone intentionally and you'll be free of
            another huge set of frictions. Do what you want to
            do, don't settle for anything below your potential,
            and you will escape another set of frictions. By
            avoiding needless stress, we will thrive quite easily. >>

            I would posit that we need to watch what we eat, because eating the wrong
            foods will definitely lead to disease. Disease may not be death, but is not
            pleasant.
          • edmont@freenet.co.nz

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 2, 2002

                ---------
                > >I would posit that we need to watch what we eat,
                > because eating the
                > >wrong foods will definitely lead to disease.
                > Disease may not be
                > >death, but is not pleasant.
                ---------
                Yes, food is our fuel. So it must be top quality.
                But it is important to consider a few things about
                digestion and food. The way that certain frictions in
                life erode us is by initiating a fight or flight
                response on the digestive level. The digestive system
                gets a message of impending danger. This prompts it
                to STORE FOOD. It will store food on your arterial
                walls. If you were in a real fight or flight
                situation, that saved cholesterol would assist you
                with extra energy later. But since we are rarely in a
                truly fight or flight situation, the stored food never
                gets used -- it collects and eventually blocks our
                arteries.

                So it makes sense for doctors to warn against fatty
                foods. But only to those who have a propensity to
                stress a lot. Remember, no stressing means no
                needlessly stored food.

                Eating a healthy diet on the whole can also insulate
                you from a lot of needless stress by making you
                healthier and stronger. I recommend a multi-vitamin
                and some kind of super food powder (wheat or barley
                grass based) to cover your bases.

                http://sbc.yahoo.com
              • edmont@freenet.co.nz
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 3, 2002
                  >In a message dated 10/2/2002 2:40:59 AM Pacific Standard Time,
                  >edmont@... writes:

                  >> Many things have been suggested , from cloning ,to produce
                  >>a copy of oneself to downloading and transfering memories.

                  >How did you plan to transfer memories to the clone's neurons? Why
                  >not construct a new body completely from scratch, using
                  >nanotechnology, or simply use nanotechnology to preserve your
                  >current body indefinitely?

                  >Michael Anissimov

                  Dear Michael,

                  I was , actually , questioning the validity of copying memories,
                  as this seemed to be quite unlikely , certainly with our present
                  technology and the original might still experience death.

                  I am considering nanotechnology , however a few more developments
                  in this area are necessary before they might , usefully , be
                  applied to the bio-sciences.
                  I do note that Craig.Venteer has an interest in USGenomics , this
                  is just a starting point for the application of NanoTechnology to
                  the biological science.
                  There is at least one potential development , in nanotechnology ,
                  that I want to keep track of ; apart from rapid genome sequencing.

                  I've been reading a novel , about the application of nanodevices
                  within the body , set in the near future this discusses the use of
                  remotely programmable , molecular sized devices that interact with
                  specific cells.
                  As light of particular wavelengths and durations pass mostly
                  unhindered through the body , this was being considered as being
                  the way to alter the function of the nano-devices. If this didn't
                  work I suppose there'd be other alternatives.
                  Anyway these nano-devices could be remotely programmed to do
                  a variety of tasks and were capable of entering specific cells
                  or using the protein signalling pathway that exists within the
                  cell to effect a desired change.
                  I have yet to get to the part where the author discusses how
                  these devices overcame the non-specific nature of blood flow ,
                  I suppose he has some smart answer for that too!
                  One of the main uses of this fictional technology was the
                  repair of damage caused by oxidative stress , within the cell.
                  There was also a self-destruct sequence that caused the
                  nano-devices to breakdown into harmless components , that the
                  body just assimilated or that were expelled in the usual way.

                  Yours Faithfully,
                  Edmont.

                  Net-Tamer V 1.12.0 - Test Drive
                • edmont@freenet.co.nz
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 3, 2002
                    On 2002-10-02 physical_immortality@yahoogroups.com said:
                    >--- edmont@... wrote:
                    >> Dear Ponderers,
                    >> Many things have been suggested , from
                    >> cloning ,to produce a
                    >> copy of oneself to downloading and transfering
                    >> memories.
                    >> I , personally , would prefer not to
                    >> experience any disruption to
                    >> my existence.
                    >> The only technology on the horizon that
                    >> offers this possibility
                    >> is stem cell research , cloning and genomics
                    >> research happen to
                    >> coincide with this.
                    >> Therefore knowledge from cloning and
                    >> bio-informatics , coupled
                    >> with a few of the newer technologies seem to be
                    >> the most relevant.
                    >> I'd prefer to have the ability to repair my
                    >> body indefinitely,
                    >> from within , without loosing what makes me ,
                    >> uniquely 'me'.
                    >> Yours Faithfully,
                    >Edmont.
                    >----------------------------
                    >Aging and death begin with a certain attitude. This
                    >"I'm expiring" attitude has a picture of life attached
                    >to it: Life as an amusement park ride, with a rise, a
                    >peak, a decline, and an end. The idea, according to
                    >this view, is to do your best to be happy under the
                    >circumstances. Deep within ourselves we know there is
                    >a way, however, a way to perpetually ascend,
                    >physically and mentally, with no peak, only rise.
                    >With no end.
                    >Our first step is to banish any thought of death from
                    >our minds. You are stuck here, on this earth forever.
                    >What now? The idea should relax you. You can stop
                    >rushing around, you can stop arguing with people, you
                    >can stop thinking about your biological clock. It was
                    >all in your head. You will be young forever.
                    >For any object, friction is what erodes it. How much
                    >friction in life is created by the belief in death and
                    >aging? Reduce that and you'll find very little else
                    >to erode you. Help all those who you can and never
                    >harm anyone intentionally and you'll be free of
                    >another huge set of frictions. Do what you want to
                    >do, don't settle for anything below your potential,
                    >and you will escape another set of frictions. By
                    >avoiding needless stress, we will thrive quite easily.
                    >> Net-Tamer V 1.12.0 - Test Drive

                    Dear Lonehawk,

                    How come you have most of the same beliefs as myself.

                    You know , even the 'animal' part of me wants to do whats beneficial
                    to others. Random acts of kindness have their place , even at that level.
                    My apprehensions about things such as feline luekemia mean that I
                    physically distance myself from the animal kingdom.

                    As an indirect consequence of the attitude you expound , I also
                    have a desire to maintain my physical existence , forever ascending.
                    Those that see a 'stagnation' in physical immortality most likely
                    haven't expanded their horizons enough , even after what must be
                    decades.

                    Yours Faithfully,
                    Edmont.

                    Net-Tamer V 1.12.0 - Test Drive
                  • edmont@freenet.co.nz
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 3, 2002
                      On 2002-10-02 physical_immortality@yahoogroups.com said:
                      >In a message dated 10/02/2002 2:30:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                      >lonehawk23@... writes:
                      ><<
                      >For any object, friction is what erodes it. How much
                      >friction in life is created by the belief in death and
                      >aging? Reduce that and you'll find very little else
                      >to erode you. Help all those who you can and never
                      >harm anyone intentionally and you'll be free of
                      >another huge set of frictions. Do what you want to
                      >do, don't settle for anything below your potential,
                      >and you will escape another set of frictions. By
                      >avoiding needless stress, we will thrive quite easily. >>
                      >I would posit that we need to watch what we eat, because eating the
                      >wrong foods will definitely lead to disease. Disease may not be
                      >death, but is not pleasant.
                      >com/info/terms/

                      The Life Extension Foundation have also looked into this issue.

                      Regards Edmont.

                      Net-Tamer V 1.12.0 - Test Drive
                    • edmont@freenet.co.nz
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 4, 2002
                        On 2002-10-02 physical_immortality@yahoogroups.com said:
                        >--- edmont@... wrote:
                        >> On 2002-10-02 physical_immortality@yahoogroups.com
                        >> said:
                        >> >In a message dated 10/02/2002 2:30:53 PM Eastern
                        >> Daylight Time,
                        >> >lonehawk23@... writes:
                        >> ><<
                        >> >For any object, friction is what erodes it. How
                        >> much
                        >> >friction in life is created by the belief in
                        >> death and
                        >> >aging? Reduce that and you'll find very little
                        >> else
                        >> >to erode you. Help all those who you can and
                        >> never
                        >> >harm anyone intentionally and you'll be free of
                        >> >another huge set of frictions. Do what you want
                        >> >do, don't settle for anything below your
                        >> potential,
                        >> >and you will escape another set of frictions.
                        >> By
                        >> >avoiding needless stress, we will thrive quite
                        >> easily. >>
                        >---------
                        >> >I would posit that we need to watch what we eat,
                        >> because eating the
                        >> >wrong foods will definitely lead to disease.
                        >> Disease may not be
                        >> >death, but is not pleasant.
                        >---------
                        >Yes, food is our fuel. So it must be top quality.
                        >But it is important to consider a few things about
                        >digestion and food. The way that certain frictions in
                        >life erode us is by initiating a fight or flight
                        >response on the digestive level. The digestive system
                        >gets a message of impending danger. This prompts it
                        >to STORE FOOD. It will store food on your arterial
                        >walls. If you were in a real fight or flight
                        >situation, that saved cholesterol would assist you
                        >with extra energy later. But since we are rarely in a
                        >truly fight or flight situation, the stored food never
                        >gets used -- it collects and eventually blocks our
                        >arteries.
                        >So it makes sense for doctors to warn against fatty
                        >foods. But only to those who have a propensity to
                        >stress a lot. Remember, no stressing means no
                        >needlessly stored food.
                        >Eating a healthy diet on the whole can also insulate
                        >you from a lot of needless stress by making you
                        >healthier and stronger. I recommend a multi-vitamin
                        >and some kind of super food powder (wheat or barley
                        >grass based) to cover your bases.
                        >New DSL Internet Access from SBC & Yahoo!
                        >http://sbc.yahoo.com
                        >com/info/terms/

                        Dear Lonehawk,

                        This fight or flight response may even be culturally inherited ,
                        as well as genetically. For instance the American-Negro population
                        is more inclined to suffer from heart problems associated with their
                        diet and possibly inherited stressors. The most likely one being a
                        generational memory of enslavement. A comparative study with
                        contemporary African Negros is unlikely as they also are exposed to
                        a considerable number of stressors. Hence one would find it rather
                        difficult to place the blame for the American-Negroes predicament
                        where it rightly belongs.

                        The Fight or Flight response is also developed and encouraged
                        in a military setting , where a reaction from a grunt is most often
                        more desirable than a rational assesment. Hence one shouldn't be to
                        surprised to find the American-Negro gravitating towards the black
                        hole that is the U.S. military.
                        Similar can be said for the other military powers of the world.

                        So what might be an alternative to the fight or flight response
                        and how might you find this within your lifetime.
                        You most likely already know , however you don't quite have the
                        courage to say what this might be.

                        Yours Faithfully,
                        Edmont.

                        Net-Tamer V 1.12.0 - Test Drive