multilevel categories

  • Mohamed BADR
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 7, 2009

      I have categories table with multilevel categories I need to make the insert statement for the sub categories and sub subcategories so I need to populate a <select> box with this tree so I can insert the parent id with the new subcategory

      Anyone knows how to populate this select box with the tree ??

      The table is here

      CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `hosp_categories` (

        `category_id` int(10) NOT NULL auto_increment,

        `parent_id` int(10) NOT NULL,

        `title` varchar(255) NOT NULL,

        `description` text NOT NULL,

        `image` varchar(255) NOT NULL default '',

        PRIMARY KEY  (`category_id`)

      ) ENGINE=MyISAM  DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1 AUTO_INCREMENT=7 ;

    • Muhammad Rizwan Nawaz
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 7, 2009
        Hi,

        Top most element don't have parent so it's partent_id is 0. Your first query is

        Select * from hosp_categories where parent_id = '0'

        This will give you the top elements which you can loop and shows in <select. Once the user select any of the element in Top <select you have to pass it's id in query string and run the following query to load the child,

        select * from hosp_categories where parent_id = '$ID FROM QUERY STRING'

        This will give you the list of child of selected which you can easily show in <select. Same procedure is follow for next level of category. You can go till n level with this approach.

        Thanks
        Best Regards,
        Muhammad Rizwan Nawaz
        Email / MSN Messenger: rizwan_nawaz786@...
        Gmail: rizwannawaz@...
        Yahoo IM: rizwan051
        AOL IM: riznawaz
        Skype: rizwannawaz
        ICQ: 442047681

        =============

        SECURITY NOTICE
        =============

        THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS TRANSMISSION IS PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL.  IT IS INTENDED FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY NAMED ABOVE.  IF THE READER OF THIS MESSAGE IS NOT THE INTENDED RECIPIENT, YOU ARE HEREBY NOTIFIED THAT ANY DISSEMINATION, DISTRIBUTION OR COPY OF THIS COMMUNICATION IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.

        IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS COMMUNICATION IN ERROR, PLEASE IMMEDIATELY NOTIFY AND RETURN THE ORIGINAL MESSAGE TO THE SENDER AND DELETE IT. THANK YOU.

        To: phpresource@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 7, 2009
          In Oracle, you can get the parent child tree in one query, but that technique is not yet supported in mysql. So you will have to do the same as suggested by Rizwan.

          Atif Majid
          Software Developer.
          Tawasul Telecom
          Kuwait Free Zone, Block C-28, D9, Shuwaik, Kuwait
          Phone: +965 2295 7164
          Mobile: +965 6708 53 95
          www.tawasultele.com

          Top most element don't have parent so it's partent_id is 0. Your first query is

          Select * from hosp_categories where parent_id = '0'

          This will give you the top elements which you can loop and shows in <select. Once the user select any of the element in Top <select you have to pass it's id in query string and run the following query to load the child,

          select * from hosp_categories where parent_id = '$ID FROM QUERY STRING'

          This will give you the list of child of selected which you can easily show in <select. Same procedure is follow for next level of category. You can go till n level with this approach.

          Thanks
          Best Regards,
          Muhammad Rizwan Nawaz
          Email / MSN Messenger: rizwan_nawaz786@ hotmail.com
          Gmail: rizwannawaz@ gmail.com
          Yahoo IM: rizwan051
          AOL IM: riznawaz
          Skype: rizwannawaz
          ICQ: 442047681

          ============ =

          SECURITY NOTICE
          ============ =

          To: phpresource@ yahoogroups. com

          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 8, 2009

            But that means for each level I have to do a select query, and I don’t know how many levels are there, it should be unlimited so how do I do that ??

            Mohamed Badr
            Senior Web Application Developer

            OmegaSoft Projects

            mob: +2 010 2050009

              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 8, 2009

                I need a code example to do that

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 8, 2009

                    I need all cats, subcats to be in one select box, how do I do that ?

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 8, 2009
                      Try to use something like similar. May be it is buggy, but u can find an idea

                      include "YOUR DB CONNECTIVITY CLASS";
                      $objDB = new CREATEYOURDBObject();
                      $arrCategory = array();
                      getcategory($objDB, 0, 0, $arrCategory);
                      print_r($arrCategory);
                      function getcategory($objDB, $nParent, $nLevel, $arrCategory)
                      {
                      //$arrCategory = array();
                      $strQuery = "select * from hosp_categories where parent_id=".$nParent;
                      $nResult = $objDB->RUNQUERY($strQuery);
                      while ($rstRow=mysql_fetch_array($nResult)) {
                      $nID = $rstRow['category_id'];
                      $strSpace = "";
                      for ($i=0;$i<$nLevel;$i++)
                      {
                      $strSpace .= "&nbsp;";
                      }
                      $arrCategory[] = array("ID"=>$nID, "Title"=>$strSpace.$rstRow['title']);
                      $nCount = $objDB->RecordCount("hosp_categories", "parent_id=".$nID);
                      if($nCount>0)
                      {
                      getcategory($objDB, $nID, $nLevel+1, $arrCategory);
                      }
                      }
                      }