HELP

  • Shano
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2008
      Hi,

      I'm trying to write a small script/program in PHP to emulate a Microsoft Mail Merge.

      The steps I believe I need are as follows:

      1. Upload data to MYSQL DB via csv file. (OK)
      2. PHP page with template letter where the data will be merged to.
      3. Each record must be merged/imported into the template letter and then this must be saved as a file in a directory on the server (all files will go to the same directory) - I'm not sure which is easiest/best to use: html, rtf, or PDF.
      4. Each file must have the file name as specified by a field in the DB - ie the clients account no.).

      EG, I have 10 customers each with their own information in the DB. I want to end up with 10 letters in the directory/server folder - as html, rtf, or pdf - with the file names being the Client's account number (taken from the DB).

      I will download this directory/folder to my Mac to print or email them at a later date.

      So far, I have the database set up (that was the easy bit). I have the letter done as an XHMTL document (using a mix of tables and CSS for layout & presentation) saved as a PHP file, using a php echo statement where I want the info from the DB to appear.

      The rest has me befuddled, discombobulated, and generally confused. Shocked

      I presume I need to write a function that goes through each row of the DB, puts it in the .PHP (template) file, then saves to the directory '/letters' until it reaches the end.

      I also would prefer to save the documents as PDFs, but it doesn't seem as straightforward as I had hoped.

      Does anyone know of any script that does this already, or is there something I can adapt?

      I know what I want to do, I think I know the principles... I just don't know how to put it altogether! Crying or Very Sad

      If there's any kind soul out there who can give me a few pointers, I'd be a happy, happy bunny. Very Happy

      please
      regards
      Mubashr Alam

      YaHoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo......................!(ALAM)