***Conditional header redirection

  • A.N.M. Saiful Islam
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2008
      Dear all Xperts,

      I want to use a conditional header redirection.

      The explanation is like bellow:

      <?php

      include_once “header.inc”

      if( CONDITION == TRUE )
      {
                echo “RESULT”;
      }
      else
      {
      if( CONDITION == TRUE )
      {
                          header( “Location: somewhere.php” );
                          echo “If your browser does not support redirection <a href=’continue.php’>click here</a> to continue.”;
      }
      else
      {
                          DO ANOTHER ACTION

      Now how could I avoide the Cannot modify header information - headers already sent error?

      Could not I use the header function for redirection if anything sent before calling function?

      Is there any method to clear the header’s garbage.

      Like as:

      clear_header_garbage(); //clear_header_garbage is a sample function name. I am searching for such function
      header( “Location: somewhere.php” );

      @Saiful

    • Ashraf Jahan
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2008
        Dear Mr.Saiful,

        U will try :
        ob_start() function. start of the page. May b this will help for u.

        Best luck.

        Thank's
        Md. Ashraf Jahan.
        Php programmer

        "A.N.M. Saiful Islam" <email@...> wrote:
[...]

      • Muktadir Hossain
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 1, 2008
          Hello Saiful,

          Some output is send to the browser prior to the code at line 10. I guess, header.inc is causing this.

          You can use ob_start() to avoid sending headers prior to your intended header.

          Thanks,
          Muktadir Hossain

[...]

        • Muthukumar Selvarasu
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 1, 2008

            Hi,

            Use

            <? ob_start(); ?>

            @ first line of your code.

            Thanks,

            Muthukumar Selvarasu,

            Project Manager (Web Development),

            Webmasters Ltd.

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 1, 2008
              use output buffering till header redirections. such as:

              <?php

              ob_start(); // ADD HERE

              include_once
              "header.inc"

              if( CONDITION == TRUE )
              {
                        echo "RESULT";
              }
              else
              {
              if( CONDITION == TRUE )
              {
                              ob_clean(); // and ADD HERE
              header( "Location: somewhere.php" );

              hope that will help you
              --
              Shaikh Sonny Aman
              Trippert Labs

              Mobile : +8801556368534
              Fixed Phone: +88028915711
            • Mizanur Rahman
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 2, 2008
                hi saiful

                there will be no output (echo , print etc) before any header
                redirection. else it will fail

                --- In phpexperts@yahoogroups.com, "A.N.M. Saiful Islam" <email@...>
                wrote:

                > Dear all Xperts,
                >
                > I want to use a conditional header redirection.
                >
                > The explanation is like bellow:
                >
                > <?php
                >
                > include_once "header.inc"
                >
                > if( CONDITION == TRUE )
                > {
                > echo "RESULT";
                > }
                > else
                > {
                > if( CONDITION == TRUE )
                > {
                > header( "Location: somewhere.php" );
                > echo "If your browser does not support
                redirection <a href='continue.php'>click here</a> to continue.";
                > }
                > else
                > {
                > DO ANOTHER ACTION
                > }
                > }
                >
                > ?>
                >
                > Now how could I avoide the Cannot modify header information -
                headers already sent error?

                > Could not I use the header function for redirection if anything
                sent before calling function?

                > Is there any method to clear the header's garbage.
                >
                > Like as:
                >
                > clear_header_garbage(); //clear_header_garbage is a sample
                function name. I am searching for such function
                > header( "Location: somewhere.php" );
                >
                > @Saiful
                >

                > ---------------------------------
                Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost.

              • shiplu
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 2, 2008
                  Hello Debug it correctly.
                  Here is a good solution.
                  <?php

                  include_once "header.inc"

                  if( CONDITION == TRUE )
                  {
                            echo "RESULT";
                  }
                  else
                  {
                  if( CONDITION == TRUE )
                  {
                                      ?>
                  <script type="text/javascript">
                  <!--
                  window.setTimeout(function(){window.location.href="somepath.php";},5000);
                  //-->
                  </script>
                  <?php
                                      echo "If your browser does not redirect in 5 seconds <a href='continue.php'>click here</a> to continue.";
                  }
                  else
                  {
                                      DO ANOTHER ACTION