Re: Need some suggestions

  • Ashabul Yeameen
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2 4:48 AM
      Try to asnwer the following questions in your presentation/paper.

      Q1. If Microsoft starts selling Windows & Office at an affordable
      price (though impossible), say 500Tk for the bundle, should we still
      consider switching to Linux? Why? Because we can get a more
      user-friendly personal solution at a reasonable price.

      Q2. If my company developed an in-house solution for our need, why
      should we give away the software with source to our rivals for free?
      We already spent money on that project and now helping our rivals to
      save money.

      Q3. Though we get the source along with binary for open-source
      software, it is sometimes difficult to understand the code &
      architecture because of poor documentation. Isn't it hampers community
      development?

      Q4. How can we make money by developing extensions for open source
      software? Why people still need me, if they can get the solution for free?

      Q5. Can I develop open source software on a proprietary system or
      proprietary software on an open source platform?

      Q6. If I develop software from the scratch, what is logic behind to
      make it free? If others can modify, improve and redistribute why
      people will come to me for later?

      Q7. As a student, how can I get benefited from open source?

      Q8. How can I earn money by providing service for open source software?

      Q9. Why a poor country like Bangladesh should consider Open Source
      Solution?

      Q10. What are the technical advantages of the Open Source model?

      Also remember open source and free software are now two different
      camps with a little difference in their philosophy; Richard Stallman
      doesn't like the term 'Open Source'.

      Thanks,
      -Yeameen

      --- In phpexperts@yahoogroups.com, tahsin sayeeda <tahsin_sayeeda@...>
      wrote:

      > Aas Salamu Aalaikum All
      >
      > I'm preparing a presentation on Open Source and Free Software and
      it's impact on society.
      > Although my presentation is almost complete, I like some
      suggestions from you people who are devoted to open source software.
      > Specially, I need some help on open source software activities in
      Bangladesh.
      > Please suggest me, if my small effort brings the real impact of
      open source in the society. Or, my presentation is really fulfilling
      the objective of the topic.