Need some suggestions

  • tahsin sayeeda
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2006

      Aas Salamu Aalaikum All

      I’m preparing a presentation on Open Source and Free Software and it’s impact on society.
      Although my presentation is almost complete, I like some suggestions from you people who are devoted to open source software.
      Specially, I need some help on open source software activities in Bangladesh.
      Please suggest me, if my small effort brings the real impact of open source in the society. Or, my presentation is really fulfilling the objective of the topic.

      Fee Amanillah

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • rezwanmortuza
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2006
        Where is your presentation???

        --- In phpexperts@yahoogroups.com, tahsin sayeeda <tahsin_sayeeda@...>
        wrote:

        > Aas Salamu Aalaikum All
        >
        > I'm preparing a presentation on Open Source and Free Software and
        it's impact on society.
        > Although my presentation is almost complete, I like some
        suggestions from you people who are devoted to open source software.
        > Specially, I need some help on open source software activities in
        Bangladesh.
        > Please suggest me, if my small effort brings the real impact of
        open source in the society. Or, my presentation is really fulfilling
        the objective of the topic.

        > Fee Amanillah

      • Ashabul Yeameen
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 2, 2006
          Try to asnwer the following questions in your presentation/paper.

          Q1. If Microsoft starts selling Windows & Office at an affordable
          price (though impossible), say 500Tk for the bundle, should we still
          consider switching to Linux? Why? Because we can get a more
          user-friendly personal solution at a reasonable price.

          Q2. If my company developed an in-house solution for our need, why
          should we give away the software with source to our rivals for free?
          We already spent money on that project and now helping our rivals to
          save money.

          Q3. Though we get the source along with binary for open-source
          software, it is sometimes difficult to understand the code &
          architecture because of poor documentation. Isn't it hampers community
          development?

          Q4. How can we make money by developing extensions for open source
          software? Why people still need me, if they can get the solution for free?

          Q5. Can I develop open source software on a proprietary system or
          proprietary software on an open source platform?

          Q6. If I develop software from the scratch, what is logic behind to
          make it free? If others can modify, improve and redistribute why
          people will come to me for later?

          Q7. As a student, how can I get benefited from open source?

          Q8. How can I earn money by providing service for open source software?

          Q9. Why a poor country like Bangladesh should consider Open Source
          Solution?

          Q10. What are the technical advantages of the Open Source model?

          Also remember open source and free software are now two different
          camps with a little difference in their philosophy; Richard Stallman
          doesn't like the term 'Open Source'.

          Thanks,
          -Yeameen