Passing variable to frame page

  • morshed alam
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 5, 2005
      Hi

      Is it possible to send a variable through a hyperlink, to a frames page, and have all 3 pages in the frame pick up the variable using the $_request[var] ?

      In other words, I click on a link that has ?id=2 lets say.. it goes to a
      page called  say index.asp the index page has a top, main, and a left.
      how do i get each one of those to receive the variable, when i can only send
      it to one page? or is it possible to send it to more than one page, but only
      travel to one page? so the link looks like index.asp?id=<%=var%>

      Morshed.

    • Md. Tahmidul Islam
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 5, 2005
        Hello Mr. morshed alam,

        Yes .. it's possible to do.
        No Worries.

        Thanks

        Tahmid Munaz
        http://phpxperts.com

        --- In phpexperts@yahoogroups.com, morshed alam <morshed48bd@y...> wrote:

        > Hi
        >
        > Is it possible to send a variable through a hyperlink, to a frames
        page, and have all 3 pages in the frame pick up the variable using the
        $_request[var] ?

        > In other words, I click on a link that has ?id=2 lets say.. it goes to a
        > page called say index.asp the index page has a top, main, and a left.
        > how do i get each one of those to receive the variable, when i can
        only send
        > it to one page? or is it possible to send it to more than one page,
        but only
        > travel to one page? so the link looks like index.asp?id=<%=var%>
        >
        > Morshed.
        >

        > ---------------------------------

      • lamy_ici
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 5, 2005
          hmnn... strange to see an ASP script in a PHP group, but in general
          your question applies to either

          variable through a hyperlink/link refers to QueryString, to retrieve
          its value you can use the following code

          in PHP
          <?
          $variable = $_GET["variable"]
          ?>
          or
          <?
          $variable = $_REQUEST["variable"]
          ?>

          in ASP
          <%
          variable = Request.QueryString("variable")
          %>

          since you are using a FRAME tag you would have to write each SRC for
          the frames you created, appending the variable name and the value to
          the URL (see http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_frame.asp for FRAME tag
          properties)

          heres an example
          http://www.yourdomain.com/index.php?variable=variable

          in PHP
          <A HREF="index.php?variable<?=$variable;?>">Click here</A>
          or
          <A HREF="index.php?variable<? echo $variable; ?>">Click here</A>

          in ASP
          <A HREF="index.php?variable<%=variable%>">Click here</A>
          or
          <A HREF="index.php?variable<% Response.Write(variable) %>">Click here</A>

          you would have to URL encode it specially if youre using some special
          characters for the values to be read properly (for some browsers)

          in PHP
          <?
          $variable = urlencode($_GET["variable"]);
          ?>

          in ASP
          <%
          variable = Server.URLEncode(Request.QueryString("variable"))
          %>

          and be careful not to use HTML entities as variable name for it will
          be read as an actual entity instead of your desired name

          passing it to other pages should be done from the main frame, where
          your FRAME tag is, then retrieve it in those pages you specified as
          the URL for SRC of your FRAME

          --- In phpexperts@yahoogroups.com, morshed alam <morshed48bd@y...> wrote:

          > Hi
          >
          > Is it possible to send a variable through a hyperlink, to a frames
          page, and have all 3 pages in the frame pick up the variable using the
          $_request[var] ?

          > In other words, I click on a link that has ?id=2 lets say.. it goes to a
          > page called say index.asp the index page has a top, main, and a left.
          > how do i get each one of those to receive the variable, when i can
          only send
          > it to one page? or is it possible to send it to more than one page,
          but only
          > travel to one page? so the link looks like index.asp?id=<%=var%>
          >
          > Morshed.

        • morshed alam
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 5, 2005
            Dear lamy_ici

            Thank you vary much for your solution. I have solved my problem by your suggestion. Its working nice.

            Morshed

            Visit phpXperts website at www.phpxperts.com

            Yahoo! Personals