Redirects from index.php to home.php

  • Robert C. Blasdell,Ph.D.
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2005
      What are the reasons one might want to redirect vistors to a website
      from a default index.php file (or whatever default name the hosting
      service has selected as the default if not filename is input in the
      url) to a home.php file (or I suppose any other filename choide)? Is
      it just about making the filename look pretty in the browser
      (index.php is a bit non-intuitive to non-programers), or are there
      some security issues or is it about putting some distance between web
      bots and your site, or...? I've searched books and the web, but
      haven't found anything on this yet. Yet people seem to do it. Don't
      understand.

      Thanks,

      Craig Blasdell
    • lamy_ici
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 5, 2005
        IMHO, home and index if you look at it is pretty much the same but it
        isnt, index is the first page of a site, in short it is the default
        page displayed when the site is browsed without specifying a page,
        while home page is the main page where they usually welcome the user
        or state what the site is for or the likes

        other reasons i could think of
        1 - preference
        2 - trigger something on the first page like hit counter
        3 - index as splash page

        --- In phpexperts@yahoogroups.com, "Robert C. Blasdell,Ph.D."