Re: How to insert random value in mysql

  • Thouhedul
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 20, 2013
      hi
      i think you have need to set a specific recno. that means recno=1.

      --- In phpexperts@yahoogroups.com, "Mety" <metysoriano@...> wrote:

      > I have 2000 records already, however I forgot 1 field which secret
      code.So I add to my table secret code field. This secret code is a
      random number rand(100,10000). Below is my command

      > $secret_code = rand(100,1000000);
      > $update ="UPDATE registry set secret_code = '$secret_code' WHERE recno
      > 1";
      > $update1 = mysql_query($update);
      > ?>
      >

      > However each record has the same secret code once I execute my sql
      statement. How to take effect my random value.

      > Thanks a lot

    • Joe Forsythe
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 21, 2013
        You have a logic issue -- you need to set up a loop to process an update for each individual record so you can keep firing the rand() code over and over.

        So you'd do something like this:

        $id_list = 'SELECT recno FROM registry WHERE recno > 1';
        $id_list = mysql_query($id_list);
        for ($i=0; $i < mysql_num_rows($id_list); $i++) {
            $secret_code = rand(100,1000000);
            mysql_query("UPDATE registry set secret_code = '$secret_code' WHERE recno = ".mysql_result($id_list,$i));
        Joe