How to insert random value in mysql

  • Mety
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 20, 2013
      I have 2000 records already, however I forgot 1 field which secret code.So I add to my table secret code field. This secret code is a random number rand(100,10000). Below is my command

      $secret_code = rand(100,1000000);
      $update ="UPDATE registry set secret_code = '$secret_code' WHERE recno > 1";
      $update1 = mysql_query($update);
      ?>

      However each record has the same secret code once I execute my sql statement. How to take effect my random value.

      Thanks a lot
    • Thouhedul
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 20, 2013
        hi
        i think you have need to set a specific recno. that means recno=1.

        --- In phpexperts@yahoogroups.com, "Mety" <metysoriano@...> wrote:

        > I have 2000 records already, however I forgot 1 field which secret
        code.So I add to my table secret code field. This secret code is a
        random number rand(100,10000). Below is my command

        > $secret_code = rand(100,1000000);
        > $update ="UPDATE registry set secret_code = '$secret_code' WHERE recno
        > 1";
        > $update1 = mysql_query($update);
        > ?>
        >

        > However each record has the same secret code once I execute my sql
        statement. How to take effect my random value.

        > Thanks a lot

      • Joe Forsythe
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 21, 2013
          You have a logic issue -- you need to set up a loop to process an update for each individual record so you can keep firing the rand() code over and over.

          So you'd do something like this:

          $id_list = 'SELECT recno FROM registry WHERE recno > 1';
          $id_list = mysql_query($id_list);
          for ($i=0; $i < mysql_num_rows($id_list); $i++) {
              $secret_code = rand(100,1000000);
              mysql_query("UPDATE registry set secret_code = '$secret_code' WHERE recno = ".mysql_result($id_list,$i));
          Joe