Re: [phpXperts] Data Type

  • Tawhidur Rahman
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 22, 2010
      Everything is limited in this world!!!

      You can use "text" type for textarea input

      ---
      Tawhidur Rahman
      Assistant Manager
      Bestway Bazaar
      tawhidur.rahman@...
      swapnoloke@...
      http://www.bestwaybazaar.com
      http://www.swapnoloke.com
      Cell : +880(192)9917857

      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 22, 2010
        You can use LONGTEXT.

        Thanks
        Rashedul Islam Sumon
        Senior Web Application Engineer

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 22, 2010
          no data type has unlimited length.....

          CHARA fixed section from 0 to 255 characters long.
          VARCHARA variable section from 0 to 255 characters long.
          TINYTEXTA string with a maximum length of 255 characters.
          TEXTA string with a maximum length of 65535 characters.
          BLOBA string with a maximum length of 65535 characters.
          MEDIUMTEXTA string with a maximum length of 16777215 characters.
          MEDIUMBLOBA string with a maximum length of 16777215 characters.
          LONGTEXTA string with a maximum length of 4294967295 characters.
          LONGBLOBA string with a maximum length of 4294967295 characters.

          --

          thanking you
          A. H. M. Reza Shahreare Khan
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 22, 2010
            'text' is the perfect data type for textarea.

            thanks-

            --- In phpexperts@yahoogroups.com, foysal foysal <nowphp@...> wrote:

            > which mysql datatype is perfect for textarea input which has unlimited
            > length ?

          • Thouhedul
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 22, 2010
              'text' is the perfect data type for textarea.

              thanks-

              --- In phpexperts@yahoogroups.com, foysal foysal <nowphp@...> wrote:

              > which mysql datatype is perfect for textarea input which has unlimited
              > length ?

            • Saleha Latif
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 26, 2010
                why not longblob for unlimited text?

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 26, 2010
                  LONGBLOB and LONGTEXT both has 4GB limit, so they are not exactly unlimited :)

                  Though both can be used to store texts, they store it differently. LONGBLOB stores in in binary format, so u will not see any text field related properties, like characterset, etc.

                  And you can't search a blob field either :) so it makes it improper for storing texts, its designed to store binary data like the content of image files.

                  On 12/26/2010 6:32 PM, Saleha Latif wrote:

                  why not longblob for unlimited text?

                  'text' is the perfect data type for textarea.

                  thanks-

                  --- In phpexperts@yahoogroups.com, foysal foysal <nowphp@...> wrote:

                  > which mysql datatype is perfect for textarea input which has unlimited
                  > length ?

                • Saleha Latif
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 29, 2010
                    but i can search longblob.
                    you mean like :
                    select * from std where Stdname like 'Abc%';
                    but it work for me.
                    or you are saying something else?

                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 29, 2010
                      My mistake :) I should have mentioned "Full text search"

                      yes, you can search blob fields like text fields, like you mentioned :) But this type of text search using like on BLOB/TEXT fields are costly, in comparison to normal char/varchar columns.

                      Fulltext search can be applied only to TEXT, not BLOB, as blob is binary storage :)

                      --
                      Anjan Bhowmik
                      Software & Web Development Department