Help regarding a project (please read)

  • Richard Navarro
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 9, 2009
    i have a vague project.. and im just laughing everytime i read it..:))
    i've already consulted some programmers and DBMS experts and they just tease the
    author of this..haha

    could someone make a suggestions, comments and conclusions on this problem..

    i will name it as project(please read) and post it. thank you!

    suggestions, comments, and other help are highly appreciated..thank you very much!
  • Michael
    Message 2 of 4 , Nov 10, 2009
      Richard,

      I've read through the project and it reads like one of my masters class projects. You asked for suggestions, comments, conclusions .. but in reading through the problem statement it looks like there is work to be done in the planning phases that has not been provided.

      So I guess I'm at a loss to understand what question you would like answered.

      E,
    • xintellysaiv
      Message 3 of 4 , Nov 12, 2009
        --- In phpexperts@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <mfuhrman@...> wrote:

        > Richard,
        >
        > I've read through the project and it reads like one of my masters class projects. You asked for suggestions, comments, conclusions .. but in reading through the problem statement it looks like there is work to be done in the planning phases that has not been provided.
        >
        > So I guess I'm at a loss to understand what question you would like answered.
        >
        > E,

        ahh ok.. because i cant really understand the problem.. some transactions are indirect to the point... and the complaints are quite impossible to happen.. some are irrelevant to the study..

        ok, ill just ask for DBMS help for this system..thank you!
      • se_lain
        Message 4 of 4 , Nov 23, 2009
          So, is this like a school project or something? This study is assuming that there is an existing system, and therefore database it relies on, in place. If that is true then it doesn't make sense to design a new database from scratch without at least looking at the existing one. Anyway it seems that at the very least you should have a table for your inventory with

          id : int Primary Key
          price : decimal // or float if you prefer
          item number : int //though they may have letters, spaces, or dashes so you may have to instead use varchar
          color: varchar
          size : varchar
          misc_info : blob

          I can't say I'm really sure what belongs in the retail transaction file. I would assume a simple log of transactions in which case every transaction would have it's own ID in order to facilitate returns and invoices. As for the department number it's not clear where that goes. I also have a problem with

          --"items that are either too small or too bulky to carry price tickets are assigned article numbers. Goods sold or returned must bear an article number in order to be properly processed."

          As it implies that items sold may, or may not have an article number, but only items with article numbers can be returned.