i want to know the how to get the in built unique id in mysql

  • nalin_krish
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2005
      hi,

      i want to know how to get the inbuilt unique id in mysql similar to
      the rowid in oracle.
    • Md. Ashraful Anam
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2005

        Just create a ID field as AUTO_INCREMENT. Say the table structure is:

        CREATE TABLE `news` (
          `id` int(6) NOT NULL default '0' AUTO_INCREMENT,
          `edate` datetime NOT NULL default '0000-00-00',
          `news_type` tinyint(1) DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL,
          `title` varchar(125) NOT NULL default '',
          `news` text NOT NULL,
          `filedata` longblob,
          `filename` varchar(140) NOT NULL,
          `filesize` varchar(50) NOT NULL,
          `filetype` varchar(60) NOT NULL,
          PRIMARY KEY `id`
        ) TYPE=MyISAM;

        the id field will be autogenerated here. After a insert query u can find this id with the function mysql_insert_id();

            -Russell.

        i want to know how to get the inbuilt unique id in mysql similar to
        the rowid in oracle.

        Visit ProjectsHosted, online directory for PHP software : http://dev6.php5.nedlinux.com

      • Rupom
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2005

          No way man. I've also tried. In this case, Oracle and MySQL is different like many other cases.
          Rupom

          nalin_krish <nalin_krish@...> wrote:

          hi,

          i want to know how to get the inbuilt unique id in mysql similar to
          the rowid in oracle.

          Visit ProjectsHosted, online directory for PHP software : http://dev6.php5.nedlinux.com

          Discover Yahoo!

        • mizanur rahman
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 2, 2005
            well that will creat row id , just for the tables. not
            for the whole database. you can use postgre sql ,
            postgre have this feature which is known as OID

            thanks

            http://mail.yahoo.com