RE: [php_greek] greek chars not displayed in php4

  • yavor shahpasov
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 10, 2001
      in fear to sound silly the charset=??? is only used for the browser to
      autodetect the charset, if you mannually change the charset in the
      browser you automatically disregard this value.

      To Stelios: maybe it's a good idea to attach a sample of your page to
      see if i get the same effect.

      yavor
    • Panayotis Vryonis
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 10, 2001
        yavor shahpasov wrote:

        > in fear to sound silly the charset=??? is only used for the browser to
        > autodetect the charset, if you mannually change the charset in the
        > browser you automatically disregard this value.

        NO! At least not always. Netscape 4.7x for Linux, for example,
        will use the character set indecated by the web page despite
        your defaults... (Of course you can change the fonts, so that
        it uses an iso-8859-7 font for the Western encoding etc.

        Panayotis.

        --
        yassou.net: be there before you go!
        http://www.yassou.net/
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 10, 2001
          I used Panayiot's suggestion (header, etc) and it
          seems to work.

          Question remains, why does it work or why is is a
          problem in the first place ?

          Under php3 I never had to do such a work around. Also,
          I have not looked deep into php4 yet, but there is no
          .ini file, at least not in my home SUSE 6.4 linux
          system. I cannot imagine that I will be able to edit
          the .ini of the provider ....:-)

          Panayioti, thank you. Will let everyone know how it
          goes as I dig deeper...

          http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/