RE: [php_greek] greek chars not displayed in php4

  • Stelios Maistros
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 10, 2001
      Thank you Yavor, for the suggestion. I will try it.

      However..I certainly cannot make the same suggestion
      to my potential users...right ?

      --- yavor shahpasov <yavo@...> wrote:
      > I'm anly assuming here but if you can see the text
      > in IE then your
      > problem lies in the netscape configuration, I've
      > always had problems
      > setting up Netscape to work with foreign chars in
      > Linux. Try a couple of
      > other brousers before you look for a problem in PHP
      > settings (opera
      > konqueror or a newer version of netscape / mozilla)

      http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
    • yavor shahpasov
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 10, 2001
        in fear to sound silly the charset=??? is only used for the browser to
        autodetect the charset, if you mannually change the charset in the
        browser you automatically disregard this value.

        To Stelios: maybe it's a good idea to attach a sample of your page to
        see if i get the same effect.

        yavor
      • Panayotis Vryonis
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 10, 2001
          yavor shahpasov wrote:

          > in fear to sound silly the charset=??? is only used for the browser to
          > autodetect the charset, if you mannually change the charset in the
          > browser you automatically disregard this value.

          NO! At least not always. Netscape 4.7x for Linux, for example,
          will use the character set indecated by the web page despite
          your defaults... (Of course you can change the fonts, so that
          it uses an iso-8859-7 font for the Western encoding etc.

          Panayotis.

          --
          yassou.net: be there before you go!
          http://www.yassou.net/
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 10, 2001
            I used Panayiot's suggestion (header, etc) and it
            seems to work.

            Question remains, why does it work or why is is a
            problem in the first place ?

            Under php3 I never had to do such a work around. Also,
            I have not looked deep into php4 yet, but there is no
            .ini file, at least not in my home SUSE 6.4 linux
            system. I cannot imagine that I will be able to edit
            the .ini of the provider ....:-)

            Panayioti, thank you. Will let everyone know how it
            goes as I dig deeper...