help needed with creating tar files.

  • prasad c
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 23, 2009
      Hi,
      i need to create .tar files on my server ( LAN and localhost ), i have the
      code that doest work fine,

      $output_file = "TAR_FOLDER\\".trim($file_name).".tar"; // slash for
      windows should be this one, i guess
      $cmd = "tar -cf ".trim($output_file)." -C ".trim($file_path)."
      ".trim($file_name);
      exec($cmd);

      this does not seem to work, any idea why.??

      I think this is the error with the program, as the tar files dont get
      generated.

      any help is highly appreciated, i spent some hours on it.. :-)

      Prasad C

    • Praveen V
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 23, 2009
        Prasad,

        Can you try

        echo $cmd;

        before exec and check if anything unusual?

        Rgds
        Praveen

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 24, 2009
          actually i have not installed the tar binaries to tar other files on
          Windows, which lead to all the problems to execute commands. I tried your
          suggestions and the commands were perfect, now its alright.

          Thanks for your suggestion Praveen.
          regards
          Prasad C

          On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 11:42 AM, Praveen V <ninethsense@...> wrote:

          > Prasad,
          >
          > Can you try
          >
          > echo $cmd;
          >
          > before exec and check if anything unusual?
          >
          > Rgds
          > Praveen
          >
          > --- On Mon, 23/2/09, prasad c <prasadcnair@...<prasadcnair%40gmail.com>>
          > wrote:
          >
          > From: prasad c <prasadcnair@... <prasadcnair%40gmail.com>>
          > Subject: [phpKerala] help needed with creating tar files.
          > To: phpKeralaUg@yahoogroups.com <phpKeralaUg%40yahoogroups.com>
          > Date: Monday, 23 February, 2009, 6:43 PM
          >

          > Hi,
          > i need to create .tar files on my server ( LAN and localhost ), i have the
          > code that doest work fine,
          >
          > $output_file = "TAR_FOLDER\ \".trim($ file_name) .".tar"; // slash for
          > windows should be this one, i guess
          > $cmd = "tar -cf ".trim($output_ file)." -C ".trim($file_ path)."
          > ".trim($file_ name);
          > exec($cmd);
          >
          > this does not seem to work, any idea why.??
          >
          > I think this is the error with the program, as the tar files dont get
          > generated.
          >
          > any help is highly appreciated, i spent some hours on it.. :-)
          >
          > Prasad C

          Thanks n Regards
          Prasad C
          09946725488

          What is it in us that makes us feel the need to keep pretending...we gotta
          let ourselves be...