PHP 4 end of life announcement

  • Praveen.V.Nair
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 13 5:00 AM
      [13-Jul-2007]
      Today it is exactly three years ago since PHP 5 has been released. In
      those three years it has seen many improvements over PHP 4. PHP 5 is
      fast, stable & production-ready and as PHP 6 is on the way, PHP 4 will
      be discontinued.

      The PHP development team hereby announces that support for PHP 4 will
      continue until the end of this year only. After 2007-12-31 there will
      be no more releases of PHP 4.4. We will continue to make critical
      security fixes available on a case-by-case basis until 2008-08-08.
      Please use the rest of this year to make your application suitable to
      run on PHP 5.
    • ranji543
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 13 10:31 AM
        I heard about it last week .. a important que. to our group members ..
        1) What is the main difference between 4 & 5..
        2) normaly what is the difference between scripts that will run on 4 & 5
        5

        Chodyam silly airikum ennalum ariyan njan kure google cheythu noki no
        correct answer????
        :(
        :(

        So if any body know some site which explain easly plzz share ..

        Thanksss

        --- In phpKeralaUg@yahoogroups.com, "Praveen.V.Nair" <ninethsense@...>
        wrote:

        > [13-Jul-2007]
        > Today it is exactly three years ago since PHP 5 has been released. In
        > those three years it has seen many improvements over PHP 4. PHP 5 is
        > fast, stable & production-ready and as PHP 6 is on the way, PHP 4
        will
        > be discontinued.
        >
        > The PHP development team hereby announces that support for PHP 4 will
        > continue until the end of this year only. After 2007-12-31 there will
        > be no more releases of PHP 4.4. We will continue to make critical
        > security fixes available on a case-by-case basis until 2008-08-08.
        > Please use the rest of this year to make your application suitable to
        > run on PHP 5.

      • Praveen V
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 13 9:20 PM
          Zend engine 2 with new object model is the major change in PHP 5.

          Well I have seen lot of links on google. Here is one http://www.experts-exchange.com/Web/Q_21748159.html

          Some of the new features of PHP5 are:

          Improved support for object-oriented programming
          The PHP Data Objects extension, which defines a lightweight and consistent interface for accessing databases
          Performance enhancements
          Better support for MySQL
          Embedded support for SQLite
          Integrated SOAP support