Re: [phpKeralaUg] Re: help needed for appending a file..

  • raji skariah
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 29, 2007
      Hi,
       Thank you very much ..for ur reply..
      I am working in Linux platform..& want to append the microsoft word document..I am new to php ..& so can u give me..some ideas regarding this..?about COM also..

      "Praveen.V.Nair" <ninethsense@...> wrote:
      You said you want to append a .doc file. Is that a Microsoft Word
      document or simply a text file? If it is a Microsoft Word document,
      then you cannot read-write those files with simply using the PHP read-
      write operations. The doc is a special file format which needs some
      third pary class/library for your manipulations.

      If you are on Windows, you can do COM operations.

      Best Regards
      Praveen

      --- In phpKeralaUg@ yahoogroups. com, raji skariah <raji_ska@.. .> wrote:

      > hi all..
      > I want a help to append a .doc file..
      > when i click on a link, i want to open the specified .doc file
      from the server & a name to get added to it from the table..

      > my code is like this i tested..
      >
      > $filename = $m_tmppath;
      > $fh = fopen($filename, 'a+') or die("can't open file");
      > $stringData = "this is a test data to append to the file";
      > fwrite($fh, $stringData) ;
      > fclose($fh);
      >
      > but when i open the file.. I am getting it as blank..not even
      getting the existing contents nor the testdata.... Can anyone help me
      out of this problem?

      > With Love & Prayers,
      > Raji Pramod
      >

      > ------------ --------- --------- ---
      > Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.

      Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.

    • ArunRaj R
      Message 2 of 12 , May 2, 2007
        dear raji,

        try these links...

        http://php-pdb.sourceforge.net/modules/doc.php

        http://forums.devarticles.com/php-development-48/merging-doc-files-with-php-6052.html

        dn't hesitate to ask for further help..
        I strongly recommend asking queries in the Forum.
        This will help to easily send/receive messages.
        Also if someone else have the same problem. they can read those from the forum..

        regards,
        Raj

      • raji skariah
        Message 3 of 12 , May 25, 2007
          hello PHP experts,
          I am having a word file done by user 1,stored in the server(RedHat Linux).
          Then user 2 will take that file thru a VB interface and correct the mistakes in that file.
          user 2 will then upload that file to the same server but to a different location(user 2 will not replace the file done by user 1)
          Now, My requirement is to compare the file done by the user 1 with the file done by the user 2 when the user 2 uploads his file to the server.
          Is it possible with php?or can it be done in any other method?if any body have any idea plz help.

          8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time
        • Aji Issac
          Message 4 of 12 , May 25, 2007
            Try diff command of linux. This does the work, may be u can use it though exec()

            --
            http://www.idealwebtools.com/blog/ - I will be writing about Top Command in detail including load average and zombie tasks.

            Message 5 of 12 , May 28, 2007
              Unless ofcourse you have any specific requirements...
              why don't you read both the files in PHP using fopen and fread ?

              try reading some letter by letter / word by word fassion...

              Raj

              I am having a word file done by user 1,stored in the server(RedHat Linux).
              Then user 2 will take that file thru a VB interface and correct the mistakes in that file.
              user 2 will then upload that file to the same server but to a different location(user 2 will not replace the file done by user 1)
              Now, My requirement is to compare the file done by the user 1 with the file done by the user 2 when the user 2 uploads his file to the server.
              Is it possible with php?or can it be done in any other method?if any body have any idea plz help.

              8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time

              Looking for people who are YOUR TYPE? Find them here!
            • raji skariah
              Message 6 of 12 , May 29, 2007
                hello Arun,
                thank you for ur response..but
                  I want to get the compared file by adding or editing it by the 2nd user  to a different location in the server . (& the original file should remain there as it is...& the files are .doc files)

                ArunRaj R <raj47i@...> wrote:
[...]

                It's here! Your new message!

              • Santhosh Nair
                Message 7 of 12 , May 29, 2007
                  Hi

                  Use some linux commands to compare your files,
                  you can use system() or exec() for doing this from php

                  Cheers

                  ArunRaj R <raj47i@yahoo. com> wrote:
[...]

                  Regards
                  Santhosh
                  +971503380891

                  Luggage? GPS? Comic books?

                • Arun Vasudevan
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 29, 2007
                    Hi,

                    Opening Word Documents in php is possible. D(COM) in PHP will enable us to do that.  Please find / write your own code for comparing two files after opening. If you need further help, you can ask in the forum again.

                    <?php

                    // This example will show you how to open a word document using php. You may need to alter the code for your own purposes.

                    $word = new COM("word.application") or die("Unable to initialize Word");

                    // If you want to find the version of word ...

                    print "MS Word, version {$word->Version}\n";

                    // This line of code is needed if you want to bring it to front
                    $word->Visible = 1;

                    // Open an empty document. You can specify a document name if you want.

                    $word->Documents->Add();
                    //
                    $word->Documents->Open("phpkeralaug.html");

                    // Here we are entering some text to the Word file
                    $word->Selection->TypeText("This is a test...");

                    // We are going to save the Word File in the current working directory
                    $word->Documents[1]->SaveAs("Useless test.doc");

                    // After reading / writing the file, we need to close Word
                    $word->Quit();

                    // Make the object / memory free!
                    $word->Release();
                    $word = null;
                    ?>

                    Good Luck!!!

                    regards,

                    Arun Vasudevan
                    Network Administrator
                    Focal3 Software Pvt Ltd

                    Message 9 of 12 , May 29, 2007
                      Hi again,

                      I came to notice that, some extra spaces appeared in my post, which were not in my original code. So you can see the original code here :

                      http://www.chalai.com/support/

                      regards,

                      Arun Vasudevan

                      with theYahoo! Search weather shortcut.
                    • k s sarath
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 7, 2007
                        Hi,

                        diff commanfd will help you .
                        use diff command with exec or with system for comparing two files.

                        Regrads
                        Sarath K S

                        raji skariah <raji_ska@yahoo. com> wrote:
[...]

                        Download prohibited? No problem! CHAT from any browser, without download.