Re: [php-objects] php4 book

  • Ross Keatinge
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 6, 2002
      I'll second that. Welling and Thomson is very good.

      --- Urb LeJeune <urb@...> wrote:

      > Another great book is PHP and My
      > SQL Web Development by Welling and Thomson. A Sams book.
      >
      > Urb

      Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
      http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/
    • Peter Bowyer
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 6, 2002
        At 11:12 PM 1/5/02 -0500, Urb LeJeune wrote:

        > >Professional PHP programming also from Wrox has been a best seller:
        > >http://phpclasses.upperdesign.com/products.html/id/1861002963
        >
        > I think the book is highly over rated. About a third is fluff
        >documentation.

        Depends what you want. This was my first PHP book and I still refer back
        to in. Can't wait to get my hands on a copy of the new book!

        > >Other than that Tobias' Web Application Development with PHP 4.0 book
        > >also has been very recommended but I did not have time to review it yet.
        > >http://phpclasses.upperdesign.com/products.html/id/0735709971
        >
        > Very good book.

        Depends on the level you are at - the tree stuff went right over my head
        when I read it, and sections are now a little dated.

        Another one I like is Sterling Hughes' PHP Developer's Cookbook, which is a
        useful reference book to have.

        Peter.

        ---oOo---
        sendcard - *The* PHP e-card solution - as used by Excite!
        http://www.sendcard.f2s.com/
        ---oOo---
      • Matt Friedman
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 7, 2002
          The wrox book is great.

          It's full of practical php code that web-developers need to know. It's
          also very well written and easy to understand.

          Matt Friedman

          At 11:12 PM 1/5/02 -0500, Urb LeJeune wrote:

          > >Professional PHP programming also from Wrox has been a best seller:
          > >http://phpclasses.upperdesign.com/products.html/id/1861002963
          >
          > I think the book is highly over rated. About a third is fluff
          >documentation.

          Depends what you want. This was my first PHP book and I still refer
          back
          to in. Can't wait to get my hands on a copy of the new book!

          > >Other than that Tobias' Web Application Development with PHP 4.0 book
          > >also has been very recommended but I did not have time to review it
          yet.
          > >http://phpclasses.upperdesign.com/products.html/id/0735709971
          >
          > Very good book.

          Depends on the level you are at - the tree stuff went right over my head

          when I read it, and sections are now a little dated.

          Another one I like is Sterling Hughes' PHP Developer's Cookbook, which
          is a
          useful reference book to have.

          Peter.

          ---oOo---
          sendcard - *The* PHP e-card solution - as used by Excite!
          http://www.sendcard.f2s.com/
          ---oOo---

          Look here for Free PHP Classes of objects:
          http://phpclasses.UpperDesign.com/

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Manuel Lemos
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 7, 2002
            Hello,

            Matt Friedman wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > I'm interested in finding a good solution for creating forms
            > programmatically; something like ooh forms.

            Don't you know the all time classic Forms Generation and Validation
            class? :-)

            http://phpclasses.UpperDesign.com/browse.html/package/1

            > I haven't been able to find decent docs on ooh forms but I'm under the
            > impression that it's very good.

            Personally I am not too keen on spliting it in many classes as they do.
            That is conceptually nice, but in PHP that only makes parsing all the
            classes code much slower.

            Regards,
            Manuel Lemos
          • Matt Friedman
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 7, 2002
              Hi,

              I'm interested in finding a good solution for creating forms
              programmatically; something like ooh forms.

              I haven't been able to find decent docs on ooh forms but I'm under the
              impression that it's very good.

              Does anyone know of examples of ooh forms and where the docs might be
              found? Examples would be ideal.

              I also found phpOpenForms which seems very good; anyone have experience
              with it?

              Many thanks,
              Matt Friedman

              It's full of practical php code that web-developers need to know. It's
              also very well written and easy to understand.

              Matt Friedman

              At 11:12 PM 1/5/02 -0500, Urb LeJeune wrote:

              > >Professional PHP programming also from Wrox has been a best seller:
              > >http://phpclasses.upperdesign.com/products.html/id/1861002963
              >
              > I think the book is highly over rated. About a third is fluff
              >documentation.

              Depends what you want. This was my first PHP book and I still refer
              back
              to in. Can't wait to get my hands on a copy of the new book!

              > >Other than that Tobias' Web Application Development with PHP 4.0 book
              > >also has been very recommended but I did not have time to review it
              yet.
              > >http://phpclasses.upperdesign.com/products.html/id/0735709971
              >
              > Very good book.

              Depends on the level you are at - the tree stuff went right over my head

              when I read it, and sections are now a little dated.

              Another one I like is Sterling Hughes' PHP Developer's Cookbook, which
              is a
              useful reference book to have.

              Peter.

              ---oOo---
              sendcard - *The* PHP e-card solution - as used by Excite!
              http://www.sendcard.f2s.com/
              ---oOo---

              Look here for Free PHP Classes of objects:
              http://phpclasses.UpperDesign.com/

              Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              Look here for Free PHP Classes of objects:
              http://phpclasses.UpperDesign.com/

              Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            • Fredrik Davidsson
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 7, 2002
                Hello,

                Manuel Lemos writes:
                Personally I am not too keen on spliting it in many classes as they do.
                That is conceptually nice, but in PHP that only makes parsing all the
                classes code much slower.

                - How can I benchmark my PHP code?

                Best regards

                Fredrik Davidsson
                Alfaproject AB
              • Tarique Sani <tarique@sanisoft.com>
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 7, 2002
                  On Mon, 7 Jan 2002, Matt Friedman wrote:

                  > I'm interested in finding a good solution for creating forms
                  > programmatically; something like ooh forms.

                  I have not been able to find a match for OOH forms - all my projects use
                  them...

                  > I haven't been able to find decent docs on ooh forms but I'm under the
                  > impression that it's very good.

                  What is it that you find indecent in the ooh forms documentation :-)

                  IOW - what are you searching for specifically

                  Cheers
                  Tarique

                  PHP Applications for E-Biz : http://www.sanisoft.com

                  The Ultimate Ghazal Lexicon: http://www.aaina-e-ghazal.com
                • Manuel Lemos
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 8, 2002
                    Hello,

                    Fredrik Davidsson wrote:

                    > Hello,
                    >
                    > Manuel Lemos writes:
                    > Personally I am not too keen on spliting it in many classes as they do.
                    > That is conceptually nice, but in PHP that only makes parsing all the
                    > classes code much slower.
                    >
                    > - How can I benchmark my PHP code?

                    Just use the time() function before and after executing it and compute
                    the difference between the returned values. However that will not let
                    you notice what I mentioned above because parsing occurs before
                    executing.

                    Regards,
                    Manuel Lemos
                  • Chris de Vidal
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 8, 2002
                      Though I thought this would be an excellent book as well, Tobias's
                      review isn't as flattering:

                      http://www.phpwizard.net/resources/books/php.html

                      Reader reviews on Amazon seem to confer. Nonetheless, I might buy
                      it.

                      CD

                      http://greetings.yahoo.com
                    • Jon Frisby
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 8, 2002
                        Does "demand loading" work?

                        I.E. consider this:

                        if($x == 1) {
                        include_once('foo.inc');
                        }

                        Will foo.inc be parsed regardless of the value of $x, and only executed when
                        $x is 1? Or will it only be parsed when $x is 1?

                        -JF
                        > Personally I am not too keen on spliting it in many classes as they do.
                        > That is conceptually nice, but in PHP that only makes parsing all the
                        > classes code much slower.
                        >
                        > - How can I benchmark my PHP code?

                        Just use the time() function before and after executing it and compute
                        the difference between the returned values. However that will not let
                        you notice what I mentioned above because parsing occurs before
                        executing.

                        Regards,
                        Manuel Lemos

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 8, 2002
                          Go to php.net and search for include_once.

                          The answer is yes by the way.

                          Matt Friedman

                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 14, 2002
                            Hello,

                            Jon Frisby wrote:

                            > Does "demand loading" work?
                            >
                            > I.E. consider this:
                            >
                            > if($x == 1) {
                            > include_once('foo.inc');
                            > }
                            >
                            > Will foo.inc be parsed regardless of the value of $x, and only executed when
                            > $x is 1? Or will it only be parsed when $x is 1?

                            No, only when include_once is executed. require/require_once files are
                            parsed always though.

                            Regards,
                            Manuel Lemos