Re: [php-objects] Redirecting users

  • Tulga.G
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 5 11:42 PM
      Do u use any header function before this header function? or session?
      Created by Tulga.G
      Powered by Netsoft Co.,Ltd
      Copyright 2003-2004. All rights reserved.
      Thanks Tulga, but this is not working. It gives an error that header already
      sent. where should i put these codes?
      Lungo

      "Tulga.G" <tulga@...> wrote:
      Hi, I mean

      if($username=="admin") {
      header("location: admin/index.php");
      } elseif($username=="user"){
      header("location: user/index.php");
      }

        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 6 6:21 AM
          Lungo,

          You also need to make sure that no page (html) information is placed in the
          buffer prior to the header location function. I have found little things
          like a blank line prior to the first <? can have his result.

          Bob

          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 6 1:12 PM
            Problems with 'Header Information already sent'?
            Solution...Don't use Location: etc, etc

            For example, instead of:
            if($username=="admin")
            {
            header("location: admin/index.php");
            }
            elseif($username=="user")
            {
            header("location: user/index.php");
            }

            You can safely say:
            if($username=="admin")
            {
            echo '<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0; url= admin/index.php">';
            exit;
            }
            elseif($username=="user")
            {
            echo '<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0; url= user/index.php">';
            exit;
            }

            Hope this helps,

            John

          • otkcotsd
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 6 2:48 PM
              Actually, that's not what the "Header Information already sent" comes
              from. It comes from the script already sending output to thet browser
              before the header function is called. There are a couple of solutions
              to this.

              1) Don't have any white-space in your script before
              the <?php

              2) Don't output (echo, print, etc) anything before
              you call the header function.

              3) If you can't do the first 2, then you can turn on
              output buffering. This will hold all the output until you say it
              should be printed. This will let the headers go before any content.

              The "Header Information already sent" message should usually be
              accompanied by a message telling you on which line the output began.
              This should give you a hint as to what needs to be done to satisfy #1
              and #2.

              Dave

            • plumber
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 7 2:48 AM
                > Problems with 'Header Information already sent'?
                > Solution...Don't use Location: etc, etc

                send your header as header
                don't write something before

                BABA
              • Angel S. Moreno
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 7 8:39 AM
                  yea, not even a hard return
                  > Problems with 'Header Information already sent'?
                  > Solution...Don't use Location: etc, etc

                  send your header as header
                  don't write something before

                  BABA

                  Look here for Free PHP Classes of objects:
                  http://phpclasses.UpperDesign.com/

                • johnheinstein
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 7 9:41 PM
                    Hi,

                    Why don't you try echoing some javascript that sets the location.href
                    to the desired page? For instance:

                    <?php
                    $redirectURL = "http://www.engageinteractive.com/domit/";
                    echo ("<script language='javascript'>");
                    echo ("document.write(location.href=\"" . $redirectURL . "\")");
                    echo ("</script>");
                    ?>

                    Hope this helps,

                    John
                  • Vivie
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 7 11:10 PM
                      Hi Lungo,

                      Does your user table in your database have a "type" field??

                      That would be the easiest way...

                      E.G:

                      USER TABLE:

                      User_name
                      User_login
                      User_password
                      User_type

                      So user_type could be either "admin" or "normal" and a whole multitude of
                      others...

                      Then it could be...

                      PSEUDO CODE:

                      (1) User successfully logs in
                      (2) get user's type from database
                      (3) Depending on user type, redirect as appropriate

                      If you are running into the header already sent error, try a small
                      javascript redirection...

                      Vivie

                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 8 5:27 AM
                        You're right with your method.
                        But if programmer using debuging like in adodb, the debug message cannot
                        display correctly.

                        fn
                        http://www.rindudendam.com

                        On Sat, 2004-03-06 at 16:12, John Shanyinde wrote:
                        > Problems with 'Header Information already sent'?
                        > Solution...Don't use Location: etc, etc
                        >
                        > For example, instead of:
                        > if($username=="admin")
                        > {
                        > header("location: admin/index.php");
                        > }
                        > elseif($username=="user")
                        > {
                        > header("location: user/index.php");
                        > }
                        >
                        > You can safely say:
                        > if($username=="admin")
                        > {
                        > echo '<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0; url= admin/index.php">';
                        > exit;
                        > }
                        > elseif($username=="user")
                        > {
                        > echo '<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0; url= user/index.php">';
                        > exit;
                        > }
                        >
                        > Hope this helps,
                        >
                        > John
                      • Derek Scruggs
                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 8 10:19 AM
                          > If you are running into the header already sent error, try a
                          > small javascript redirection...

                          And you can also use headers_sent() to write a function to do either one
                          based on whether the headers have been sent already.

                          function my_redirect($location) {
                          if(headers_sent()) {
                          echo ("<script language='javascript'>");
                          echo ("document.write(location.href=\"" . $location . "\")"); echo
                          ("</script>");
                          } else {
                          header($location);
                          }