The problem with Open Source

  • Jay Allen
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 5, 2001
      The problem with open-source development projects is that they die if no one is interested in them.

      I've been really busy recently and half-expected to come back and find that the bus had left without me. Is anyone still around? Has anything happened?

      Whither PHP-Mefi?

      fooljay
      http://www.openwire.com/web
    • Thomas Vander Wal
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 5, 2001
        Jay --

        I am glad somebody else is asking this. I had a pocket of unexpected
        available time and was wondering where things stood.

        All the best,
        Tom

        > The problem with open-source development projects is that they die if no
        one is interested in them.

        > I've been really busy recently and half-expected to come back and find
        that the bus had left without me. Is anyone still around? Has anything
        happened?

        > Whither PHP-Mefi?
        >
        > fooljay
        > http://www.openwire.com/web

      • Michelle Kinsey-Clinton
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 5, 2001
          Me three. I just this week finished the contract from hell and am so ready
          to do some work that doesn't involve catering to the whims of creative
          designers and marketing droids...

          At 02:52 PM 7/5/01 -0400, Thomas Vander Wal wrote:
          >Jay --
          >
          >I am glad somebody else is asking this. I had a pocket of unexpected
          >available time and was wondering where things stood.

          Michelle L. Kinsey-Clinton
          http://www.sapphireblue.com/ * michelle@...

          ... I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine
        • Matthew Haughey
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 5, 2001
            At 06:46 PM 7/5/2001 +0000, you wrote:
            >Whither PHP-Mefi?

            heh, I just had a dream/nightmare last night that revolved around the
            project. I can't remember much though.

            I woke up thinking about it. I guess, if we want to move forward, the best
            thing to do is start discussing a publishing framework or laying down a
            development plan for how the application might be laid out, and that might
            be a lot of stuff that Chris Hamilton was talking about before.

            How about it Chris, have any time for this?

            Matt
          • Jim Winstead
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 5, 2001
              On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 06:46:54PM -0000, Jay Allen wrote:
              > The problem with open-source development projects is that they die
              > if no one is interested in them.

              well, they especially die when there is no code.

              there was a lot of talk about producing requirements, and a product
              design, etc. apparently the people leading that process found
              something more fun to do. (not hard to imagine.)

              in the meantime, i knocked together some code that is running and
              available at http://blo.gs/. i also found more interesting things to
              work on, but will almost certainly revisit the code again and start
              adding features, and would also look at any patches that were sent.

              jim
            • Tom Harrison
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 5, 2001
                > in the meantime, i knocked together some code that is running and
                > available at http://blo.gs/.

                You've got some interesting ideas working in your blo.gs code. I like
                the idea of storing times in unix timestamp format instead of
                something like the datetime format, because it's easier to convert it
                to lots of other formats. I've used datetime in the past, and that
                can still be converted to other formats, but requires a tad extra
                work to regex up the string and whatnot. I've got a bunch of
                functions for working with the time at
                http://www.brokenchair.org/projects/snippets/

                The other is the fairly simple template system (header(), footer()
                and minor php editing to change the output of blogged headlines). I
                used to use this, but recently went the more complicated route in
                working on my own template system. I figured people wouldn't want to
                directly mess with code, so what I came out with was a small class
                that inserts variables into a template, parses loops in the template
                and supports basic if/ifnot statements.

                ex:
                <loop name="links">
                <link-description>
                <if isadmin == "yes"><a href="index.php?delete=<link-id>">delete
                link</a></if>
                </loop>
              • Jim Winstead
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 5, 2001
                  On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 09:59:54PM -0000, Tom Harrison wrote:
                  > > in the meantime, i knocked together some code that is running and
                  > > available at http://blo.gs/.
                  >
                  > You've got some interesting ideas working in your blo.gs code. I like
                  > the idea of storing times in unix timestamp format instead of
                  > something like the datetime format, because it's easier to convert it
                  > to lots of other formats.

                  right. because i'm just going to format the timestamp with php's
                  date() or strftime() functions (and display it in the user's selected
                  timezone), it is easier to never bother with storing it a possibly
                  database-specific format that i'm just to have to convert to a unix
                  timestamp.

                  > The other is the fairly simple template system (header(), footer()
                  > and minor php editing to change the output of blogged headlines). I
                  > used to use this, but recently went the more complicated route in
                  > working on my own template system. I figured people wouldn't want to
                  > directly mess with code, so what I came out with was a small class
                  > that inserts variables into a template, parses loops in the template
                  > and supports basic if/ifnot statements.

                  i'm still fairly unconvinced of the advantage of a template system.
                  the biggest loss, as far as i'm concerned, is having to build up all
                  of the content for your page before plugging it all into a template.
                  i want to start outputting stuff as soon as i can, so the browser
                  isn't kept waiting.

                  (if i were to adopt a template system, it would probably be smarty
                  (http://www.phpinside.com/php/code/Smarty/), because of the caching of
                  the parsed template that it does.)

                  the blo.gs code certainly could use some cleanup as far as isolating
                  and consolidating some of the output code. for example, the code to
                  format comments and links are just cut&pasted across a couple of files
                  right now.

                  jim