First close-up

  • Evan Dembskey
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 7, 2001
      Hi,

      A little while ago I asked this forum about the "best" beginners SLR to
      purchase, and based in part upon those responses I settled on the Canon
      EOS300 with the Canon 28-90 and Sigma 70-300 lenses. I bought a couple of UV
      lenses and a polarizing lens too.

      I am happy to say that I am very very pleased with the setup, and took ~1100
      pics during my 2 week trip to Italy and Rome!

      Here is my first attempt (ever) at a close-up, berries in Rome of some sort.

      Regards,

      Evan
    • John Reed
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 7, 2001
        Hi, on 07-Dec-01 Evan Dempskey posted :

        > A little while ago I asked this forum about the "best" beginners SLR to
        > purchase, and based in part upon those responses I settled on the Canon
        > EOS300 with the Canon 28-90 and Sigma 70-300 lenses. I bought a couple of UV
        > lenses and a polarizing lens too.
        >
        > I am happy to say that I am very very pleased with the setup, and took ~1100
        > pics during my 2 week trip to Italy and Rome!
        >
        > Here is my first attempt (ever) at a close-up, berries in Rome of some sort.

        Quite a nice shot for a first attempt. Which lens did you use - the
        Canon or the Sigma ? And assuming it was in macro mode, did you try
        both lenses on the same subject ?

        --

        Regards, John Reed
        docbim@...
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 7, 2001
          > Quite a nice shot for a first attempt. Which lens did you use - the
          > Canon or the Sigma ? And assuming it was in macro mode, did you try
          > both lenses on the same subject ?

          Thanks!

          I used the Canon, as it was still one of my first spools. I was a little
          afraid of using the Sigma at that point. (Scared of making a mistake, which
          seemed much more likely with the Sigma. My fears were, it seems, unfounded,
          as I have some satisfactory pics using the Sigma).

          Regards,

          Evan
        • John Reed
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 7, 2001
            Hi, Evan Dempskey said :

            > > Quite a nice shot for a first attempt. Which lens did you use - the
            > > Canon or the Sigma ? And assuming it was in macro mode, did you try
            > > both lenses on the same subject ?

            > I used the Canon, as it was still one of my first spools. I was a little
            > afraid of using the Sigma at that point. (Scared of making a mistake, which
            > seemed much more likely with the Sigma. My fears were, it seems, unfounded,
            > as I have some satisfactory pics using the Sigma).

            Covering the same shot using the different lens systems you have is
            probably the best way of establishing their limitations and hence -
            your confidence in using them. I'm not too familiar with the Sigma's.
            I do have Sigma wide angle and telephoto lenses that I use sometimes
            on my Hi8 Sony Camcorder and these do give passable results. I seem
            to remember a review (many years ago) which criticised these lenses
            for their manufacturing variability. If you get a good one, then you
            have a friend for life. Get a bad one, then you may as well bin it.

            --

            Regards, John Reed
            docbim@...