Re: [photographic-techniques] wedding advice / gee whiz??

  • brigitte stahre
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2007
      i did one wedding and it may be years before i do another.. i t was a favor to the bride and she had borrowed some super expensive fancy camera from the bridesmaid.
      i practiced with the lenses and settings for 2 weeks and felt semi comfortable.. The day before the wedding, my new fuji s3000 came and i decided to take it along, back up the film shots and compare afterwards. well, i finished the film on the wedding and wedding party shots. put the camera away to change film at the reception and get set back up before they got there. push rewind and soon hear a terrible tearing sound. ok, then, not a tragedy, got all the pics at the wedding and photo place can remove and develop film. take out little fuji and start taking pictures near entry.. grooms mother comes up, "why not big camera?" i explain, she :"oh for pete's sake [edited] and walks towards back of hall. i glance back to see her opening big camera.. i shriek no and try to hurl myself 25 feet to stop her..
      she startles and drops camera... only wedding pictures are with little fuji camera.. Photoshop is an amazing program...
      brigitte in maine who has switched to photo journalism and animal shots..

    • Baume FotoArte
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2007
        Brigitte, you really know how to inspire confidence in a guy *zunge raus steckt*
        just kidding. I completely understand. Some things are just out of your control, and you kind of use those experiences to guide you.

        ...we all have our horror stories. I'm using this experience to practice for a wedding in August. A friend of mine INSISTS I do her brother's wedding, even after I explained I have never done a wedding--and if they are going to pay me, they might as pay someone who specialiazes in weddings...still, she insists, is that a friend, or what?. So, I sum it up this way: there comes a time when a photographer must test his or her comfort zone...

        regards,
        Evan

        brigitte stahre <krause234@...> wrote:
[...]

        ______________________________
        Evan Baumhofer alias "Baume"
        http://www.pbase.com/baume_1/root&view=recent

        Heimbachstr 34A
        67716 Heltersberg
        privat 06333-602760
        mobile 01762-515-9492

        baume_fotoarte@...

      • brigitte stahre
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 2, 2007
          just have to add, the bride was actually pleased with her photos but
          it was simply NOT my milleu.. At the reception i duly shot the
          important moments and some candids of the guests, but my main focus
          kept wandering to the young children present. at one point, the
          interfering mil wanted me to do a posed group shot of all the kids
          there. imagine keystone cops, laurel and hardy and the little
          rascals as portrayed by kafka.
          brigitte in maine

          --- In photographic-techniques@yahoogroups.com, Baume FotoArte
          <baume_fotoarte@...> wrote:

          > Brigitte, you really know how to inspire confidence in a guy *zunge
          raus steckt*
          > just kidding. I completely understand. Some things are just out
          of your control, and you kind of use those experiences to guide you.

          > ...we all have our horror stories. I'm using this experience to
          practice for a wedding in August. A friend of mine INSISTS I do her
          brother's wedding, even after I explained I have never done a wedding-
          -and if they are going to pay me, they might as pay someone who
          specialiazes in weddings...still, she insists, is that a friend, or
          what?. So, I sum it up this way: there comes a time when a
          photographer must test his or her comfort zone...

          > regards,
          > Evan
          >
          > brigitte stahre <krause234@...> wrote:
          > i did one wedding and it may be years before i do
          another.. i t was a favor to the bride and she had borrowed some
          super expensive fancy camera from the bridesmaid.
          > i practiced with the lenses and settings for 2 weeks and felt semi
          comfortable.. The day before the wedding, my new fuji s3000 came and
          i decided to take it along, back up the film shots and compare
          afterwards. well, i finished the film on the wedding and wedding
          party shots. put the camera away to change film at the reception and
          get set back up before they got there. push rewind and soon hear a
          terrible tearing sound. ok, then, not a tragedy, got all the pics at
          the wedding and photo place can remove and develop film. take out
          little fuji and start taking pictures near entry.. grooms mother
          comes up, "why not big camera?" i explain, she :"oh for pete's sake
          [edited] and walks towards back of hall. i glance back to see her
          opening big camera.. i shriek no and try to hurl myself 25 feet to
          stop her..
          > she startles and drops camera... only wedding pictures are with
          little fuji camera.. Photoshop is an amazing program...
          > brigitte in maine who has switched to photo journalism and animal
          shots..

          > Evan Baumhofer alias "Baume"
          > http://www.pbase.com/baume_1/root&view=recent
          >
          > Heimbachstr 34A