End of India, All of Malaysia and the last of the vacation pics

  • Daniel Sullivan
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2006
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/ko1d/sets/

      Well here is the last of the vacation emails. The link above gets you to the
      last 6 sets of pictures.

      The end of India shows Chennai, India. I took a day after recovering from
      being sick and toured with Nara's Aunty Rajie. Amongst the places we went
      was the beach where several thousand Indian's lost their life during the
      Boxing Day Tsunami. Some of the buildings there still showed signs of
      damage. While there I also saw St. Thomas Basilica where tradition holds
      that the Apostle Thomas is buried. According to the stories he came there to
      spread the word after Christ's Crucifixion. He was killed in India and
      buried there near the beach.

      That night I flew back to Malaysia. Most of my time there was spent relaxing
      and really unwinding. I toured Kuala Lumpur which I had been too before. The
      first thing that amazed me is how much had changed. There is so much
      building going on in Malaysia that from the airport to the city center is
      one huge construction area. In fact the housing area where Sanya and Adrian
      now life did not exist when I last visited 5 years ago!

      I did some tours of the "Colonial" District and Chinatown following the
      Lonely Planet guidebook (as did every other westerner I saw as they all had
      the same book as I did in hand).

      We took a side trip down to Melaka on the southwest coast of the country. It
      was a lovely day and we had a nice time strolling the old streets. The girls
      got a great big kick out of the "pirate ship" just like from Pirates of the
      Caribbean. The ship was a replica of a trading ship used by the Dutch and
      inside was a maritime museum of nautical history.

      Tossed into the mix were a couple social events with family and friends of
      Adrian and Sanya. We had Italian food that was quite nice one night and then
      also BBQ Malaysian style. My only regret was not trying the fish!

      Well hope everyone enjoyed the pictures. I'll go back in a few years to
      update these with some better ones.

      Dan Sullivan