Re: Film and processing recommendations

  • hovation
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 1, 2002
      > Tell me where you are able to develop tech pan? Do you
      > process it yourself? There are no labs in my area that
      > process it, and I don't have a darkroom (not enough
      > time).

      I wouldn't let anyone touch my tech-pan! Buy a tank and a changing
      bag from e-bay. Don't use Technidol. It is a primative unreliable
      developer. I have ruined as much as I have created with it. Go to
      photoformulary.com and order TD3. It is an easy to use developer that
      is reliable and you can shoot at ASA64 instead of ASA32. The grain
      and look are the same. You can then let anyone make your prints and
      forego the darkroom although that would be a sad loss considering any
      closet can become a darkroom.

      Also. If you choose to under or over expose, you might want to
      consider the following. You will pay a penalty in sharpness
      (althought slight in some cses) for even one stop in either
      direction. (I just completed an experiment using APX100 and PMK that
      showed this). If you over expose and under develop, you will see a
      reduction in contrast - usefull at times but not a lifestyle. If you
      underexpose and overdevelop - you will see an increase in contrast -
      also usefull at times but not a lifestyle. I have achieved good
      results with tri-x at ASA1600 and push processing plus 2 stops. I
      don't recall intentionally contracting the contrast yet - but I am
      sure I will try it soon on the next composition that has 10 stops of
      detail I want to capture. Anyway - If you do your own, you can
      experiment and know your system and achive more predictable results. -
      Frank
    • James W Cope
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 2, 2002
        --- hovation <frank@...> wrote:
        > > Tell me where you are able to develop tech pan? Do
        > you
        > > process it yourself? There are no labs in my area
        > that
        > > process it, and I don't have a darkroom (not
        > enough
        > > time).
        >
        > I wouldn't let anyone touch my tech-pan! Buy a tank
        > and a changing
        > bag from e-bay. Don't use Technidol. It is a
        > primative unreliable
        > developer. I have ruined as much as I have created
        > with it. Go to
        > photoformulary.com and order TD3. It is an easy to
        > use developer that
        > is reliable and you can shoot at ASA64 instead of
        > ASA32. The grain
        > and look are the same. You can then let anyone make
        > your prints and
        > forego the darkroom although that would be a sad
        > loss considering any
        > closet can become a darkroom.
        >
        > Also. If you choose to under or over expose, you
        > might want to
        > consider the following. You will pay a penalty in
        > sharpness
        > (althought slight in some cses) for even one stop in
        > either
        > direction. (I just completed an experiment using
        > APX100 and PMK that
        > showed this). If you over expose and under develop,
        > you will see a
        > reduction in contrast - usefull at times but not a
        > lifestyle. If you
        > underexpose and overdevelop - you will see an
        > increase in contrast -
        > also usefull at times but not a lifestyle. I have
        > achieved good
        > results with tri-x at ASA1600 and push processing
        > plus 2 stops. I
        > don't recall intentionally contracting the contrast
        > yet - but I am
        > sure I will try it soon on the next composition that
        > has 10 stops of
        > detail I want to capture. Anyway - If you do your
        > own, you can
        > experiment and know your system and achive more
        > predictable results. -
        > Frank
        >
        > Hello Frank!

        Thanks for the information. I just might try your
        advice since I DO know how to process B&W film. I have
        a spare bathroom that I can use and all I need to do
        is get the proper equipment to do it with. I really
        love the Technical Pan film because it does, under the
        right photographic conditions, make the most awesome
        pictorial images that can be made and it is sharper
        than the lens you use to shoot the image with. I will
        contact these places and inquire about the developer.
        I do have a custom lab in my town that can print the
        negatives for me and make custom enlargements too.

        Take care,

        =====
        Jim Cope, aka The Visual Artist

        http://auctions.yahoo.com
      • musickmayker
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 2, 2002
          I develop mine at ASU, in the art annex darkroom, curtis lets me in
          occasionally to work. And I use technidol it's seems to work fine for me. mm

          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 2, 2002
            That and bracketing has helped me. mm

            http://auctions.yahoo.com