intro and cc appreciated

  • beka
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 26, 2005
      Hello,

      I've been lurking on the group for awhile and have been meaning to post an
      intro.

      I'm a SAHM to my 'fullhouse' 3 boys and 2 girls :-) My oldest is 12 and
      my youngest turned 1 in Aug. Needless to say I'm very busy and I ALWAYS
      have a photo opportunity :-)

      I've enjoyed photography it seems like forever. I was in high school when
      I worked and saved up for my Nikon FG. I remember when I bought it and
      how I just loved the feel of it in my hands. I bought an Olympus C-4000z
      almost 3 yrs ago and have had so much fun with it. This summer my husband
      surprised me by taking me into a photo store to look around. We walked
      out with the olympus E-300. I have been thrilled all summer and I am
      always looking for a photo op.

      Children have always been my favorite subject though. I just love
      capturing their expressions. I have wanted to start a business for a long
      time now. When my husband bought me the camera this summer he said he was
      buying into my business :-) I have been lucky enough to freelance for a
      wedding photography company in my area and have found out that I love
      shooting weddings as well. They are so much fun to be a part of. I have
      also done a few portrait sessions. I find they are so much fun!

      I have quite a few people who are very supportive of me and keep telling
      me to stick with it. I find marketing and getting my name out to be one
      of the biggest challenges. That and trying to figure out how to price.
      I'm slowly getting there. I took the big plunge this past week and put
      some of my images up on smugmug. I have a bunch more to get up there
      along with a couple of jobs that I am currently working on. I would like
      some CC (please be gentle though :-) and any advice anyone would like to
      share.

      thank you for letting me lurk, learn and be a part of your group!
      Rebecca
      www.memorablemoments.smugmug.com
    • Christina
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 4, 2005
        You have some great shots. "Flower Girl" is my favorite. It is awesome! The
        only comments I can make are to separate the subject from the background a
        little more. The wrinkled muslin is very distracting. It should be more out
        of focus. Don't sit the subject to close to the background. Also, just keep
        shooting and practicing. Work on composition. That's what I struggle with
        the most (of course cropping with Photoshop helps with that)!
        Christina

        On 10/26/05, beka <beka@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I've been lurking on the group for awhile and have been meaning to post an
        > intro.
        >
        > I'm a SAHM to my 'fullhouse' 3 boys and 2 girls :-) My oldest is 12 and
        > my youngest turned 1 in Aug. Needless to say I'm very busy and I ALWAYS
        > have a photo opportunity :-)
        >
        > I've enjoyed photography it seems like forever. I was in high school when
        > I worked and saved up for my Nikon FG. I remember when I bought it and
        > how I just loved the feel of it in my hands. I bought an Olympus C-4000z
        > almost 3 yrs ago and have had so much fun with it. This summer my husband
        > surprised me by taking me into a photo store to look around. We walked
        > out with the olympus E-300. I have been thrilled all summer and I am
        > always looking for a photo op.
        >
        > Children have always been my favorite subject though. I just love
        > capturing their expressions. I have wanted to start a business for a long
        > time now. When my husband bought me the camera this summer he said he was
        > buying into my business :-) I have been lucky enough to freelance for a
        > wedding photography company in my area and have found out that I love
        > shooting weddings as well. They are so much fun to be a part of. I have
        > also done a few portrait sessions. I find they are so much fun!
        >
        > I have quite a few people who are very supportive of me and keep telling
        > me to stick with it. I find marketing and getting my name out to be one
        > of the biggest challenges. That and trying to figure out how to price.
        > I'm slowly getting there. I took the big plunge this past week and put
        > some of my images up on smugmug. I have a bunch more to get up there
        > along with a couple of jobs that I am currently working on. I would like
        > some CC (please be gentle though :-) and any advice anyone would like to
        > share.
        >
        > thank you for letting me lurk, learn and be a part of your group!
        > Rebecca
        > www.memorablemoments.smugmug.com<http://www.memorablemoments.smugmug.com/>
        >

        > Photographic Techniques

      • beka
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 2, 2005
          Christina,

          Thanx for your comments. I appreciate the input. Working with kids I have
          a hard time separating them from the background since they are usually
          sitting on the backdrop :-) I agree with the wrinkles in the muslin. It's
          new and I need to try washing it and see if it softens up some. I've done
          another portrait since (not up on my site yet though) and I smoothed it out
          a bit in Photoshop. Seems every time I do another shoot I learn something
          else. I find that photos I really liked at one time, I now go back and look
          and think...gee, what was I thinking? This needs fixing and that wasn't so
          hot. It's a continuous learning and growing process! This group is one of
          the most helpful groups I've found. The critiques are honest and very
          helpful without some of the maliciousness I've seen elsewhere on the web.
          Thank you all so much!!!