L.A. Center For Digital Art Open Call (Every Entry Shown!)

  • rowdyboybrian
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2005
      L.A. Center For Digital Art Open Call (Every Entry Shown!)

      Los Angeles Center For Digital Art
      107 West Fifth Street
      Los Angeles, CA 90013
      http://www.lacda.com

      second annual
      SNAP TO GRID:
      the UN-Juried Show

      Every Entry Shown!

      Click here to register:
      http://www.acteva.com/booking.cfm?bevaid=90476

      September 8-October 1
      Opening Reception Thursday September 8, 7-9pm

      Show your work at our gallery in our Un-Juried Competition:
      Snap to Grid. In our second annual exhibition of this kind
      participants each upload one image to be printed on high quality
      paper and hung in a grid in our gallery. The show will be widely
      promoted and will include a reception for the artists.

      After the exhibition the images and artist information will be
      available to view in our artist portfolios. Artwork for future exhibits
      will be selected from the portfolios, and will also be available for
      review by area gallerists, curators and arts journalists.
      Everybody wins!
      Entry fee $30US. Proceeds benefit gallery programs.

      Show is international, open to all geographical locations.
      Entrants submit one JPEG file of original work up to 2mb. All
      styles of 2D artwork and photography where digital processes of
      any kind were integral to the creation of the images are
      acceptable. Digital video stills and screen shots of web/new
      media are acceptable.
      Multiple entries are permitted. $30 registration fee for each
      additional image. Exhibit is limited to space available, early entry
      is advised.

      Gallery Statement:
      Every year for 50 years the L.A. Municipal Gallery has held its
      "Open Call" exhibit where any artist can show up with their art
      and an entry fee (to benefit gallery programs) and the piece is
      shown. The Los Angeles Center For Digital Art decided to launch
      an international experiment of the same nature where the artists
      upload images that are printed and hung by the gallery. The
      hundreds of works are displayed in a grid like installation
      (reminiscent of postcard art shows of the 1980's) where every
      work submitted is exhibited. The usual (less than democratic)
      selection process where only the precious few are chosen is
      turned on its head in a curatorial anarchy where everyone gets to
      participate and the viewer is literally left to be the judge. The
      show represents a snapshot of a current moment in art history
      when digital imaging has reached the hands of the many, an
      age where culture belongs to the "mobblogers" around the
      globe. From Thailand to Texas, amateur to academic, beautiful
      to banal and beyond the monumental quantity and variety of
      "Snap to Grid" becomes an aesthetic experience where each
      individual piece adds to an agglomerative effect that has a life of
      its own.

      Deadline for entries:
      August 28, 2005