Re: [photographic-techniques] website building request

  • Xerraire
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2005
      Hi Bob

      I own a few so maybe I can be helpful.

      First you need to buy a domain and then look for a hosting plan.
      Some hostings offer to help you with the domain, and for someone
      like yourself, sounds like a good way to go.

      If you like, I can help you. Perhaps if you had a budget in mind first
      (how much a year you can afford) and also the features that you need,
      as well as the domain name you are hoping for, I could likely find hosting for you quickly.

      :)
      Barb

      Ask me how to get your very own online gallery » http://www.xerraire.com/getyourowngallery.htm
      » My Email: xerraire@...
      » Personal Site: http://www.xerraire.com
      » Skins Site: http://www.SkinsGallery.com | http://www.mxskinz.com
      » Personal ART site: http://www.XerraireArt.com
      » Photography Sharing Site & Forum: http://www.UniqueExposures.com
      » NEW! My own Blog: http://xerraireart.com/blog
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2005
        I would just take some time and do a search on google for websites html, it
        will teach you how to play around with the tags on a webpage. I was in the
        same cituation as you are right now and I ended up purchasing a "template"
        from www.allwebco they have some really nice templates for photographers at
        around $85.00, so I built my own website. www.okcdigital.com it does take a
        lot of time though, but I didn't have to spend a single penny on maintance
        after that.

        Mario Medrano
        Community Worker
        Possibilities
        (405) 417-8811

        First you need to buy a domain and then look for a hosting plan.
        Some hostings offer to help you with the domain, and for someone
        like yourself, sounds like a good way to go.

        If you like, I can help you. Perhaps if you had a budget in mind first
        (how much a year you can afford) and also the features that you need,
        as well as the domain name you are hoping for, I could likely find hosting
        for you quickly.

        :)
        Barb

        >From "Xerraire"

        Ask me how to get your very own online gallery » http://www.xerraire
        com/getyourowngallery.htm
        » My Email: xerraire@...
        » Personal Site: http://www.xerraire.com
        » Skins Site: http://www.SkinsGallery.com | http://www.mxskinz.com
        » Personal ART site: http://www.XerraireArt.com
        » Photography Sharing Site & Forum: http://www.UniqueExposures.com
        » NEW! My own Blog: http://xerraireart.com/blog
        I think it is time to start my own website, yet I have no idea how to
        begin.

        I did a search here and found no info, so I appologize if this has been
        discussed and I missed it.

        I am am primarily an Outdoor Photographer as the majority of my images are

        scenics and wildlife.

        I am looking for information on how to lock in a website name, how to
        build a
        site, who to hire if that is a monetary option, suggestions from
        photographers
        here on pros and cons of different website layouts.

        What is hosting? Exposure on the web?

        Any information would be appreciated and links would also be welcomed.

        Thanks,

        Nurse Bob on the Kenai

        http://hompage.mac.com/bmalvin

        Photographic Techniques

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Photographic Techniques

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        To visit your group on the web, go to:

      • Julie Countryman
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 1, 2005
          A great hosting company is www.Godaddy.com or www.Edatarack.com I use them
          both for sites that I design and host--you can get full featured hosting for
          about $40 a year, and they also have domain registration services as well.

          As far as website design, you might want to start out with a template or a
          prepackaged forum package. PHPBB is a great one and is easy to install and
          customize (it's opensource), and it's free and is very reliable (meaning no
          bugs). It's available from www.Sourceforge.net.

          Julia Countryman
          DreamCatcher Media, Inc. Photography and Videography
          <http://www.dreamcatcher-media.com> Catching The Times of Your Life!!!
          Phone/FAX: 951-659-6057
          email: info@... <mailto:info@...>
          ----
          I consciously open my heart and mind and know
          that my life is all I ever dreamed it would be.
        • Photography by Gus
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 1, 2005
            You should avoid putting all your eggs in one basket. Registrar and webhost should never be the same.
            PhpBB and tons of other FREE scripts are included with any cPanel/Fantastico webhost. This means you can
            install it with one click rather than trying to figure out how to download and install it yourself. It also means
            that when patches/upgrades are available you won't have to repeat the process. The host can do it for you
            when they do their upgrades. Failing to stay on top of upgrades/patches will lead to your site being
            hacked/exploited. Afterall that is the number one (1) reason for patches/upgrades ...

            On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 09:21:32 -0800, Julie Countryman wrote:

            A great hosting company is www.Godaddy.com or www.Edatarack.com I use them
            both for sites that I design and host--you can get full featured hosting for
            about $40 a year, and they also have domain registration services as well.

            As far as website design, you might want to start out with a template or a
            prepackaged forum package. PHPBB is a great one and is easy to install and
            customize (it's opensource), and it's free and is very reliable (meaning no
            bugs). It's available from www.Sourceforge.net.

            Peace, Unity, Respect, Love (PURL)!
            Gus

            - www.photographybygus.com www.uncensored-hosting.com
            - "Your Satisfaction Is Our Art!"
            - Incredible Hosting, Photography, Video, Graphic and Web Design!

          • Julie Countryman
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 1, 2005
              Their registrar is through wildwest domains--they are only a portal. Agreed
              on the other points... You can do it either at Godaddy and Edatarack.
              Sourceforge sends out update notices if you do it yourself. I was trying to
              keep my points simple :)

              That said, if this is their first time building a website, it's probably
              best to buy a template from one of the many template providers. If you have
              no experience with HTML, building web applications and no design experience,
              it'll be a great learning experience if you have vast amounts of time to do
              endless loops of doing and redoing, then doing it all over again to make it
              all work, look good, etc.

              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 1, 2005
                Hi Bob,

                The easy way to start os to find the correct host. I use one that has a gallery software on it so, although it has been up for about 4 months now, mine has taken little or no work to setup. I am intending to do some work on the site, but out of the box with the exception of the falsh title, the gallery has taken no work apart from loading the photos.

                Example of my site www.firephotos.com.au and details of the gallery software that I use http://gallery.menalto.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=index

                Cheers,
                Gaz

                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 2, 2005
                  Hi , to add to the debate as to website building , try
                  http://www.amarasoftware.com/ for your photos , it is so easy to use
                  and you can trial it before you buy ( i use it on my own website )
                  also for templates try http://www.boxedart.com/ hope this info is
                  helpful to you !!
                  JOE
                  http://www.niphotos.com

                  --- In photographic-techniques@yahoogroups.com, "Gaz" <gaz@r...>
                  wrote:

                  > Hi Bob,
                  >
                  > The easy way to start os to find the correct host. I use one that
                  has a gallery software on it so, although it has been up for about 4
                  months now, mine has taken little or no work to setup. I am
                  intending to do some work on the site, but out of the box with the
                  exception of the falsh title, the gallery has taken no work apart
                  from loading the photos.

                  > Example of my site www.firephotos.com.au and details of the
                  gallery software that I use http://gallery.menalto.com/modules.php?
                  op=modload&name=News&file=index

                  > Cheers,
                  > Gaz

                • Barbara and Jim
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 2, 2005
                    Hi Bob,

                    An important aspect to hosting is one which has some user
                    friendly consoles. For example, I have over fifty sites with
                    GoDaddy and they are a good company with good support. But if
                    you want to password protect a site on their dedicated hosting
                    package you have to be able to write a little bit of code and set
                    that up yourself. On the other hand I have some sites hosted on
                    Yahoo and they are more expensive but I find their consoles to
                    be a little easier to work with, like password protecting
                    directories, adding multiple message boards, a guest book, or
                    things like that.

                    It may be that the non dedicated hosting packages with GoDaddy
                    have more user friendly consoles for those purposes.

                    I too agree that it may be better to have your domain registrar be
                    different than your hosting company. Not really sure why, just
                    feels a little safer.

                    I like to build sites with Adobe Live Motion and create flash files
                    as it seems to be harder for people to download your images or
                    steal them to use elsewhere. Of course, it could be that I just
                    don't know how to do that and other people do!

                    Have fun,
                    Jim

                    --- In photographic-techniques@yahoogroups.com, "Bob"
                    <bmalvin2000@y...> wrote:

                    > Hey Group,
                    >
                    > I think it is time to start my own website, yet I have no idea how
                    to begin.

                    > I did a search here and found no info, so I appologize if this
                    has been
                    > discussed and I missed it.
                    >
                    > I am am primarily an Outdoor Photographer as the majority of
                    my images are
                    > scenics and wildlife.
                    >
                    > I am looking for information on how to lock in a website name,
                    how to build a
                    > site, who to hire if that is a monetary option, suggestions from
                    photographers
                    > here on pros and cons of different website layouts.
                    >
                    > What is hosting? Exposure on the web?
                    >
                    > Any information would be appreciated and links would also be
                    welcomed.

                    > Thanks,
                    >
                    > Nurse Bob on the Kenai
                    >
                    > http://hompage.mac.com/bmalvin
                  • KPPhotography
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 3, 2005
                      I've already tossed the original message so I'll reply here. Though
                      there have been good suggestions thus far, no one has asked what type of
                      site the original poster (Bob) wanted to setup. This would in some ways
                      dictate where to go for hosting etc.

                      If you want a photo gallery and/or wish to sell your photos look into
                      pbase.com (sharing) or dotphoto.com or smugmug.com (both for selling).
                      These sites allow you to upload and display your images, viewers can
                      leave comments etc. Dotphoto and Smugmug allow you to set your own
                      prices for prints, viewers can order online and these companies print
                      and mail for you and cut you a check at the end of the month. Smugmug
                      permits separate galleries with different pricing structures per gallery
                      also. Client images can be setup in different galleries with different
                      prices.

                      For a basic info site about you and what you do check out godaddy.com or
                      just put your own site together and host it within the webspace your ISP
                      gives you. Register a domain name with anyone and have it point to your
                      webspace. Check out my site (see my sig) for an example. Easy web
                      building tools abound and many are free. Check out Acehtml for one.

                      God luck Bob.

                      =======================
                      Karl Peschel
                      karl@...
                      www.kpphotography.com
                      =======================

                      photographic-techniques@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                      >Message: 1
                      > Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 16:26:35 -0000
                      > From: "clubland20032003" <studio@...>
                      >Subject: Re: website building request
                      >
                      > Hi , to add to the debate as to website building , try
                      >http://www.amarasoftware.com/ for your photos , it is so easy to use
                      >and you can trial it before you buy ( i use it on my own website )
                      >also for templates try http://www.boxedart.com/ hope this info is
                      >helpful to you !!
                      >JOE
                      >http://www.niphotos.com
                      >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                      ---
                      Virus Database (VPS): 0509-4, 03/03/2005
                      Tested on: 3/3/2005 9:21:47 AM
                    • clubland20032003
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 4, 2005
                        Reading with interest your message as to stealing the images on a
                        site , this can easily be overcome by using Weblock ( search in
                        google for the programme ) or using Macromedia and putting on a logo
                        in the middle of the photo , whilst at the same time saving the
                        original photo in a different folder , as to a hosting server , i
                        have found Fasthosts to be very pro and helpful...

                        Regards JOE

                        http://www.niphotos.com

                        --- In photographic-techniques@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara and Jim"
                        <boiledcrabs@y...> wrote:

                        > Hi Bob,
                        >
                        > An important aspect to hosting is one which has some user
                        > friendly consoles. For example, I have over fifty sites with
                        > GoDaddy and they are a good company with good support. But if
                        > you want to password protect a site on their dedicated hosting
                        > package you have to be able to write a little bit of code and set
                        > that up yourself. On the other hand I have some sites hosted on
                        > Yahoo and they are more expensive but I find their consoles to
                        > be a little easier to work with, like password protecting
                        > directories, adding multiple message boards, a guest book, or
                        > things like that.
                        >
                        > It may be that the non dedicated hosting packages with GoDaddy
                        > have more user friendly consoles for those purposes.
                        >
                        > I too agree that it may be better to have your domain registrar be
                        > different than your hosting company. Not really sure why, just
                        > feels a little safer.
                        >
                        > I like to build sites with Adobe Live Motion and create flash
                        files
                        > as it seems to be harder for people to download your images or
                        > steal them to use elsewhere. Of course, it could be that I just
                        > don't know how to do that and other people do!
                        >
                        > Have fun,
                        > Jim
                        >
                        > --- In photographic-techniques@yahoogroups.com, "Bob"
                        > <bmalvin2000@y...> wrote:
                        > >

                        > > Hey Group,
                        > >
                        > > I think it is time to start my own website, yet I have no idea
                        how
                        > to begin.
                        > >
                        > > I did a search here and found no info, so I appologize if this
                        > has been
                        > > discussed and I missed it.
                        > >
                        > > I am am primarily an Outdoor Photographer as the majority of
                        > my images are
                        > > scenics and wildlife.
                        > >
                        > > I am looking for information on how to lock in a website name,
                        > how to build a
                        > > site, who to hire if that is a monetary option, suggestions from
                        > photographers
                        > > here on pros and cons of different website layouts.
                        > >
                        > > What is hosting? Exposure on the web?
                        > >
                        > > Any information would be appreciated and links would also be
                        > welcomed.
                        > >

                        > > Thanks,
                        > >
                        > > Nurse Bob on the Kenai
                        > >
                        > > http://hompage.mac.com/bmalvin
                      • Mario Medrano
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 4, 2005
                          As far as stealing an image from the internet, you can add the code to your
                          webpage to disable right click...that's what I do with mine.

                          Mario Medrano
                          Community Worker
                          Possibilities
                          (405) 417-8811