A nice Sunday afternoon

  • G
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 1, 2003
      Had a chance to get out of the house today and thought I might share some of
      my shots. Follow the link below and let me know what cha think.

      Thanks,

      Latest Work:
      http://imageevent.com/gila/thefarminnovember

    • David
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 1, 2003
        Hi G,

        You cant beat a nice rural setting and a fine Sunday afternoon, very nice pics.

        Regards
        Dave
        Downunder.
        Had a chance to get out of the house today and thought I might share some of
        my shots. Follow the link below and let me know what cha think.

        Thanks,

        Latest Work:
        http://imageevent.com/gila/thefarminnovember

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Photographic Techniques

      • Canadian Nikonian
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 1, 2003
          --- G <clara66_66@...> wrote:

          > Had a chance to get out of the house today and thought I
          > might share some of
          > my shots. Follow the link below and let me know what cha
          > think.

          I haven't looked at them all yet, but I'd say generally
          good. Some of them (landscape shots) would have benefitted
          from a split ND grad filter.

          Andy

        • Douglas Decker
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 1, 2003
            Dear G,
            First things first. I really like the first two shots. Especially the
            one from the "Great Room." Then I got to #9. I really like the way you
            managed to capture the color of the sunset without the glare of the sun
            coming in from the side of the picture. Great shot.

            I also enjoyed #15 and (just my opinion) think that it might look great
            as a B&W. But then I tend to like B&W and you might not.

            Thanks for sharing the photo's. Almost makes me want to own another
            farm myself.

            OT - I really like the page layout and the slideshow feature. I was
            wondering what software you use for this.

            Thanks again.

            Doug in Houston
          • G

              Had a chance to get out of the house today and thought I might share some of
              my shots. Follow the link below and let me know what cha think.

              Thanks,

              Latest Work:
              http://imageevent.com/gila/thefarminnovember

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              Photographic Techniques

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              Photographic Techniques

              My Latest works can be found at: http://imageevent.com/gila/thefarminnovember

            • Richard
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 1, 2003
                Hi, G -

                I, too, really like #2. But then, I'm very partial to shots that
                use the foreground to frame the background.

                On the rest, I was really struck by the glow of the sun in #9 as
                well.

                My other two favorites - or perhaps my next favorite is one of ... 8
                or 13. I think the framing and the bold diagonal contrail really
                make those dynamic shots.

                Thanks for sharing!

                --- In photographic-techniques@yahoogroups.com, Douglas Decker
                <dougdecker@e...> wrote:
                > Dear G,
                > First things first. I really like the first two shots. Especially
                the
                > one from the "Great Room." Then I got to #9. I really like the way
                you
                > managed to capture the color of the sunset without the glare of
                the sun
                > coming in from the side of the picture. Great shot.
                >
                > I also enjoyed #15 and (just my opinion) think that it might look
                great
                > as a B&W. But then I tend to like B&W and you might not.
                >
                > Thanks for sharing the photo's. Almost makes me want to own
                another
                > farm myself.
                >
                > OT - I really like the page layout and the slideshow feature. I
                was
                > wondering what software you use for this.
                >
                > Thanks again.
                >
                > Doug in Houston
              • Gregory david Stempel FIREFRAMEi m a g i
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 1, 2003
                  Gila,

                  Looks like it was a nice day for shooting. Your farm??

                  What is the total view offered by the viewfinder of your Olympus? More than
                  93%?

                  I agree with the split neutral density filter or a flash with an extender
                  added. There are some pleasant images, with Nos. 3 & 4 being for the
                  postcards. Good work.

                  Take care,
                  Gregory david Stempel
                  FIREFRAMEi m a g i n g
                  www.americanphotojournalist.com
                  "The brave ones were shooting the enemy, the crazy ones got it on digital"
                • G
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 2, 2003
                    Thanks Andy,

                    I am just now getting into being able to get filters and such for my camera. It requires an adapter and a step up ring first. I do have a Polerizer filter I picked up for landscape shots. Just no way to attach it just yet. Is that the same as the filter you are referring to?

                    The shots turned out nicely but they could have been better with additional equipment. I am collecting peices a little at a time:-)

                    Lemme know if those filters are the same and anything else about filters you might have in mind.

                    Thanks again,

                    http://www.geocities.com/clara66_66/

                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 2, 2003
                      Hello Gregory,

                      Thanks for taking the time to check them out. It was a nice afternoon to shoot. Windy as heck and with all my hair it made many of the shots for the trash. Seems like the more I tried to keep it up the more the wind blew. ~~Not my farm fortunately. I say that because although I would enjoy living in such a place I do not think I could keep up with it all. It belongs to my sons future in law and he works it for them. It takes him and three others minimum to keep things afloat. Summer time it takes many, many more. They do the hay baling and animals. Horses, miniature and full size, birds, bunnies, dogs, and cats. They board horses as well. It is quite a busy place. It is really an amazing place. I have more shots from yesterday just not enough time to load them yet. I am sure there will be many more to come. I have an open invitation so I am sure I will be taking advantage of that :-)

                      The optical view finder on this camera is worthless at more than a few feet. I have learned to judge it alright if I am close enough to my subject. On long shots like these, I use the LCD screen on the back of the camera and when my subject completely fills the screen the shot comes out with very little more that what I seen taking the shot. I would say it is about 95 percent acurate. I take care of the other 5 percent with the cropping tool.

                      I am getting all the attachments to be able to use filters and some additional lenses very soon. I picked up a polerizer filter and in a previous post ask if this was the same as a split density filter. Perhaps you could explain. I understand the concept behind these filters but not yet savy to the benefits of each one. I am learning though and trying to get better ~~I just love photography. I wish to be good enough one day to do it to make a living. How grand to be able to make a living doing something that you just get lost in. Ahhhh, someday perhaps.

                      I would love to know who to get ahold of to present some of the work I have that would be suitable for postcards. I have no clue who that would be or how I would even go about presenting such an idea to anyone. Any suggestions you might have on that one would be great as well. I thought about making my own but that really is not a cost effective way to sell any work I might have.

                      Thanks again for the compliments on the shots though. They are appealing but I know I could be much better. I am studying hard and I think getting a bit better all the time.

                      Please explain the filters if you get time. I will take all the teaching I can get:-)

                      Oh yeah, do you know any good groups for Paint Shop as a photo editor?

                      Thanks again,

                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 2, 2003
                        Thanks a bunch Richard! I am very happy you enjoyed them.

                        <dougdecker@e...> wrote:
                        > Dear G,
                        > First things first. I really like the first two shots. Especially
                        the
                        > one from the "Great Room." Then I got to #9. I really like the way
                        you
                        > managed to capture the color of the sunset without the glare of
                        the sun
                        > coming in from the side of the picture. Great shot.
                        >
                        > I also enjoyed #15 and (just my opinion) think that it might look
                        great
                        > as a B&W. But then I tend to like B&W and you might not.
                        >
                        > Thanks for sharing the photo's. Almost makes me want to own
                        another
                        > farm myself.
                        >
                        > OT - I really like the page layout and the slideshow feature. I
                        was
                        > wondering what software you use for this.
                        >
                        > Thanks again.
                        >
                        > Doug in Houston

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                        Photographic Techniques

                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 2, 2003
                          G,

                          Thanks for the feedback on the Farm, one of my persona ambitions is to own a
                          large chunck of mother earth to call my own. And, to keep the politicians
                          and developers out._grin

                          Most cameras that arn't the more expensive (and even some of them) don't
                          show you the entire scene through the vf. Nikon's F5, F3 did. Not sure about
                          the Canons. The D100 is only 93% I think. This can be difficult to work
                          with. Most of us tend to compose in the vf and not knowing what else is
                          being included makes it difficult.

                          Some will say to just use PS or Paint Shop or something to crop it out, but
                          I submit slides once a month for a group criticquing. So, I wouldn't be able
                          to crop or fix any mistakes. That's why a lot of pros will pay the money and
                          buy the cameras that do give you 100% of the scene in the vf.

                          Filters are another point on the big learning curve of photography.
                          Polarizers, NDs and Split NDs are the most common for color. Red, Green and
                          Maybe Orange would be added for B&W.

                          Again, I suggest heading down to Borders or the internet and buying the
                          annual edition of Photographer's Market. (I have the 2003 edition you can
                          have) which is the bible of marketing your images. Something for everyone in
                          that book. You would be surprised at what sells.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 2, 2003
                            --- G <clara66_66@...> wrote: > Thanks Andy,

                            > I am just now getting into being able to get filters and
                            > such for my camera. It requires an adapter and a step up
                            > ring first.

                            Pop-out lens, eh? It's worth it, though.

                            > I do have a Polerizer filter I picked up for
                            > landscape shots. Just no way to attach it just yet. Is
                            > that the same as the filter you are referring to?

                            No. You *also* want a polarizer. A polarizer will make
                            the sky bluer and will reduce reflections that cause
                            unwanted highlights. It will darken the whole scene by a
                            stop or two. The split ND grad will allow you to darken
                            just *part* of the scene by a stop or two (depending on the
                            filter). So in this case you'd darken the sky, which
                            allows the camera to take a longer exposure so the net
                            effect is that it *lightens* the foreground, thereby
                            reducing the 'silhouette' effect.

                            > Lemme know if those filters are the same and anything
                            > else about filters you might have in mind.

                            There are books and books written on filters. It's be
                            tough to cover it all here in one message.

                            Andy

                          • Canadian Nikonian
                            Message 13 of 13 , Dec 2, 2003
                              <fyrframe@...> wrote: >

                              > Most cameras that arn't the more expensive (and even some
                              > of them) don't
                              > show you the entire scene through the vf. Nikon's F5, F3
                              > did. Not sure about
                              > the Canons. The D100 is only 93% I think.

                              Close... 95%

                              Andy