Re: Studio Equipment

  • louies_photos
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 1, 2003
      Instead of buying backdrops I made my own. Go to your local fabric
      store, buy white muslin fabric that is 10 feet wide to whatever
      length you want, buy some fabric dye then follow the dye
      instructions. For me this was a cheap way to get backdrops for about
      $40 dollars each.

      --- In photographic-techniques@yahoogroups.com, "Mario Medrano"
      <mariopos@s...> wrote:
      > I need to find a good place to purchase some studio backdrops, I
      really haven't found a place to purchase them, do any of you know of
      good place that will studio backdrops at reasonable prices $100-$300
      dollars.?????

      > Mario

    • zyxyz999
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 2, 2003
        <mariopos@s...> wrote:
        > I need to find a good place to purchase some studio backdrops, I
        really haven't found a place to purchase them, do any of you know of
        good place that will studio backdrops at reasonable prices $100-$300
        dollars.?????

        > Mario

        $100-$300??? I think I'd go to the linen shop in K-mart and look
        through the king sized sheets and blankets first. That's gotta be
        cheaper.

        -Z
      • beka
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 2, 2003
          Oh, I love that idea!

          Beka
          ~Uniquely Designed~
          Custom Handcrafted Jewelry

          > I need to find a good place to purchase some studio backdrops, I
          really haven't found a place to purchase them, do any of you know of
          good place that will studio backdrops at reasonable prices $100-$300
          dollars.?????

          > Mario

          $100-$300??? I think I'd go to the linen shop in K-mart and look
          through the king sized sheets and blankets first. That's gotta be
          cheaper.

          -Z

        • Mark Alan Dando
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 2, 2003
            Yes, That is by far the best approach for a savings. Here is a source for muslins, you often can buy remenants. http://www.chicagocanvas.com

            Best hunting!

            MARK

            <mariopos@s...> wrote:
            > I need to find a good place to purchase some studio backdrops, I
            really haven't found a place to purchase them, do any of you know of
            good place that will studio backdrops at reasonable prices $100-$300
            dollars.?????

            > Mario

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Photographic Techniques

          • Chris Sherwood
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 2, 2003
              [] From: zyxyz999 [mailto:zyxyz999@...]
              [] <mariopos@s...> wrote:
              [] > I need to find a good place to purchase some studio backdrops, I
              [] really haven't found a place to purchase them, do any of you know of
              [] good place that will studio backdrops at reasonable prices $100-$300
              [] dollars.?????
              []
              [] $100-$300??? I think I'd go to the linen shop in K-mart and look
              [] through the king sized sheets and blankets first. That's gotta be
              [] cheaper.

              I too am looking for backdrops, for a shoot this weekend, and am
              probably going to get some 110" wide muslin from the fabric store... and
              maybe a roll of seamless paper from the photo store ($40?).

              But this guy plans on using these shots for a web site and a portfolio,
              showing to customers (custom furniture). I'm not even a pro, but if I
              was, I'd be damned embarrassed to show up with bed sheets. But yeah, I'm
              currently on a tight budget too.

              If I was a pro, I would invest in the business, and that means using
              quality, capable gear. Use good glass? Then don't put crappy stuff in
              front of your good glass.

              How about frames/hangers folks? I'm thinking of using gaffers tape, or
              if I have to hang it, getting some PVC pipe or a curtain rod. This guy
              I'm shooting for this weekend wants good shots (so I'll use good
              materials for the backdrop), but he's also a friend who won't mind me
              going on the cheap a bit.

              Chris
            • Chris Sherwood
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 2, 2003
                My fabric store sells it for not much more than this.

                Question: It comes at the store in a ream, which means a 108" length is
                going to be folded at least once or twice. Do you just use it that way,
                or do you iron it out and roll it from that point on?

                Chris

                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 5, 2003
                  Hi Chris, If you are still talking about muslins for a background that can be painted or dyed, the answer is yes it can come in a ream although purchasing the remnants are the tail end of the ream roll and is usual a discounted price when you buy what is left over. at your fabric store you may not have this option if it is in the beginning or middle of the ream. Does it need ironed? No. The unique properties of a muslin is the wrinkled look, and when you photograph portraits with a long focal length you often shoot with a large aperture which in turn will mute the detail of the background or wrinkles that may be present.

                  MARK

                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 5, 2003
                    On of my instructors in a studio photography class last term show us how to easily & cheaply make decent looking backdrops.

                    I go to Wal-Mart, K-Mart, even Goodwill sometimes. I use King and Queen size sheets. I prefer white, but any off-white or beige works well.

                    I then purchase Rit fabric dye to color them.

                    Put down a piece of plastic or tarp (as to not stain your floor), lay out the sheet, take the Rit dye (full strength) and a sponge and a bowl. You then use the sponge to spread out the dye Jackson Pollock style. Kinda' splatter it around uneven-like. When you're through take and wad it up in a plastic bag and let it sit over night. The next day, take it out and hang it up to dry, preferably outside. DO NOT PUT IT INTO YOUR CLOTHS DRYER.

                    Here is a self portrait I did for a class project using the last one I made.

                    http://profiles.yahoo.com/scottmphoto .

                    This works really well and is quite cheap compared to buying a 'pro' backdrop.

                    Scott

                  • G
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 7, 2003
                      I ran into the problem of not being able to afford the backdrops. I went a purchased a chroma key backgroud and now I have an over abundance of backdrop possiblilities.
                      Just a thought.
                      ~g
                      Chris Sherwood <chrisshe@...> wrote:[] From: zyxyz999 [mailto:zyxyz999@...]
                      [] <mariopos@s...> wrote:
[...]