RE: [photographic-techniques] New Member Intro

  • satelliteman1000@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30, 2002
      Welcome Gregory, I think I know how you feel, I am 40 and have always
      love photography and have been doing it seriously for about a year now.
      I went back to school at a local state collage studying photography and
      digital imaging.

      Have you posted any of your work? I'm sure we would all love to see some
      of your work!

      Regards, Jim

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2002
        Hi Gregory,
        Thanks for the intro. I think I may have gotten in over my head on this one. I've just started my photography career, and I don't understand alot that y'all are talking about. I work in a little studio. It could almost be classified as fast food photography....lol. But this is something I have always wanted to do. I am living a dream. As I watch tv or read a magazine, all I see are poses... Silly huh? I have a camera that is in one position, I have to use the same lighting, and yet I try to be versatile. As soon as I start understanding what y'all are talking about, I know I will learn alot. Sounds crazy, doesn't it? ;) My biggest problem right now is my group photos. We can fit up to 11 people, but, I'm not sure on how to position them. Anyway, thanks again for the intro.
        Colleen
        Gregory david Stempel <fyrframe@...> wrote:Hello,

        A quick introduction.

        I am a freelance photographer and videographer. I recently quit working for
        a television station at AT&T as a videographer/editor. As a photographer I
        have been shooting since the early seventies. Now I tend to shoot
        journalism and nature and collect old cameras and paraphernalia as well.

        I can still remember how exited I would get when discovering a new how-to or
        pictorial book on photography in the beginning. Sitting up late a night
        relishing every page.

        Take care,
        Gregory david Stempel
        FIREFRAMEi m a g i n g

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        Photographic Techniques

      • Gregory david Stempel
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 1, 2002
          Colleen,

          You are not in over your head, you are simply at a point in your learning
          curve. Part of photography's fascination is it's versatility and this can
          make it look like that learning curve is very steep.

          Just keep in mind rules are simply road signs, simple guides to where you
          are, not necessarily where you're supposed to go.

          Any time you need help, post me, evenly privately if you like. I will gladly
          try to point you in the right direction.

          I have been at this for 30 years and still ask questions.

          Take care,
          Gregory david Stempel
          FIREFRAMEi m a g i n g
        • Gregory david Stempel
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 1, 2002
            Thanks for the welcome everyone, appreciate it.

            Yes, I have published and posted. I am building a website as we speak and
            will post when it's completed.

            I am on another mailing list I recommend, PhotoForum. One of the nice things
            about that list is each Sunday, members of the list post their latest
            favorite image for the rest of the list to view and critique. A wonderful
            learning venue and great to see your own images next to other shooters who
            are anywhere along the learning curve of imaging.

            Of course, some of the critiques can sting a little._grin

            Take care,
            Gregory david Stempel
            FIREFRAMEi m a g i n g