Fw: New course blues

  • hiddenone14uk@yahoo.co.uk
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2001
      I'm on a photography course and need to do a write up for it. The
      problem I have is knowing where to start.

      Here are what is required:

      Stage 1: Collect and analyse historical and contemporary images
      related to this project.
      Stage 2: Write an outline of your intentions.
      Stage 3: Create your own images, use appropriate techniques (film and
      equipment).
      Stage 4: Process and print film (minimum 3 images, minimum size 5 x 7
      inches).
      Stage 5: Mount images appropriately.
      Stage 6: Evaluate your work in written form and during crit. session.

      I have already done Stages 3 and 4 but am stuck with the others. For
      the first stage I have to cut out pictures from magazines and write
      about them. And in the second stage I have to write about my
      intentions of the pictures I have taken. Totally lost here, as I just
      don't know how to begin.

      How best do you mount your pictures? Some people on the course are
      buying drawing books and sticking them in with glue. I personally
      don't like this idea and wanted a nicer presentation. Any ideas? I
      can't afford a portfolio or photo album tyle file, so like something
      cheap that could be created at home.

      And stage three has me banging my head against the wall aswell.

      I know this is supposed to be easy but I just don't seem to be able to
      do it. Maybe it's because it's my first project, and need to leg up
      to get me started. Hopefully after this, the write ups will be much
      easier as I'll have something to base it off.

      Any advice or examples would be very helpful!

      Bob
    • Colin Anderson
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2001
        Bob,

        By the sounds of it you must be doing the C&G photo course? If so, you
        should ask your tutor if you can have a look at some previous project files.
        You might be able to glean some inspiration from them.

        I unfortunately have had to drop out of mine to lack of funds for developing
        films etc. Hopefully I'll be able to do it gain next year instead.

        Some suggestions for stage 1 if it is the C&G course. Look for images
        related to work, rest and play and write about how you think they relate to
        those subjects. The association doesn't have to be obvious. Check out some
        historical books, these should have plenty of pictures of work, rest and
        play related to the period in which they were taken. Then you can look for
        more modern books on a similar theme.

        I would just mount your pictures on card. I don't think they looking for you
        to do matboard cut-outs etc.. Make sure you choose the right colour of card
        to go with the image though. yellow or lurid green probably wouldn't be
        appropriate :)

        For evaluation just write about how you feel about the image, and try and
        put in your reasons for those feelings. Say whether you think the images are
        good, bad, strong or weak.

        Finally, speak to your tutor about your concerns, they will no doubt have
        much better advice to give than I.

        HTH,
        Colin.

        ------
        "The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in
        return."
        - from Nature Boy by eden ahbez

        "Noli Illegitimus Carborundum"

      • hiddenone14uk@yahoo.co.uk
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 27, 2001
          Thanks for your help on this. You will be glad to know that I did
          manage to complete it, and impressed the teacher aswell.

          Bob