K K Looks

  • sfzjohn37205
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 4, 2009
      Another pic from last week's high key shoot. Culling 300+ shots down to about 20. K K Ryder went through a sequence of poses, expressions and costumes and I went through a sequence of composition and Photoshop edits. Here's another one:
      http://www.pbase.com/sfzjohn/image/114592259/original

      John Ford
      www.pbase.com/sfzjohn
    • Baume Foto
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 4, 2009
        it's a nice portrait, but you have underexposed the shot for this to be high key.  I see from the exif your exposure was set to f/11, you may have gotten away with f/8 and had way less contrast.  A white background doesn't make a high key shot--it's about the contrast in light.  your shot should approach looking washed out, and have no shadows.  That said, high key is difficult. to achieve!

        This shot is perfectly exposed--but not for it to be high key.  When I shoot with a white background--though I don't shoot high key-- I like to use two lights on the background, white reflective umbrellas,  and for the subject I like to use shoot thru umbrellas, for flatter lighting.

        If you're shooting in a studio, try placing large sheets of white foam core on the side walls, this will help with a little fill.

        ______________________________
        Evan  Baumhofer alias "Baume"

        www.baumefoto.zenfolio.com
        mobile:
        baume_fotoarte@...

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 5, 2009
          Are you sure about the color balance in this one?
          On Sat, 2009-07-04 at 22:59 +0000, sfzjohn37205 wrote:
          > Another pic from last week's high key shoot. Culling 300+ shots down to about 20. K K Ryder went through a sequence of poses, expressions and costumes and I went through a sequence of composition and Photoshop edits. Here's another one:
          > http://www.pbase.com/sfzjohn/image/114592259/original
          >
          > John Ford
          > www.pbase.com/sfzjohn

        • sfzjohn37205
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 5, 2009
            James,

            I've had 3 comments on this pic about skin tone/color balance. I do think I forgot a simple step that I often do at the end of a retouch. Some time ago, I checked out Photoshop Mama's YouTube retouch videos:
            http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=photoshopmama&view=playlists

            She has several skin tone adjustment techniques. I tried one that I had forgotten about this morning and it took away the yellow cast that folks have mentioned. Photoshop Mama shows a simple levels trick that she does at the end of the edit at the top of a layer stack. I've used it many times in the past, just forgot it this time.

            John Ford
            www.pbase.com/sfzjohn