Do you like any of these shots?

  • Lisa Larson
    Message 1 of 18 , May 3, 2009
      I really don't care for the original so I tried to make it B&W, but
      I'm not sure that I like either of them, either. What do you all
      think? Anything you all would do differently (other than move the sun
      so the reflection behind it isn't so bright)? Thanks for looking -
      C&C welcome!

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/llarsonphotography/3497178601/

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/llarsonphotography/3497993208/

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/llarsonphotography/3497993676/in/photostream/

      Lisa Larson
      llarson@...
      www.larsonphotography.net

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/llarsonphotography/

      If it's not fatal it's no big deal!

    • montecomeau
      Message 2 of 18 , May 3, 2009
        Maybe some fill flash on the statue and a wider Aperture to blur out the background building?

        --- In photographic-techniques@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Larson <llarson@...> wrote:

        > I really don't care for the original so I tried to make it B&W, but
        > I'm not sure that I like either of them, either. What do you all
        > think? Anything you all would do differently (other than move the sun
        > so the reflection behind it isn't so bright)? Thanks for looking -
        > C&C welcome!
        >
        > http://www.flickr.com/photos/llarsonphotography/3497178601/
        >
        > http://www.flickr.com/photos/llarsonphotography/3497993208/
        >
        > http://www.flickr.com/photos/llarsonphotography/3497993676/in/photostream/
        >

        > Lisa Larson
        > llarson@...
        > www.larsonphotography.net
        >
        > http://www.flickr.com/photos/llarsonphotography/
        >
        > If it's not fatal it's no big deal!

      • bettye
        Message 3 of 18 , May 3, 2009
          http://vmagazine.com/article.php?n=12724&p=3

          do you think that's an aqua background...or a white background with colored
          lights and/or gels? I mean, there's definitely colored lights/gels as you
          can see the bluish cast on the model's skin...and do gels ever go over the
          lens (don't know enough to know if this is a stupid question), or always on
          the flash?

          thanks.

          Bettye L. Rainwater
          Dragonfly Vintage Clothing for Modern Vintage Style!
          http://stores.ebay.com/dragonflyvintageclothing?refid=store
          365 Days in Islip - a photoblog http://365daysinislip.blogspot.com/
          365 Days in My House - a photoblog http://365daysinmyhouse.blogspot.com/
          29 Things in 29 Days -
          http://givingchallenge.ning.com/profile/BettyeLRainwater

        • Lisa Larson
          Message 4 of 18 , May 3, 2009
            Unfortunately all I have with me on this trip is my little Canon
            P&S.........Thanks for the thoughts, though......I now really wish I
            had brought the D80 with me.......

            Lisa Larson
            llarson@...
            www.larsonphotography.net

            On May 3, 2009, at 1:54 PM, montecomeau wrote:

            > Maybe some fill flash on the statue and a wider Aperture to blur out
            > the background building?
            >
            > --- In photographic-techniques@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Larson
            > <llarson@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I really don't care for the original so I tried to make it B&W, but
            > > I'm not sure that I like either of them, either. What do you all
            > > think? Anything you all would do differently (other than move the
            > sun
            > > so the reflection behind it isn't so bright)? Thanks for looking -
            > > C&C welcome!
            > >
            > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/llarsonphotography/3497178601/
            > >
            > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/llarsonphotography/3497993208/
            > >
            > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/llarsonphotography/3497993676/in/photostream/
            > >

            > > Lisa Larson
            > > llarson@...
            > > www.larsonphotography.net
            > >
            > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/llarsonphotography/
            > >
            > > If it's not fatal it's no big deal!

          • Baume Foto
            Message 5 of 18 , May 3, 2009
              I haven't looked at the exif data, but this shot begs for a telephoto/long lens and shallow depth of field to blur the background.  and fill flash to bring more detail into the shadows.

              in bright, sunny conditions, spot meter your background and subj, or brightest and darkest portions of your composition.  most digital cameras cannot handle a large difference in range--making us choose between burned highlights or no detail in the shadows, so it's advisable to pop a little flash to fill-in the shadows.  try manual at low power or try "balanced" if you're a TTL shooter.

              ______________________________
              Evan  Baumhofer alias "Baume"

              www.baumefoto.zenfolio.com
              mobile 01762-515-9492
              baume_fotoarte@...

              llarson@c5i. net
              www.larsonphotograp hy.net

              Message 6 of 18 , May 3, 2009
                Thanks. All I have with me is my little P&S, so I did the best I could
                with it. Thanks again for looking and giving me your opinion!

                Lisa Larson
                llarson@...
                www.larsonphotography.net

                On May 3, 2009, at 2:12 PM, Baume Foto wrote:

                > I haven't looked at the exif data, but this shot begs for a
                > telephoto/long lens and shallow depth of field to blur the
                > background. and fill flash to bring more detail into the shadows.
                >
                > in bright, sunny conditions, spot meter your background and subj, or
                > brightest and darkest portions of your composition. most digital
                > cameras cannot handle a large difference in range--making us choose
                > between burned highlights or no detail in the shadows, so it's
                > advisable to pop a little flash to fill-in the shadows. try manual
                > at low power or try "balanced" if you're a TTL shooter.
                >
                > ______________________________
                > Evan Baumhofer alias "Baume"
                >
                > www.baumefoto.zenfolio.com
                > mobile 01762-515-9492
                > baume_fotoarte@...

              • J Bryan Kramer
                Message 7 of 18 , May 3, 2009
                  She has something of a green cast so I'm guessing gelled lights

                  BK

                • J Bryan Kramer
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 3, 2009
                    Oh if you used a green/aqua filter on the lens the cast would be much
                    stronger and the other colors affected.

                    BK

                    --
                    �It often seems to me that the night is much more alive and richly colored
                    than the day."

                    Vincent van Gogh

                    J Bryan Kr�mer North Florida, USA
                    photos at: http://pbase.com/photoburner
                    blog at: http://www.photoburner.net

                  • montecomeau
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 3, 2009
                      I would force the flash on for these, at a lower power.
                      Your P&S should be able to do that.

                      > Thanks. All I have with me is my little P&S, so I did the best I could
                      > with it.
                    • Baume Foto
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 3, 2009
                        well these images have been heavily processed, for sure.  so you're probably seeing a mixture of it all: colored background, gels, and editing.

                        generally, gels go on the flash heads; some mono lights have filter holders and you can just slide a framed gel right into it, or you slap on a "snoot" and you can fit a gel on the skinny end of it,  or, if you're like me, you just use masking tape, and tape a gel onto the light.  I use gels on speed lights, too.

                        ______________________________
                        Evan  Baumhofer alias "Baume"

                        www.baumefoto.zenfolio.com
                        mobile 01762-515-9492
                        baume_fotoarte@...

                        Message 11 of 18 , May 3, 2009
                          Might run out later and give it a try!

                          Lisa Larson
                          llarson@...
                          www.larsonphotography.net

                          On May 3, 2009, at 2:29 PM, montecomeau wrote:

                          > I would force the flash on for these, at a lower power.
                          > Your P&S should be able to do that.
                          >
                          > > Thanks. All I have with me is my little P&S, so I did the best I
                          > could
                          > > with it.

                        • J Bryan Kramer
                          Message 12 of 18 , May 3, 2009
                            For small flashes you can buy a sample kit of gels from Rosco. You stick two
                            small tabs of velcro on each side of the flash head and two very small, i
                            mean maybe 1/4 inch square or 5 mm square tabs of the opposite velcro on the
                            gel ends and then you can just stick the gel to the flash and peel it off
                            easily.

                            BK

                            Message 13 of 18 , May 3, 2009
                              my set-up is a strobe with softbox...set-off by my (on-camera) speedlight
                              pointed up at the ceiling. if I point the speedlight straight at the model I
                              get that awful "halo" on the background (I have limited space so the model
                              can only come forward a couple feet from the background/wall). so what would
                              I "color" to get that effect?? with my pointed-up on-camera flash, would it
                              make any aqua-ish glow at all if I gelled the flash? I mean, would it
                              "carry" through the bounce off the ceiling?

                              if i...draped some yardage of aqua tulle (that lightweight netty fabric)
                              over the front of my softbox, would that do anything?

                              Message 14 of 18 , May 3, 2009
                                That shot was done with multiple lights, a main and background light and
                                probably a fill light. The background light was gelled and maybe the fill
                                light (but maybe with a weaker gel), the main light not gelled. You cannot
                                reproduce the effect with one light.

                                BK

                                Message 15 of 18 , May 3, 2009
                                  ideally, you'd use two lights--one for model, one for background, and gel the background light.  It sounds like your on-camera flash is contributing to the exposure --you only need very minimal power to trip the mono light's optical slave...

                                  That said, anything you place between your main light and subject will affect your subject.

                                  Have you looked in to radio triggers?  search "cactus"  you need a way for your speedlight to contribute to the overall effort.  a radio trigger would let you place your speedlight anywhere you want--and the beauty is, you'd only need a transmitter and one receiver (your monolight's optical slave would still be triggered by the flash).

                                  ______________________________
                                  Evan  Baumhofer alias "Baume"

                                  www.baumefoto.zenfolio.com
                                  mobile 01762-515-9492
                                  baume_fotoarte@...

                                  Message 16 of 18 , May 3, 2009
                                    I forgot - I actually do have a second speedlight! Someone gave me their old
                                    one when they got a fancy new one. I've always meant to figure out how to
                                    rig it up on the stand - to use as a hair light, or, in this case, as a
                                    background light. So I could gel that, to "aqua-ize" the background, anyway.

                                    I bought a wireless trigger and it stunk. It was unreliable, didn't always
                                    trigger the strobe, and I finally just gave up on it and started using my
                                    speedlight on the camera. I'm low budget...low low how low can u go...so
                                    haven't tried investing in a better one (this was a $25 ebay trigger).
                                    Someday that will be a nice thing to have, but I can't do it right now.

                                    I'll let you guys see how I make out with this when I get the model and
                                    dress together....

                                    Thanks :-)

                                    Bettye L. Rainwater
                                    Dragonfly Vintage Clothing for Modern Vintage Style!
                                    http://stores.ebay.com/dragonflyvintageclothing?refid=store
                                    365 Days in Islip - a photoblog http://365daysinislip.blogspot.com/
                                    365 Days in My House - a photoblog http://365daysinmyhouse.blogspot.com/
                                    29 Things in 29 Days -
                                    http://givingchallenge.ning.com/profile/BettyeLRainwater

                                  • hakki
                                    Message 17 of 18 , May 4, 2009
                                      I liked the colour one.
                                      The statu is too dark, so,in color I liked it better.

                                      www.hephotos.blogspot.com

                                      On May 3, 2009, at 2:29 PM, montecomeau wrote:

                                      > I would force the flash on for these, at a lower power.
                                      > Your P&S should be able to do that.
                                      >
                                      > > Thanks. All I have with me is my little P&S, so I did the best I
                                      > could
                                      > > with it.

                                    • bettye
                                      Message 18 of 18 , May 4, 2009
                                        Check this out! How to make your own colored gels with a color printer and
                                        transparency paper....

                                        http://celticland.com/about/?p=278