help with film choice please ?

  • uffda247
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2002
      Its been about 5 years since I did any serious photography, but I
      used to have a pretty good amateur eye. I've been asked to photograph
      my nephew's Eagle Scout ceremony. It will be held in a church, with
      the usual questionable lighting found in traditional churches. I'll
      be using a tripod, no flash, and be set up at a fair distance and
      angle to the front (probably set up in the leftmost aisle, several
      rows back). I've got 2 zoom lenses for my Canon Elan - up to 300mm,
      but they are not very fast. The subjects will be things like: color
      guard, singers, speakers, presentations, etc.

      I've been asked to shoot prints. I can't go to the site in advance to
      actually sample the available light.

      What film, brand and speed, would y'all suggest for this situation?
      Any other technical suggestions or thoughts for this project?

      Thanks in advance for your help,

      Lisa
    • grubbreese
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2002
        Lisa,
        I cannot give you any sage advice but here is what I think I would do:

        Tell them that I was doing a shoot at the zoo and an elephant sat on
        my camera and smashed it into a thousand pieces. I am really sorry
        but I will have to pass on shooting your Scout ceremony :>(

        Grubb

        --- In photographic-techniques@y..., "uffda247" <uffda247@y...> wrote:
        > Its been about 5 years since I did any serious photography, but I
        > used to have a pretty good amateur eye. I've been asked to
        photograph
        > my nephew's Eagle Scout ceremony.

        SNIP

        > Thanks in advance for your help,
        >
        > Lisa
      • Barry Sommers
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1, 2002
          this is taken with a Kodak DC215 on a tripod and you see
          the 2 100 watt bulbs and the wall is 30 feet away. Not
          much of a picture but an might do the job in a pinch.

          BS

          --- grubbreese <grubbreese@...> wrote:
          > Lisa,
          > I cannot give you any sage advice but here is what I
          > think I would do:
          >
          > Tell them that I was doing a shoot at the zoo and an
          > elephant sat on
          > my camera and smashed it into a thousand pieces. I am
          > really sorry
          > but I will have to pass on shooting your Scout ceremony
          > :>(
          >
          > Grubb
          >

          > --- In photographic-techniques@y..., "uffda247"
          > <uffda247@y...> wrote:
          > > Its been about 5 years since I did any serious
          > photography, but I
          > > used to have a pretty good amateur eye. I've been asked
          > photograph
          > > my nephew's Eagle Scout ceremony.
          >
          > SNIP
          >
          > > Thanks in advance for your help,
          > >
          > > Lisa

        • durgadas acharya
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 1, 2002
            dear lisa,

            my sugestion would be that you use a fast film 400asa and above to take care of any lighting situations.further more it is also adviseable to shoot 1-11/2 stops over the exposure shown in the camera meter to compensate for shadows that may be formed on the face of the subject.but after all you r the person on the feild actually taking the shots use your own discreation. hope this will sufice.

            P.S. :if possible reach the place 1 hour before the ceremony during which you could gauge the lighting condition.

            durgadas

          • BENJAMIN KANAREK
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 2, 2002
              I would seriously look into Kodak Portra 160VC for
              negative film and Fuji Provia 100F for slide film.

              Benjamin Kanarek

              --- uffda247 <uffda247@...> wrote: > Its been
              about 5 years since I did any serious
              > photography, but I
              > used to have a pretty good amateur eye. I've been
              > asked to photograph
              > my nephew's Eagle Scout ceremony. It will be held in
              > a church, with
              > the usual questionable lighting found in traditional
              > churches. I'll
              > be using a tripod, no flash, and be set up at a fair
              > distance and
              > angle to the front (probably set up in the leftmost
              > aisle, several
              > rows back). I've got 2 zoom lenses for my Canon Elan
              > - up to 300mm,
              > but they are not very fast. The subjects will be
              > things like: color
              > guard, singers, speakers, presentations, etc.
              >
              > I've been asked to shoot prints. I can't go to the
              > site in advance to
              > actually sample the available light.
              >
              > What film, brand and speed, would y'all suggest for
              > this situation?
              > Any other technical suggestions or thoughts for this
              > project?
              >
              > Thanks in advance for your help,
              >
              > Lisa

              http://uk.my.yahoo.com
            • David Grabowski
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 2, 2002
                If you want to shoot color negative film I would use Fuji NHG II 800 speed film. This will give you some room for error, it will under expose a stop and half without much for ill effects. I use this for weddings, it's very fine grained for its speed and produces very nice color rendering of skin tones as well as clothing.

                There is a new version out now, I'm not sure it's available in 35mm. though, it's higher contrast and more forgiving yet to under exposure from all accounts thus far. This films designation is Fuji NPZ and is also an 800 speed film.

                As to shooting this: Is there a balcony? With an event like this you need to get up over the crowd a bit.

                David Grabowski
                What film, brand and speed, would y'all suggest for this situation?
                Any other technical suggestions or thoughts for this project?

                Thanks in advance for your help,

                Lisa

                Photographic Techniques

              • stevejobrien
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 2, 2002
                  The films I would recomend are certainly the Fuji NPZ800 but I would
                  tend to rely more on either Fuji NPH400 or Fuji NPS160. I have found
                  these films to be fantastic with their colour rendition and wile the
                  NPS160 is quite saturated it is not as bold as some. It will mainly
                  depend on your lighting, indoor or out, and remember colour
                  corrections for indoor lighting. I have used all the films above in
                  wedding shoots indoors with room lights and flash and outdoors with
                  natural light and found that they do tend to get the yellow tinge
                  under normal type bulbs so care is needed. Apart from the films
                  listed above I can only think of using the consumer range of Fuji
                  Films as they are about half the price and more tolerant to lighting
                  conditions but you will lose on the deep saturation of the pro films.
                  Good luck with it.
                  Steve

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 3, 2002
                    --- In photographic-techniques@y..., "stevejobrien"
                    <stevejobrien@y...> wrote:
                    > The films I would recomend are certainly the Fuji NPZ800 but I
                    would
                    > tend to rely more on either Fuji NPH400 or Fuji NPS160. ... It will
                    >mainly
                    > depend on your lighting, indoor or out, and remember colour
                    > corrections for indoor lighting.

                    thanks for all the suggestions -

                    I have a hunch that the lighting will be mixed - indoor lighting with
                    sunlight streaming through the windows, possibly through stained
                    glass as well.

                    Lisa