Flash ???

  • kevinkeef
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 2, 2008
      I have a flash unit that I bought at a thrift store for .39 and can not
      find anythibg on it. It is a Soligor, it has an exposure chart, a tab
      that say's AC. 100-120V, an Off-On switch, and a adjustable attachment
      on the back, a connection pin, and a thumb screw on the bottom, and on
      the front below the flash there is a tab that say's Soligor DC Pack,
      and if your looking at the back of the unit it has a small white butten
      on the left side, the unit is light/dark grey, there is no other
      markings.

      Can anyone help me identify this flash.

      Thank You
    • Shirley
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 3, 2008
        I have a Canon 30D and would like to buy an off camera flash.. any suggestions

        shirley

        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 3, 2008
          What is your budget and what do you want to do with it? Do you need ETTL?

          BK

          On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 18:21, Shirley <sherbert@...> wrote:

          > I have a Canon 30D and would like to buy an off camera flash.. any
          > suggestions
          >
          > shirley

          ""It often seems to me that the night is much more alive and richly colored
          than the day."

          Vincent van Gogh
          J Bryan Krämer
          North Florida, USA
          photos at:
          http://pbase.com/photoburner

        • Shirley
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 3, 2008
            what is ETTL... ? I want to be able to take portraits indoors without oncamera flash.. I do not like the flatlighting... I want to be able to bounce the light

            thanks

            budget, I have no idea right now what they cost...

            I have been debating about a different lens but am wondering if I should go for a off camera flash first

            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 3, 2008
              ETTL is what lets the flash and the camera talk to each other. Canon brand
              flashes mainly. There are a number of Canon flashes ranging from the 430 to
              the 580:

              <
              http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/397664-GREY/Canon_0298B002_430EX_Speedlite_TTL_Shoe_Mount.html

              <
              http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/486706-USA/Canon_1946B002_580EX_II_Flash.html

              The 580EX is the most powerful and sophisticated but costs more. You might
              get by with the 430EX which is not as powerful and doesn't have all the
              features but which is over a $100 cheaper. You can also look for a 550EX
              which is the discontinued version before the 580EX.

              There are a lot of third party flashes, Metz for example, that do not
              support ETTL and thus the photographer would have to have a lot more
              knowledge to use. The Sigma EF-500 is more powerful than the 430EX and does
              support ETTL but I have heard comments about the build quality being less
              sturdy. It's around $200.

              This might help you:

              <http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/>

              And if those are out of your price range and you want to learn how to do it
              yourself go to the strobist.com and read the 101 and 102 tutorials.

              BK

              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 3, 2008
                I have seen some flash units that seem like they are way off the camera..... taller maybe... not sure....

              • grspette66@aol.com
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 4, 2008
                  It is a SOLIGAR flash. What else are your needing?

                  Jerry

                  In a message dated 12/2/2008 1:05:08 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                  kevinkeef@... writes:

                  I have a flash unit that I bought at a thrift store for .39 and can not
                  find anything on it. It is a Soligor, it has an exposure chart, a tab
                  that say's AC. 100-120V, an Off-On switch, and a adjustable attachment
                  on the back, a connection pin, and a thumb screw on the bottom, and on
                  the front below the flash there is a tab that say's Soligor DC Pack,
                  and if your looking at the back of the unit it has a small white butten
                  on the left side, the unit is light/dark grey, there is no other
                  markings.

                  Can anyone help me identify this flash.

                  Thank You

                • pluma1001
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 4, 2008
                    So what camera are you going to be using with the soligor flash? If
                    you are using a DSLR, I would use a flash made for the camera. There
                    are old flashes out there that will smoke a new camera.
                    Chuck M

                    --- In photographic-techniques@yahoogroups.com, grspette66@... wrote:

                    > It is a SOLIGAR flash. What else are your needing?
                    >
                    > Jerry
                    >

                    > In a message dated 12/2/2008 1:05:08 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                    > kevinkeef@... writes:
                    >

                    > I have a flash unit that I bought at a thrift store for .39 and can
                    not
                    > find anything on it. It is a Soligor, it has an exposure chart, a tab
                    > that say's AC. 100-120V, an Off-On switch, and a adjustable attachment
                    > on the back, a connection pin, and a thumb screw on the bottom, and on
                    > the front below the flash there is a tab that say's Soligor DC Pack,
                    > and if your looking at the back of the unit it has a small white
                    butten
                    > on the left side, the unit is light/dark grey, there is no other
                    > markings.
                    >
                    > Can anyone help me identify this flash.
                    >
                    > Thank You
                    >

                    > **************Make your life easier with all your friends, email, and
                    > favorite sites in one place. Try it now.

                  • J Bryan Kramer
                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 4, 2008
                      I would not put that flash on my DSLR since old units can fry the
                      electronics in cameras. Most modern cameras are limited to 6-9 volts as a
                      trigger voltage and older flashes can be more than 500 volts. Look at this
                      list:

                      <http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html>

                      It lists 4 Soligors, two not safe and two might be.

                      BK

                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 4, 2008
                        None of you read my post or if you did, you did not comprehend it.
                        Yes it is a Soligor, I said that in the post. No you can not hook it
                        up to a camera as it has no hot shoe, as stated in the post it has a
                        pin for Ac/DC connection.

                        --- In photographic-techniques@yahoogroups.com, "J Bryan Kramer"
                        <codeburner@...> wrote:

                        > I would not put that flash on my DSLR since old units can fry the
                        > electronics in cameras. Most modern cameras are limited to 6-9
                        volts as a
                        > trigger voltage and older flashes can be more than 500 volts. Look
                        at this
                        > list:
                        >
                        > <http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html>
                        >
                        > It lists 4 Soligors, two not safe and two might be.
                        >
                        > BK
                        >
                        > On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 09:37, <grspette66@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > It is a SOLIGAR flash. What else are your needing?
                        > >
                        > > Jerry
                        > >

                        > > In a message dated 12/2/2008 1:05:08 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                        > > kevinkeef@... writes:
                        > >

                        > > I have a flash unit that I bought at a thrift store for .39 and
                        can not
                        > > find anything on it. It is a Soligor, it has an exposure chart, a
                        tab
                        > > that say's AC. 100-120V, an Off-On switch, and a adjustable
                        attachment
                        > > on the back, a connection pin, and a thumb screw on the bottom,
                        and on
                        > > the front below the flash there is a tab that say's Soligor DC
                        Pack,
                        > > and if your looking at the back of the unit it has a small white
                        butten
                        > > on the left side, the unit is light/dark grey, there is no other
                        > > markings.
                        > >
                        > > Can anyone help me identify this flash.
                        > >
                        > > Thank You
                      • Lawrence
                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 4, 2008
                          Perhaps the connection pin that triggers the flash to fire will send an amount of voltage thru the camera that could possibly fry the electronics, while it may not be attached to the camera, how does it get triggered or know when to set the flash to go off?

                          > None of you read my post or if you did, you did not
                          > comprehend it.
                          > Yes it is a Soligor, I said that in the post. No you can
                          > not hook it
                          > up to a camera as it has no hot shoe, as stated in the post
                          > it has a
                          > pin for Ac/DC connection.
                          >

                          > --- In photographic-techniques@yahoogroups.com, "J
                          > Bryan Kramer"
                          > <codeburner@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I would not put that flash on my DSLR since old units
                          > can fry the
                          > > electronics in cameras. Most modern cameras are
                          > limited to 6-9
                          > volts as a
                          > > trigger voltage and older flashes can be more than 500
                          > volts. Look
                          > at this
                          > > list:
                          > >
                          > > <http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html>
                          > >
                          > > It lists 4 Soligors, two not safe and two might be.
                          > >
                          > > BK
                          > >
                          > > On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 09:37, <grspette66@...>
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > > It is a SOLIGAR flash. What else are your
                          > needing?
                          > > >
                          > > > Jerry
                          > > >

                          > > > In a message dated 12/2/2008 1:05:08 P.M. Eastern
                          > Standard Time,
                          > > > kevinkeef@... writes:
                          > > >

                          > > > I have a flash unit that I bought at a thrift
                          > store for .39 and
                          > can not
                          > > > find anything on it. It is a Soligor, it has an
                          > exposure chart, a
                          > tab
                          > > > that say's AC. 100-120V, an Off-On switch,
                          > and a adjustable
                          > attachment
                          > > > on the back, a connection pin, and a thumb screw
                          > on the bottom,
                          > and on
                          > > > the front below the flash there is a tab that
                          > say's Soligor DC
                          > Pack,
                          > > > and if your looking at the back of the unit it
                          > has a small white
                          > butten
                          > > > on the left side, the unit is light/dark grey,
                          > there is no other
                          > > > markings.
                          > > >
                          > > > Can anyone help me identify this flash.
                          > > >
                          > > > Thank You

                          > (Yahoo! ID required)
                          >
                          > mailto:photographic-techniques-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                        • Baume FotoArte
                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 4, 2008
                            don't castigate people trying to help you.

                            ______________________________
                            Evan  Baumhofer alias "Baume"

                            www.baumefoto.zenfolio.com
                            mobile 01762-515-9492
                            baume_fotoarte@...

                            <codeburner@ ...> wrote:

                            > I would not put that flash on my DSLR since old units can fry the
                            > electronics in cameras. Most modern cameras are limited to 6-9
                            volts as a
                            > trigger voltage and older flashes can be more than 500 volts. Look
                            at this
                            > list:
                            >
                            > <http://www.botzilla .com/photo/ strobeVolts. html>
                            >
                            > It lists 4 Soligors, two not safe and two might be.
                            >
                            > BK
                            >
                            > On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 09:37, <grspette66@ ...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > It is a SOLIGAR flash. What else are your needing?
                            > >
                            > > Jerry
                            > >

                            > > In a message dated 12/2/2008 1:05:08 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                            > > kevinkeef@.. . writes:
                            > >

                            > > I have a flash unit that I bought at a thrift store for .39 and
                            can not
                            > > find anything on it. It is a Soligor, it has an exposure chart, a
                            tab
                            > > that say's AC. 100-120V, an Off-On switch, and a adjustable
                            attachment
                            > > on the back, a connection pin, and a thumb screw on the bottom,
                            and on
                            > > the front below the flash there is a tab that say's Soligor DC
                            Pack,
                            > > and if your looking at the back of the unit it has a small white
                            butten
                            > > on the left side, the unit is light/dark grey, there is no other
                            > > markings.
                            > >
                            > > Can anyone help me identify this flash.
                            > >
                            > > Thank You

                          • pluma1001
                            Message 13 of 19 , Dec 4, 2008
                              some where on the flash is a small plug for a pc cable that will go to
                              the camera pc socket and then you have a good chance of killing your
                              camera. You need to find a good modern flash made for what ever
                              camera that you are going to use. That will give you all the modes
                              that the camera and flash can do.
                              Chuck M

                              --- In photographic-techniques@yahoogroups.com, Baume FotoArte
                              <baume_fotoarte@...> wrote:

                              > don't castigate people trying to help you.
                              >

                              > ______________________________
                              > Evan  Baumhofer alias "Baume"
                              >

                              > www.baumefoto.zenfolio.com
                              > mobile 01762-515-9492
                              > baume_fotoarte@...

                            • J Bryan Kramer
                              Message 14 of 19 , Dec 5, 2008
                                Especially since he didn't explicitly say that there was no hot shoe. Sounds
                                like a studio or maybe a slave flash. You'll have to work google yourself to
                                try to track the model down.

                                BK

                              • Ginger
                                Message 15 of 19 , Dec 5, 2008
                                  I read your post more than once and I still can't comprehend what you're
                                  asking.

                                  - Ginger

                                  > None of you read my post or if you did, you did not comprehend it.
                                  > Yes it is a Soligor, I said that in the post. No you can not hook it
                                  > up to a camera as it has no hot shoe, as stated in the post it has a
                                  > pin for Ac/DC connection.

                                • J Bryan Kramer
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Dec 5, 2008
                                    Sure, you can use a radio trigger or a long sync cord. Some slaves are
                                    triggered by the flash from the master unit.

                                    BK

                                    On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 22:44, Shirley <sherbert@...> wrote:

                                    > I have seen some flash units that seem like they are way off the
                                    > camera..... taller maybe... not sure....

                                  • bettye
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Dec 5, 2008
                                      "I have seen some flash units that seem like they are way off the
                                      camera..... taller maybe... not sure...."

                                      I thought the OP was referring to those bracket things, that mount the flash
                                      up off the camera...like this http://tinyurl.com/63ppdf

                                      Bettye L. Rainwater
                                      Dragonfly Vintage Clothing for Modern Vintage Style!
                                      http://stores.ebay.com/dragonflyvintageclothing?refid=store
                                      365 Days in Islip - a photoblog http://365daysinislip.blogspot.com/
                                      365 Days in My House - a photoblog http://365daysinmyhouse.blogspot.com/

                                    • Martha Chapa
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Dec 13, 2008
                                        KevinKeef,
                                        I am almost positive that your camera uses 4 AA batteries, it won't hurt your camera, but if you have your concerns just try to convert it to a slave flash hooking up a light sensor to trigger it, the light sensor will cost you 6 dollars on eBay, the cord will cost you about 5 dollars at any camera store. Remember, a good flash always has to be charged, if you leave it discharged for long time the capacitor holding the voltage to trigger it will dry.

                                        It might be a Soligor strobe, MK 24ASII. There are several items on the back side of this unit.
                                        There's a calculator dial with various ASA and DIN values, distances, and f/stops.

                                        There's also a 5-position slide switch. The positions are labeled M
                                        (white), A (blue), A (green), A (red), and a white star, the exposure calculator is color coded to match the absolutely red, green.

                                        I am not sure what you mean about AC/DC connection, I do not know any flash that uses a AC/DC Converter, maybe you are talking about the PC Synch connector. You might want to find a PC cable on one end to hook it up to your flash unit and a PC Hot Shoe on the other end to mount it on any camera hot shoe.

                                        There is a two-position slide switch labeled ON and OFF.

                                        There is a READY/TEST light which lit up when you put fresh batteries into
                                        the unit and rapidly turned it on. There's another light labeled C. L.

                                        On the front there is what appears to be a tiny lens, he little lens on the front measures the light output of the flash, so, if the flash is strong your camera shall synchronize to lens aperture (only for the camera that was designed for).

                                        There's a shoe mount but it isn't a hot shoe.

                                        You might find the flash lens pulls out in several steps, which makes
                                        it useful for zoom shots. All the way out for long shots, and in for
                                        wide shots.

                                        With the poor information provided it is hard to identify it, you might identify it yourself looking at the following list of Soligor flash units:

                                        http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/~bldsm/soligor.pdf

                                        Please let me know if this information is of any help.
                                        Regards,
                                        Martha

                                        <baume_fotoarte@ ...> wrote:

                                        > don't castigate people trying to help you.

                                        > ____________ _________ _________

                                        > Evan  Baumhofer alias "Baume"

                                        > www.baumefoto. zenfolio. com

                                        > mobile 01762-515-9492

                                        > baume_fotoarte@ ...

                                        > --- On Fri, 12/5/08, kevinkeef <kevinkeef@. ..> wrote:

                                        > From: kevinkeef <kevinkeef@. ..>

                                        > Subject: [photographic- techniques] Re: Flash ???

                                        > To: photographic- techniques@ yahoogroups. com

                                        > Date: Friday, December 5, 2008, 4:34 AM

                                        > None of you read my post or if you did, you did not comprehend it.

                                        > Yes it is a Soligor, I said that in the post. No you can not hook it

                                        > up to a camera as it has no hot shoe, as stated in the post it has a

                                        > pin for Ac/DC connection.

                                        > --- In photographic- techniques@ yahoogroups. com, "J Bryan Kramer"

                                        > <codeburner@ ...> wrote:

                                        > > I would not put that flash on my DSLR since old units can fry the

                                        > > electronics in cameras. Most modern cameras are limited to 6-9

                                        > volts as a

                                        > > trigger voltage and older flashes can be more than 500 volts. Look

                                        > at this

                                        > > list:

                                        > > <http://www.botzilla .com/photo/ strobeVolts. html>

                                        > > It lists 4 Soligors, two not safe and two might be.

                                        > > BK

                                        > > On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 09:37, <grspette66@ ...> wrote:

                                        > > > It is a SOLIGAR flash. What else are your needing?

                                        > > > Jerry

                                        > > > In a message dated 12/2/2008 1:05:08 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,

                                        > > > kevinkeef@ . writes:

                                        > > > I have a flash unit that I bought at a thrift store for .39 and

                                        > can not

                                        > > > find anything on it. It is a Soligor, it has an exposure chart, a

                                        > tab

                                        > > > that say's AC. 100-120V, an Off-On switch, and a adjustable

                                        > attachment

                                        > > > on the back, a connection pin, and a thumb screw on the bottom,

                                        > and on

                                        > > > the front below the flash there is a tab that say's Soligor DC

                                        > Pack,

                                        > > > and if your looking at the back of the unit it has a small white

                                        > butten

                                        > > > on the left side, the unit is light/dark grey, there is no other

                                        > > > markings.

                                        > > > Can anyone help me identify this flash.

                                        > > > Thank You

                                      • Baume FotoArte