Re: [photographic-techniques] Vote For Me!!!! >> Paul

  • david
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 29, 2008
      I would be interested in your info Paul
      TIA
      david

      On Feb 29, 2008, at 10:00 AM, Book Worm wrote:

      > Sorry to rain on your parade, but Picture.com competitions are a scam.
      > it is just a vanity publishing deal.
      >
      > See
      > http://www.photoethnography.com/blog/archives/2005/05/
      > scams_avoiding.html
      > or do a Google search for Picture.com scam
      >
      > I can supply you with details of how to get your own book printed,
      > withall your best pictures in it, for less than the price
      > Picture.com willcharge you for their book.
      >
      > Paul

    • Baume FotoArte
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 1, 2008
        Hi Greg, it indeed is busy...but for me that defines manhattan, and would define many large urban centers. Nevertheless, I think we can expect some fresh material from Russ. You and BK have given some great feedback!

        while we're talking about manhattan, the one shot out of all that I've ever taken, that I would most love to replicate since having switched to digital is this one:
        http://i.pbase.com/u15/baume_1/upload/4840869.timessquare7.jpg

        I wanted something that invoked the feeling one would have if he just stood on the corner--the world rushing by, masses and throngs of people pushing their way towards whatever it was motivating them to move ahead.

        Oh yeah, I am NOT from Jersey. Are you trying to provoke a flame war??? *grinning* Don't you remember I'm from the land of 10,000 lakes, home of the Wild, land of the Timber wolves...the Iron Range...the prairie..the fried cheese curds...deep fried snickers...walleye on a stick! Minnesota! And to further the provokation...we minnesotans have procliamed Canada to be the northern province of minnesota! hah!

        regards,
        Evan

        Greg Vincent <gvincent@...> wrote:
        Hi BK,

        As this image stands right now, I agree with you about the lights. If the sky is darkened and the light building in the background is named in the title, the the window formed by the space between the near light string and the first lights in the distance will make sense (to me). Sorry, I'm not a New Yorker and I don't want to guess at that building and dig my hole any deeper than it is now :-)

        Evan seems to like it busy, but then he's from New Jersey and that's his excuse :-) :-) I think this has potential as a wall print if the detail still holds at 30 or 40 inch size.

        But then, this isn't my "vision" so I'm going to sit back and wait for Russ to return :-) unless he's laughing his butt off at me and my opinions and can't type any more :-) :-)

        Greg

        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 1, 2008
          Hi Evan,

          I see what you mean about getting a shot that has a feeling of "busy" from a point of view different from one that has all the detail Russ gave us. It can be a challenge to find the right intersection, then be able to shoot from just the right spot to get the whole experience of vehicles and pedestrians, without getting run over by either. Your shot and the one from Russ are completely different and both are very good.

          Sorry about the New Jersey vs Minnesota gaffe. I think the memory card in my cranium needs reformatting :-) BTW, the speed limit on Hwy 75 from Winnipeg to the 49th parallel may soon go to 110KPH.

          Regards,

          Greg

          .

          ______________________________

            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 2, 2008
              Ok,
              I read all your comments on this, and even after all the back and much
              scrutiny and kudos, I've decided to fix it.

              1. I fixed the sky color which you may agree takes the distraction
              away. You were right, too bright for the dark photo I was LOOKING for.

              2. Thanks Evan. NYC IS busy. I'm a city boy and was in m favorite city
              during my favorite time of year, Christmas.

              3. For those who asked, The building in the background in the Empire
              State Building, which I think adds to the drama of the photo.

              4. Mulberry Street, a street in Little Italy in NYC, is the title of
              the picture, which I believe I clearly stated on the link. Hope you
              like the final installment. I knew I joined this group for a reason.

              Here's th link:

              http://www.flickr.com/photos/russferrante/?saved=1

              Thanks,

              -RF-
            • James Washer
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 2, 2008
                You've got a halo around all the buildings now. Looks like a sharpening
                halo but I suspect more likely a selection halo from darkening the sky.

                - jim