Re: Boy am I lucky!

  • Jan Faul
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 10, 2013

      On Jul 10, 2013, at 7:02 PM, Randy Little wrote:

      Where are you going to get it processed?   The last place on earth to process it closed.

      I have a few rolls of 64 and in a freezer in the studio some really old K200. Unless I am mistaken in a few months it will be 25 years old. And now  I can’t get it souped. It’s the last of 300 rolls Disney bought me for shooting their Donald Duck chair with executives in it. Disney didn’t like the color, so I shot it on Fuji Velveeta instead and put friends, landscapes and women on the K200. Too bad it wasn’t all 120. Thankfully, the AD didn’t know his ass from a hole in the ground.

      Art Faul

      The Artist Formerly Known as Prints
      ------
      Art for Cars: art4carz.com
      Camera Works - The Washington Post

      .

      On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 1:55 PM, Bob <w8imo@...> wrote:
      We bought a new refrigerator/freezer.  going through the old freezer  I found two rolls of Kodachrome 200!  I guess I'll run out and buy a lottery ticket.....  8^)

      Bob

      --
      Money can't buy happiness--- But somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than a Kia.

    • Bob

        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 10, 2013
          I didn't know about the B&W processing.  I thought all Kodachrome processing was gone.  Thanks.  Maybe some day I'll thaw it and see what happens.

          One of the bad parts about not communicating via the spoken word.  The tone of a message can't come across....
          I was trying for some humor......  8^)

          Bob

          -Money can't buy happiness--- But somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than a Kia.

          On 7/10/2013 7:53 PM, photoroy6@... wrote:
          Buy the lottery ticket in black and white. Kodachrome can now only be processed as B&W as the lab in Parson, KS shut down the Kodachrome processing a good while back.
          Roy

            Message 6 of 18 , Jul 11, 2013
              In my freezer I have a 100' roll of 35mm Cibachrome microfilm--I have the chemicals for it as well.  I bought it almost 20 years ago for a document project that wound up on Fuji B&W stock.

              Bill

              Message 7 of 18 , Jul 11, 2013
                I over the last few weeks I've been shooting some 5x4 colour neg, as a prelude to a larger project I'm hoping to do... Every time I open the fridge door for some milk, or whatever, I get a little jolt of satisfaction to see a few boxes of 5x4 on the top shelf...

                I guess that's a bit sad but it makes me happy!

                Jonathan turner
                Photographer
                T: 07796470573
                --
                Sent from my iPhone

                Message 8 of 18 , Jul 11, 2013

                  On Jul 11, 2013, at 11:03 AM, Jonathan Turner wrote:

                  I over the last few weeks I've been shooting some 5x4 colour neg, as a prelude to a larger project I'm hoping to do... Every time I open the fridge door for some milk, or whatever, I get a little jolt of satisfaction to see a few boxes of 5x4 on the top shelf...

                  I guess that's a bit sad but it makes me happy!

                  On the other hand, you could just be shooting film instead of the not quite as good substitute called digital. On my web site it says it all on the splash page;

                  All images displayed on this site are made with film.

                      Message 11 of 18 , Jul 11, 2013
                        By weird I mean in the engineering since or the word as UNIQUE or proprietary. (My fathers use of the term bored into my head)   Way more places process e-3 then ever processed Kodachrome no?   E-3 went away when I was 3 soo...  But is it different from e-3 .   e-3 was just flashed and could be done at home.   To do this at home sounds a bit harder.  It also sounds like if you process this as standard black and white you are going to have issues as its more similar to Movie film with a super thick anti-halation backing that requires a separate step to remove.  So you are going to need that alkaline step as a pre wash.

                        Kodachrome, and other non-substantive films, required complex processing that could not practicably be carried out by amateurs.[30] The process underwent four significant alterations since its inception.[31] The final version of the process, designated K-14, was introduced in 1974. The process was complex and exacting, requiring technicians with extensive chemistry training and large, complex machinery.

                        The first step in the process was the removal of the antihalation backing with an alkaline solution and wash. The film was then developed using a developer containing phenidone and hydroquinone, which formed three superimposed negative images, one for each primary color.[31] After the first developer was washed out, the film underwent re-exposure and redevelopment. Re-exposure fogged the silver halides that were not developed in the first developer. A color developer then developed the fogged image, and its exhaustion products reacted with a color coupler to form a dye in the color complementary to the layer's sensitivity. The red-sensitive layer was re-exposed through the base of the film with red light, then redeveloped forming cyan dye. The blue-sensitive layer was re-exposed through the emulsion side of the film with blue light, then redeveloped forming yellow dye. The green-sensitive layer was redeveloped with a developer that chemically fogged it and formed magenta dye.[31] After color development, the metallic silver was converted to silver halide using a bleach solution. The film was then fixed, making these silver halides soluble and leaving only the final dye image. The final steps were to wash the film to remove residual chemicals which might cause deterioration of the dye image, then to dry, cut, and mount the film in slide frames.[31]

                        Message 12 of 18 , Jul 11, 2013
                          On 2013-07-11 07:50, Jan Faul wrote:

                          > I thought Kodak or somebody still had available chemistry for
                          > Kodachrome.

                          Not that I've ever heard suggested anywhere else.

                          The last Kodachrome processing line in the world, at Dwayne's Photo in
                          Parsons, Kansas, was shut down at the end of 2010 (hmmm; the Wikipedia
                          article says the announced 30-Dec-2010 shutdown was actually extended to
                          18-Jan-2011 when they ran out of chemicals). Amidst a blaze of
                          publicity, and various jockeying for having the last roll processed.
                          There were at least two books created around the event.

                          I've got the T-shirt :-)

                          > If you want to develop b/w, there are easier films to work with.

                          Very much so. Better in many other ways, too.

                          On the other hand, if you want to actually shoot your "last roll" of
                          Kodachrome....

                          --
                          David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b@...; http://dd-b.net/
                          Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
                          Message 13 of 18 , Jul 11, 2013

                            If I wanted to soup my last roll of KR25, I could soup it in Rodinal

                            Message 14 of 18 , Jul 11, 2013
                              Will that be enough to remove the industrial strength annihilation backing?