PF members exhibit 09-01-2012

  • Andrew Davidhazy
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2012
      The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated Sept. 01, 2012. Authors with work now on display at: http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery.html include:

      Yoram Gelman - Datong Grotto Buddha
      Jan Faul -
      Mario Filipe Pires - Gothan Rising
      Bob McCulloch -
      Elson T. Elizaga - Lake Apo
      Emily L. Ferguson - maritime oak with seaside meadow
      Michael Hughes - Narrow boats in Northamptonshire
      Christopher Strevens - getting closer

      Allan Rosen-Ducat has a series exhibition of his Ridge Line Project photographs installed in Gallery-10.
      This is the link to the collection: http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery-10/

      To participate in this activity find instructions at: http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery-sub.html

      Send your contributions early and anything you can do to prepare the photographs so they do not require additional adjustment would be much appreciated. Especially keeping them near 100Kb in maximum size. Please take an extra minute to abide by this request but if you have doubts about how to prepare images just send them anyway and the capable gallery staff will adjust them for exhibition.

      From: Polly

      PS: do you know of other persons who might be interested in subscribing to PhotoForum? See below:

      PF on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=234442540144&ref=mf
    • Emily L. Ferguson
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2012
        At 7:47 AM -0400 9/1/12, Andrew Davidhazy wrote:
        >The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated Sept. 01,
        >2012. Authors with work now on display at:
        >http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery.html include:
        >
        > Yoram Gelman - Datong Grotto Buddha

        My first reaction was claustrophobia. Not only did the creators of
        this sculpture excavate a cavity for it, but then spent hours
        sculpting the actual thing. I wondered how much debris suddenly
        scraped down the side of the wall as one chisel stroke slipped and
        released more stone than intended. Brrr.

        As for the image itself, the balance between the window light and the
        darkness at the bottom is really well handled, and the angle the
        photographer chose to shoot the Buddha is just right.

        > Jan Faul -

        I like the perspective which accentuates the curve of the building
        facade as well as of the street. The fugitive people, combined with
        the spot color on one of them makes the image self-consciously "not
        your standard shot" but I'm not certain either motif adds more than
        that.

        > Mario Filipe Pires - Gothan Rising

        The half supine angle of the buildings seems to be in opposition to
        the title, although I suppose the image could have been taken during
        an earthquake in process. Not having spent any time with instagram,
        I have no clear idea of just what its features are and how they
        affect the image. Are they responsible for the vignetting, the
        texture, the flare around the edge of the shadows? If so, why are
        these effects attractive to the photographer?

        > Bob McCulloch - NY harbor

        Nice clouds, rather dark overall. I think this would be improved by
        less water.

        > Elson T. Elizaga - Lake Apo

        Always good to have content in foreground water when the water area
        occupies more than 50% of the total image. The greens seem not quite
        real - possibly the saturation overall is pushed too hard. Nice
        repertorial image.

        > Michael Hughes - Narrow boats in Northamptonshire

        Too much water in the foreground. I would prefer to have some
        shoreline on the R side even if no narrowboat was tied up there at
        the moment. So I'd move well to the left to get this situation.
        There are clouds in the sky - pushing the saturation and contrast
        would bring them out as well as brightening up the reds in the boats.
        The image feels to me like it wants to be crisper and more contrasty.

        > Christopher Strevens - getting closer

        I admire Chris for simultaneously recording this piece of his mum's
        life and for sharing it with us. Many of us may have watched this
        process in our elders. I certainly did with both of mine. And it
        can be heart wrenching, or go on way too long and leave us feeling
        the inhumanity of it all. About the only thing I'd suggest here is
        that Chris let himself do some thoughtful cropping and, again and
        again, consider changing his angle of perspective - in this case I'd
        suggest being lower so the camera is at his mum's face level.

        Thanks to all for submitting. Please remember to do so again next week.
        --
        Emily L. Ferguson
        mailto:elf@...
        508-563-6822
        http://www.landsedgephoto.com
        HOT OFF THE PRESS! SAILING SEPIA IMAGES VOL II:
        http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/elfpix
        Check out my Spring daily photograph project at:
        http://tinyurl.com/3a6m7g6
        And Summer:
        http://tinyurl.com/22juo5s
        Autumn now complete here:
        http://tinyurl.com/26pdgz9
        Winter concluded here:
        http://tinyurl.com/2co5wkg
      • Mario Pires
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 5, 2012
          Instagram was only the last application used, but that is unimportant. Gothan rising is refering to that dark shadow that is growing and is going to engulf us all, could it be the dark knight or just a trick of the light ?

          Mário Pires

          Photographer and curator of Photography now! http://www.scoop.it/t/photography-now

          retorta@...
          http://www.retorta.net

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 5, 2012

            On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 12:47 PM, Andrew Davidhazy <andpph@...> wrote:
            The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated Sept. 01, 2012. Authors with work now on display at: http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery.html include:

                           Yoram Gelman - Datong Grotto Buddha

            It's always difficult to take good pictures in situations like these with severe space constraints, but you managed to show the whole thing.

                           Jan Faul -

            Good composition, the brown tone makes me thing of an old dusty town

                           Mario Filipe Pires - Gothan Rising

            iPhone picture taken with the Hipstamatic app, then edited on Monophyx, and filtered and shared on Instagram.

                           Bob McCulloch -

            Perhaps in a big print i could find it more interesting, this way it looks like many others. There is a thin line of calm waters near the distant city line that gives a nice touch.

                           Elson T. Elizaga - Lake Apo

            Good dialog between blues, the first plane makes the picture.

                           Emily L. Ferguson - maritime oak with seaside meadow

            I like the way you used the oak to give strong directional lines to the picture!

                           Michael Hughes - Narrow boats in Northamptonshire

            I would liked to see the whole boat, but perhaps you wanted to show the "narrow" in the title. But this image lack a bit of focus, the boat  in first plane could be more separated from the margin. The lighting is dull and the sky could have been absent.

                           Christopher Strevens - getting closer

            This image is too personal for me to comment