Re: external hard drives

  • David Dyer-Bennet
    Message 1 of 28 , Nov 1, 2011
      On Mon, October 31, 2011 20:57, Emily L. Ferguson wrote:
      > At 9:05 AM +0800 11/1/11, Karl Shah-Jenner wrote:
      >>Microsoft OS PC's have such an option with programs called Print
      >>Directrory or somesuch, or the feature can be added for free by
      >>using Miscosoft Fix It free here:
      >>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321379 - though this sends the file
      >>to a printer it can be reconfigured to produce a text file.
      >
      > Actually, CDFinder creates a visual database when cataloging a
      > device, such that one can view a decent sized thumb of every file
      > cataloged. One can also search on keywords embedded in the files as
      > well as file and folder names, dates, etc..

      Thumbs Plus will do that, for offline as well as online drives. It's my
      basic catalog mechanism.

      --
      David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b@...; http://dd-b.net/
      Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 3 9:56 AM
        --- In photoforum@yahoogroups.com, David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b@...> wrote:

        > Thumbs Plus will do that, for offline as well as online drives. It's my
        > basic catalog mechanism.

        Necroposting I know....

        David I ahppen to have it installed and I also need a text catalog creating method.
        But I could not find any such funcition in the drop down menus

        Could you help me?

        If using TP6
      • David Dyer-Bennet
        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 3 11:16 AM
          On 2011-12-03 11:56, kostaspapakotas wrote:

          > --- In photoforum@yahoogroups.com, David Dyer-Bennet<dd-b@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> Thumbs Plus will do that, for offline as well as online drives. It's my
          >> basic catalog mechanism.
          >
          > Necroposting I know....
          >
          > David I ahppen to have it installed and I also need a text catalog creating method.
          > But I could not find any such funcition in the drop down menus
          >
          > Could you help me?
          >
          > If using TP6

          I'm on the current version, 8sp1 I think that is.

          But I'm not sure I understand the question (I may have misunderstood
          something originally, or maybe I just don't remember enough of the old
          discussion). What do you mean "text catalog", exactly?

          If necessary, you can do *anything* -- in V6, the database is just an
          Access database, and you can write your own reports against it if you
          need to (later on SQLite comes in, too; and both old and new versions
          will talk to "real" databases instead if you set that up, but you would
          have mentioned that).

          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 5 4:32 AM
            david you lost me with your last paragraph...we are talking about thumbsplus that is a photobrowser among other things right?

            Whta I want to do is make a txt (or similar) file that will list the sub-directories of a given direcory.

            There is data I burn into DVD and do not keep in the PC. So I want to log the contents of each dvd

            Can this be done in thumbsplus?

            No matter what, CHEER UP MY FRIENDS! Life is too precious to jump the other side of the fence...

            kostas papakotas / clenched teeth photography
            http://clenchedteethphoto.multiply.com
            Απο: David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b@...>
            Προς: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students <photoforum@...>
            Στάλθηκε: 9:16 μ.μ. Σάββατο, 3 Δεκεμβρίου 2011
            Θεμα: Re: external hard drives

            On 2011-12-03 11:56, kostaspapakotas wrote:

            > --- In photoforum@yahoogroups.com, David Dyer-Bennet<dd-b@...>  wrote:
            >>
            >> Thumbs Plus will do that, for offline as well as online drives.  It's my
            >> basic catalog mechanism.
            >
            > Necroposting I know....
            >
            > David I ahppen to have it installed and I also need a text catalog creating method.
            > But I could not find any such funcition in the drop down menus
            >
            > Could you help me?
            >
            > If using TP6

            I'm on the current version, 8sp1 I think that is.

            But I'm not sure I understand the question (I may have misunderstood
            something originally, or maybe I just don't remember enough of the old
            discussion).  What do you mean "text catalog", exactly?

            If necessary, you can do *anything* -- in V6, the database is just an
            Access database, and you can write your own reports against it if you
            need to (later on SQLite comes in, too; and both old and new versions
            will talk to "real" databases instead if you set that up, but you would
            have mentioned that).

            --
            David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b@...; http://dd-b.net/
            Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

          • Karl Shah-Jenner
            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 5 6:04 AM
              Kostas Papakotas asks:

              Whta I want to do is make a txt (or similar) file that will list the
              sub-directories of a given direcory.

              There is data I burn into DVD and do not keep in the PC. So I want to log
              the contents of each dvd

              Can this be done in thumbsplus?

              any of these small programs can do it for you Kostas if thumbsplus can't:

              http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptdirprn.asp (1Mb, free)
              a more basic version can be found here:
              http://www.spadixbd.com/freetools/jdirprint.htm (173kb, free)
            • Kostas Papakotas
              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 8 3:15 AM
                Karl for once more you excel in your suggestions....
                like synback the karenware app fits my needs exactly!

                MANY thanks!

                Απο: Karl Shah-Jenner <shahjen@...>
                Προς: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students <photoforum@...>
                Στάλθηκε: 4:04 μ.μ. Δευτέρα, 5 Δεκεμβρίου 2011