PF galery on May 1, 2010

  • ADavidhazy
    Message 1 of 15 , May 1, 2010
      The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated May 01, 2010. Authors
      with work now on display at: http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery.html include:

      Jim Davis - Storm Over Fuji City
      David Small - Naked Cowgirl
      Guy Glorieux - Three colors
      Dan Mitchell - Country Cottage
      Alan Zinn - Canopic
      Hans Klemmer - Girl, Amritsar India
      Emily L. Ferguson - spring morning
      Yoram Gelman - Mist in Patagonia
      Andrew Sharpe - Boronda Lake, CA
      John Palcewski - Curtain

      There are 2 photographs (Bobke, Cunningham) awaiting installation. Send yours
      sometime soon! Instructions at: http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery-sub.html

      To participate in this activity send your contributions early and anything
      you can do to prepare the photographs so they do not require additional
      adjustment would be much appreciated. Especially keeping them near 100Kb in
      maximum size. Please take an extra minute to abide by this request.

      drip!

      with text "signoff PhotoForum" on first line of message body.

      FYI - for subscription instructions and other informational files visit the
      PhotoForum's website at: http://people.rit.edu/andpph/photoforum.html

      PF on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=234442540144&ref=mf
    • John Palcewski
      Message 2 of 15 , May 1, 2010
        Here are my comments on this week's gallery. I'll repeat my usual
        disclaimer. These are merely my opinions, expressions of my personal
        preferences, worth only as much as the coins inside my nearly empty
        piggy bank.

        Jim Davis - Storm Over Fuji City    An impressive image overall, and
        the only thing I can think of to improve it would be to dodge the
        lower part just a bit so as to bring out more detail.

        David Small - Naked Cowgirl   A disturbing and sad image. It seems
        like a violation of privacy--or something vaguely illegal!--but then
        she obviously had made the conscious decision to stand in public and
        attract attention, like that young, handsome, muscular man in his
        Jockey shorts who parades around New York and calls himself The Naked
        Cowboy.

        Guy Glorieux - Three colors   That's Houston, all right. A cold,
        lifeless mass of steel and glass in downtown, surrounded by a maze of
        highways and bumper to bumper traffic. I'm projecting, of course.
        Bad, painful things happened to me in Houston a long time ago. And I
        remember those skyscrapers. Nice image, but...Ugh! Others will
        doubtless have a different reaction.

        Dan Mitchell - Country Cottage   This soothing, pleasant scene might
        be improved by burning in some detail in the white of the cottage.

        Alan Zinn - Canopic An interesting image, but there seems to be too
        much going on, which feels like a competition for one's attention. I
        go from the girl to the dark basalt statues in the background, and
        then to the blue reflection in the glass, to the girl's camera.
        Canon? Or Nikon???

        Hans Klemmer - Girl, Amritsar India  A beautiful image, which I
        imagine you probably wished was shot with a stop and a half more
        exposure. But then better to get it on the fly, as it is, rather than
        not at all.

        Emily L. Ferguson - spring morning   If it were my image, I think I'd
        spend the time and effort in Photoshop shortening that long stick in
        the right foreground. Otherwise a most pleasant scene.

        Yoram Gelman - Mist in Patagonia    Seems like too much white in the
        upper right. I think the shot would be entirely more successful if
        you cropped in to include only the lower left third of the image.

        Andrew Sharpe - Boronda Lake, CA   Lots of interesting movement in a
        fine composition.
      • Guy Glorieux
        Message 3 of 15 , May 1, 2010
          2010/5/1 John Palcewski <palcewski@...>

          Guy Glorieux - Three colors   That's Houston, all right.  A cold,
          lifeless mass of steel and glass in downtown, surrounded by a maze of
          highways and bumper to bumper traffic.   I'm projecting, of course.
          Bad, painful things happened to me in Houston a long time ago.   And I
          remember those skyscrapers.  Nice image, but...Ugh!  Others will
          doubtless have a different reaction.

          Thanks John,

          I can't disagree with your statement...  I was there for the biennal FotoFest event and I was struck that there are absolutely no pedestrians on the sidewalks...  Just high rise buildings and cars...
          But there is something of strange beauty in all this.
          In fact, I put together a small gallery of images I made of this "mass of steel and glass" for those who might be interested.  It shows that this is not a world for people!
          http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=196775&id=630794922

          Guy

        • DSmall9917@aol.com
          Message 4 of 15 , May 1, 2010
            In a message dated 5/1/2010 9:36:17 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, palcewski@... writes:
            David Small - Naked Cowgirl   A disturbing and sad image.  It seems
            like a violation of privacy--or something vaguely illegal!--but then
            she obviously had made the conscious decision to stand in public and
            attract attention, like that young, handsome, muscular man in his
            Jockey shorts  who parades around New York and calls himself The Naked
            Cowboy
            John! Thanks for taking the time to do a review. It is a sad image. She is trying to imitate the Naked cowboy,but I'm afraid it won't work.When I took the photo,it hadn't occurred to me , but it reminded me of something Dianne Arbus might have done.
            Dave Small
          • YGelmanPhoto
            Message 5 of 15 , May 1, 2010
              My take on this week's gallery:

              -- Jim Davis - Storm Over Fuji City
              A Very interesting shot,  From another mountain? -- or airplane?  Maybe try more detail below but I'm not sure there is really anything to see specifically.  Just knowing the city is there, below the cloud, and seeing the snowy peak above the cloud is really enough.

               -- David Small - Naked Cowgirl
              Pathetic display...and it's hard for me to think about the photo, as a photo, at all.

               -- Guy Glorieux - Three colors
              Good photo . . . Did you mean to preach a little? -- showing something about how our cities foster creeping inhumanity?  That's what I see. . .

               -- Dan Mitchell - Country Cottage
              If anything, this is a e Houston photo -- for me.  This scene is filled with life/humanity even though it shows no people.  And the vignetting is nice.  Maybe more would be even better(?).

               -- Alan Zinn - Canopic
              My eye never stops on anything to study.  Foreground figures, background figures, photographer with camera, glass glare.   The interesting foreground figures can perhaps be made to tell a story.

               -- Hans Klemmer - Girl, Amritsar India
              What a wonderful shot.  The depth of the colors of her sari, the folds of her scarf, her half hidden face.  And as a grab shot to boot. . . .I like it.

               -- Emily L. Ferguson - spring morning
              Nice.  I'm somewhat partial to mist.  But I would like to see more structure in the mist -- to make the left side as interesting as the right side where the tree, the reeds, the water, and the mist work together.

              &nbs in Patagonia
              Thanks to John Palcewski for your comments (below); after reading them I realized that I rarely looked at the upper right corner of the photo, concentrating only on the main tree, the mist, and the mountain.  And I also thought that the blue sky added to the photo.  After playing with it, I think I'll cut out the sky and cut some off the right to make a stronger image.

               -- Andrew Sharpe - Boronda Lake, CA
              Another wonderful shot with the arched branch being mirrored by the icy pond.  In addition, the ice on the pond breaks up the reflection somewhat and so it doesn't become just a cute reflection.

               -- John Palcewski - Curtain
              Very nice . . . almost abstract.  The subtle colors and bright speckles in the curtain are great.

              Message 6 of 15 , May 1, 2010
                2010/5/1 YGelmanPhoto <ygelmanphoto@...>

                 -- Guy Glorieux - Three colors
                Good photo . . . Did you mean to preach a little? -- showing something about how our cities foster creeping inhumanity?  That's what I see. . .

                Thanks,

                I suppose I did want to say something along those lines.  But at the same time, there is an attractive beauty in this scene.

                What struck me about the scene when making the image from the 15th floor of the hotel was that I could be the last person still alive in the world and it would'nt look any different.

                Guy.
              • DSmall9917@aol.com
                Message 7 of 15 , May 1, 2010
                  In a message dated 5/1/2010 3:57:22 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, ygelmanphoto@... writes:
                   -- David Small - Naked Cowgirl
                  Pathetic display...and it's hard for me to think about the photo, as a photo, at all.

                  Thanks for taking the time to review the gallery. I'm intrigued by your remark"hard for me to think about the photo as a photo at all" Photography isn't just sunrise.sunsets, and flowers." I record what is,and many times what is some times is  not pretty. She poses with tourists for tips. A hard way to make a living.
                  Dave Small
                • Trevor Cunningham
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 1, 2010
                    I would take that comment with a sense of accomplishment. The image has
                    moved him/her enough to forget they were even looking at a
                    photo...that's pretty cool in my opinion: ""There are painters who
                    transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who...transform
                    a yellow spot into the sun." - Pablo Picasso

                    DSmall9917@... wrote:
                    > In a message dated 5/1/2010 3:57:22 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                    > ygelmanphoto@... writes:
                    >
                    > -- David Small - Naked Cowgirl
                    > Pathetic display...and it's hard for me to think about the photo,
                    > as a photo, at all.
                    >
                    > Thanks for taking the time to review the gallery. I'm intrigued by
                    > your remark"hard for me to think about the photo as a photo at all"
                    > Photography isn't just sunrise.sunsets, and flowers." I record what
                    > is,and many times what is some times is not pretty. She poses with
                    > tourists for tips. A hard way to make a living.
                    > Dave Small
                  • Christy
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 1, 2010
                      Did you talk to her or just snap the photo? She's Sandy Kane and she's about as serious in her "imitation" of the Naked Cowboy as Chris Farley was when he auditioned for Chippendales. She's been a fixture on NY public access for years and she has a very healthy sense of humor about herself, not to mention more confidence that 90% of the population.

                      I personally find her no more or less sad that the "young, handsome, muscular" Naked Cowboy.

                      Message 10 of 15 , May 2, 2010
                        I felt sorry for her.... hehehehe..
                        She's not pathetic, she's the raunchiest old woman I've ever seen... google her and you will see her videos.  Careful if you have kids in the room. ;))

                        Renate

                        Message 11 of 15 , May 2, 2010
                          In a message dated 5/2/2010 1:00:07 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, christynyc@... writes:
                          Did you talk to her or just snap the photo? She's Sandy Kane and she's about as serious in her "imitation" of the Naked Cowboy as Chris Farley was when he auditioned for Chippendales. She's been a fixture on NY public access for years and she has a very healthy sense of humor about herself, not to mention more confidence that 90% of the population.

                          I personally find her no more or less sad that the "young, handsome, muscular" Naked Cowboy.
                          I didn't talk to her,but since reading your post I wish I had. You put a different light on her. She projected an image of a poor wannabe. As far as the naked cowboy,he has developed a very lucrative business.
                          Dave Small
                        • Mark Harris
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 2, 2010
                            Hi all,

                            Some thoughts on this week's gallery...
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 2, 2010
                              I felt the same way when I moved to Houston from Lexington, Kentucky in 1982. Since then I've gotten used to it and the traffic jams I had to negotiate in the 80s are not nearly so bad now -- unless there's an accident! There's a lot to see and do here, the people are warm and friendly and there are many great restaurants. Guy's photo captures the downtown area neatly, but it could have been taken in a half dozen other spots around town.

                              Roger

                              On 1 May 2010, at 9:30 AM, Guy Glorieux wrote:

                              > 2010/5/1 John Palcewski <palcewski@...>
                              >
                              > Guy Glorieux - Three colors That's Houston, all right. A cold,
                              > lifeless mass of steel and glass in downtown, surrounded by a maze of
                              > highways and bumper to bumper traffic. I'm projecting, of course.
                              > Bad, painful things happened to me in Houston a long time ago. And I
                              > remember those skyscrapers. Nice image, but...Ugh! Others will
                              > doubtless have a different reaction.
                              >
                              > Thanks John,
                              >
                              > I can't disagree with your statement... I was there for the biennal FotoFest event and I was struck that there are absolutely no pedestrians on the sidewalks... Just high rise buildings and cars...
                              > But there is something of strange beauty in all this.
                              > In fact, I put together a small gallery of images I made of this "mass of steel and glass" for those who might be interested. It shows that this is not a world for people!
                              > http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=196775&id=630794922
                              >
                              > Guy

                              Roger Eichhorn
                              Professor Emeritus
                              University of Houston
                              eichhorn@...
                            • John Palcewski
                              Message 14 of 15 , May 2, 2010
                                My first newspaper job back in the late 70s was covering U.S. District
                                Court and being the music/drama critic for the Lexington Herald.
                                Houston came much, much later.

                                Message 15 of 15 , May 2, 2010
                                  Actually, I might have made a better statement if I had not mentionned that this was Houston and left it as an unspecified city.  Something for me to thing about in the future when pondering over the title of a print...

                                  G.

                                  2010/5/2 Roger Eichhorn <eichhorn@...>
                                  I felt the same way when I moved to Houston from Lexington, Kentucky in 1982.  Since then I've gotten used to it and the traffic jams I had to negotiate in the 80s are not nearly so bad now -- unless there's an accident!  There's a lot to see and do here, the people are warm and friendly and there are many great restaurants.  Guy's photo captures the downtown area neatly, but it could have been taken in a half dozen other spots around town.

                                  Roger

                                  On 1 May 2010, at 9:30 AM, Guy Glorieux wrote:

                                  > 2010/5/1 John Palcewski <palcewski@...>
                                  >
                                  > Guy Glorieux - Three colors   That's Houston, all right.  A cold,
                                  > lifeless mass of steel and glass in downtown, surrounded by a maze of
                                  > highways and bumper to bumper traffic.   I'm projecting, of course.
                                  > Bad, painful things happened to me in Houston a long time ago.   And I
                                  > remember those skyscrapers.  Nice image, but...Ugh!  Others will
                                  > doubtless have a different reaction.
                                  >
                                  > Thanks John,
                                  >
                                  > I can't disagree with your statement...  I was there for the biennal FotoFest event and I was struck that there are absolutely no pedestrians on the sidewalks...  Just high rise buildings and cars...
                                  > But there is something of strange beauty in all this.
                                  > In fact, I put together a small gallery of images I made of this "mass of steel and glass" for those who might be interested.  It shows that this is not a world for people!
                                  > http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=196775&id=630794922
                                  >
                                  > Guy

                                  Roger Eichhorn
                                  Professor Emeritus