Re: Lea's site

  • Lea Murphy
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 1, 2010
      Yoram,

      Sorry for the delay in addressing this...been traveling and remodeling.

      To do a mailto command on each page of your site it depends on what software you're using.

      I've only ever done it two ways.

      The first is with my current site and I created an external link with this as the link: mailto:lea@...

      That directs the hyperlink to create an email page when it's clicked.

      The other way I've done it is in Adobe GoLive. In that software I created my pages, sliced them then assigned links to the slices. Most of the links were set to go to pages within the site (the navagation of the site) but the email slice was set to become a hyperlink to an email page, just like above. I set the command to read mailto:lea@... and it worked like a charm.

      I hope this is of help to you.

      Lea

      On Mar 26, 2010, at 7:53 AM, ygelman wrote:

       Lea, your portraits of babies and moms are wonderfully alive. My question is not about that . . . could you give a lesson in a few steps of how to throw a mailto command onto every page of your website?

      Thanks,
        -yoram
      -------------- Original message from Lea Murphy <lea@...>: --------------

      > After having built several sites by hand and struggling to keep up
      > with the task of updating regularly to keep things fresh, yes, I can
      > say that going to a templated site was a wonderful move for me.
      >
      > [snip]
      >
      > One thing to note, and I consider this a huge negative to Big Black
      > Bag, you can not create an email link which would allow a client to
      > send you an email simply by clicking on your email address. I worked
      > around this limitation by creating a page with the mailto: command
      > line. In my old site I had a slice on every page so clients could pop
      > me an email no matter where they were on the site. My work-around
      > works but it should be a built-in feature (or at least addressed in
      > help documents) considering how much email is generated during a visit
      > to a site and considering many people using a templated site wouldn't
      > know how to set a command line...even though it's not difficult.

      your kids . my camera . we'll click
      www.leamurphy.com

    • ADavidhazy
      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 1, 2010
        FYI - gallery/exhibit only has 2 contribution for the weekend update.

        FWIW - andre
      • James B. Davis
        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 1, 2010
          On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 16:45:44 -0500, Lea Murphy <lea@...> wrote/replied
          to:

          >Sorry for the delay in addressing this...been traveling and remodeling.
          >
          >To do a mailto command on each page of your site it depends on what software you're using.

          mailtos are used by spammers to harvest E-Mail on the web. I never use them on
          my site. I use a free E-Mail secure javascript that works like a charm.

          A bit of Googling will find places offering these services.

          --
          Jim Davis, Owner, Eastern Beaver Company:
          http://easternbeaver.com/ - Motorcycle Electrics
          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 1, 2010
            On 01-Apr-10 19:46, James B. Davis wrote:
            > On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 16:45:44 -0500, Lea Murphy<lea@...> wrote/replied
            > to:
            >
            >> Sorry for the delay in addressing this...been traveling and remodeling.
            >>
            >> To do a mailto command on each page of your site it depends on what software you're using.
            >
            > mailtos are used by spammers to harvest E-Mail on the web. I never use them on
            > my site. I use a free E-Mail secure javascript that works like a charm.

            Well, they do sometimes; but the last time I tried and experiment, it
            took them a year and a half to even find it, and I never got much spam
            to that address.

            In any case, one needs good anti-spam services for lots of reasons
            anyway, and once one has them, it doesn't much matter what spammers do.
            I've used my current email address continuously since 1999, and while
            I see some spam each day, I don't spend as much as a minute total each
            day dealing with it. It's visible in my domain registrations, some
            pages on my site show it (others use a script that uses a time-limited
            temporary address)

            The secure javascript tricks are all very well, except that
            security-conscious people have javascript turned off, more and more
            people are browsing from mobile devices many of which don't support
            javascript, people can't put them in their address book for future
            reference, and so forth.

            --
            David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b@...; http://dd-b.net/
            Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 1, 2010
              On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 21:47:15 -0500, David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b@...>
              wrote/replied to:

              >The secure javascript tricks are all very well, except that
              >security-conscious people have javascript turned off, more and more
              >people are browsing from mobile devices many of which don't support
              >javascript, people can't put them in their address book for future
              >reference, and so forth.

              I don't have java turned off and I'm security conscious. Lord knows I've got
              enough firewalls and defenders and I use Firefox as well. I can't imagine
              surfing without java though. And I like the ability to auto insert a subject
              line when someone clicks on my java E-Mail link. I include an image of my E-Mail
              address in a few places so people can actually type it in if they don't see
              Java. With the subject line auto inserted I can auto sort that mail too, a big
              bonus when you've got an online business.

              As for mobile devices, I've got plenty of replies from them using the java
              E-Mail link, although these one line replies are getting annoying.

              The problem with auto Spam controls is you could miss something important. I
              can't afford that because I have a business. I do route some junk and delete
              some but not that much. I'd really not want to deal with any more though, less
              is better.

              Take a look at any 'professional' webpage and you won't see any mailto links.

              Keep it up there if you want, I'm just saying there are better alternatives.

              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 1, 2010
                I have a professional site with a mailto link.

                I like offering my clients convenience. Who has time to copy and paste
                or memorize an email address for crying out loud? Certainly not
                mothers with new babies and that's my target audience. What happened
                to making life easy for our clients? I have no idea if I get spammed
                because of my link or not. If I do, it's worth it to me. YMMV.

                Lea

                bigger than life

                On Apr 1, 2010, at 10:42 PM, "James B. Davis" <jim@...>
                wrote:

                > On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 21:47:15 -0500, David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b@...>
                > wrote/replied to:
                >
                >> The secure javascript tricks are all very well, except that
                >> security-conscious people have javascript turned off, more and more
                >> people are browsing from mobile devices many of which don't support
                >> javascript, people can't put them in their address book for future
                >> reference, and so forth.
                >
                > I don't have java turned off and I'm security conscious. Lord knows
                > I've got
                > enough firewalls and defenders and I use Firefox as well. I can't
                > imagine
                > surfing without java though. And I like the ability to auto insert a
                > subject
                > line when someone clicks on my java E-Mail link. I include an image
                > of my E-Mail
                > address in a few places so people can actually type it in if they
                > don't see
                > Java. With the subject line auto inserted I can auto sort that mail
                > too, a big
                > bonus when you've got an online business.
                >
                > As for mobile devices, I've got plenty of replies from them using
                > the java
                > E-Mail link, although these one line replies are getting annoying.
                >
                > The problem with auto Spam controls is you could miss something
                > important. I
                > can't afford that because I have a business. I do route some junk
                > and delete
                > some but not that much. I'd really not want to deal with any more
                > though, less
                > is better.
                >
                > Take a look at any 'professional' webpage and you won't see any
                > mailto links.
                >
                > Keep it up there if you want, I'm just saying there are better
                > alternatives.
                >
                > --
                > Jim Davis, Owner, Eastern Beaver Company:
                > http://easternbeaver.com/ - Motorcycle Electrics
                > Check out my incredible fuse panel - the PC-8 is a hit!
                > 2007 Suzuki VStrom 1000, 1990 Honda VFR750, 1988 Honda Africa Twin 650

              • Emily L. Ferguson
                Message 7 of 27 , Apr 1, 2010
                  My site is covered with mailto: links. About 6 pieces of spam make
                  it through my ISPs filter every day.
                  --
                  Emily L. Ferguson
                  mailto:elf@...
                  Message 8 of 27 , Apr 2, 2010
                    On 01-Apr-10 22:42, James B. Davis wrote:
                    > On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 21:47:15 -0500, David Dyer-Bennet<dd-b@...>
                    > wrote/replied to:
                    >
                    >> The secure javascript tricks are all very well, except that
                    >> security-conscious people have javascript turned off, more and more
                    >> people are browsing from mobile devices many of which don't support
                    >> javascript, people can't put them in their address book for future
                    >> reference, and so forth.
                    >
                    > I don't have java turned off and I'm security conscious. Lord knows I've got
                    > enough firewalls and defenders and I use Firefox as well. I can't imagine
                    > surfing without java though. And I like the ability to auto insert a subject
                    > line when someone clicks on my java E-Mail link. I include an image of my E-Mail
                    > address in a few places so people can actually type it in if they don't see
                    > Java. With the subject line auto inserted I can auto sort that mail too, a big
                    > bonus when you've got an online business.

                    Confusing "Java" and "Javascript" is not a good start to convincing me
                    you know what you're talking about here.

                    An awful lot of people run No-Script in Firefox, which defaults to not
                    allowing all that stuff.

                    > As for mobile devices, I've got plenty of replies from them using the java
                    > E-Mail link, although these one line replies are getting annoying.
                    >
                    > The problem with auto Spam controls is you could miss something important. I
                    > can't afford that because I have a business. I do route some junk and delete
                    > some but not that much. I'd really not want to deal with any more though, less
                    > is better.

                    The problem with gimmicky non-standard controls is that you could miss
                    something important.

                    I've seen no signs I've ever missed anything even mildly interesting due
                    to my anti-spam processes.

                    > Take a look at any 'professional' webpage and you won't see any mailto links.

                    My experience is the opposite; professionals use the standard tools, not
                    weird gimmicks that don't work everywhere. And they can afford the
                    platinum-class email filtering, so the spam isn't a worry at all. The
                    New York Times, for example, uses LOTS of mailto links on their contact
                    page (for letters to the editor, op-ed, newsroom, news tips, and so
                    forth, all the way up to the publisher and president.
                    Message 9 of 27 , Apr 2, 2010
                      On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 09:17:53 -0500, David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b@...>
                      wrote/replied to:

                      >Confusing "Java" and "Javascript" is not a good start to convincing me
                      >you know what you're talking about here.

                      David, you're the last person in the world I'd ever try to convince of anything
                      since you obviously know it all already. There are some though that might not
                      want their E-Mail address 'hanging out there in the wind on the net'. I for one
                      do not and you can as I say do as you please with yours.

                      >An awful lot of people run No-Script in Firefox, which defaults to not
                      >allowing all that stuff.

                      'An awful lot' eh, wow that sounds convincing. 'All that stuff' sounds very
                      technical.

                      I'm very sorry to have tried to help anyone prevent Spam, I bow to your
                      superiority.

                      --
                      Jim Davis, Owner, Eastern Beaver Company:
                      http://easternbeaver.com/ - Motorcycle Electrics
                      Check out my incredible fuse panel - the PC-8 is a hit!
                      2007 Suzuki VStrom 1000, 1990 Honda VFR750, 1988 Honda Africa Twin 650
                    • ygelman
                      Message 10 of 27 , Apr 2, 2010
                        Hi.  Here is a photo for the gallery.  My website is www.ygelmanphoto.com and my email is ygelmanphoto@....

                        The title of this photo is:   Stone Steps at Fort Tryon

                        It was taken on an extremely unusually warm day in early spring.

                          -yoram
                        -------------- Original message from ADavidhazy <andpph@...>: --------------

                        > FYI - gallery/exhibit only has 2 contribution for the weekend update.
                        >
                        > FWIW - andre

                      • R V
                        Message 11 of 27 , Apr 2, 2010
                          Hi Yoram, that' s how it works.  Here's a link to the submission guidelines of the weekly gallery of the photoforum.
                          Have a nice weekend,
                          Renate