Re: New photographs in PF gallery on 10-31-09

  • MichaelHughes7A@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 1, 2009
      Thanks Roy for the info on clearing caches.  Did it but it made no difference.  Michael
    • Chris
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 1, 2009
        The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated OCT 31 , 2009.
        Authors
        with work now on display at: http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery.html
        include:

        Michael Hughes - It hasn't killed me yet
        [Chris] The deadly weed has not yet reaped its harvest but it will in time.
        I like the "Genre" of the picture. It has a nice atmosphere. Do they REALLY
        dress like that?
        Dan Mitchell - Tate Modern
        [Chris] The Tate Modern is a good place for photography and it is allowed.
        It was a power station once and many of them of that age have gone. I think
        it would be nice if one such station was preserved intact as a folk museum
        but I don't think there are any left.
        Don Roberts - Autumn
        [Chris] These leaves are the attractive side of autumn. It is interesting
        that while most of the animal kingdom is stuffing itself for hibernation or
        otherwise preparing for the winter shortages, mankind is so well prepared we
        can use our amazing technology to record just the light trace of the scene
        and appreciate the beauty having no fear of starving over winter.
        Jim Snarski - Evolution
        [Chris] We merely copied them!
        Jim Davis - Trees
        [Chris] I'm not impressed by this image. It sort of looks untidy. It is the
        sort of reconnaissance image that a visiting flying saucer might catch.
        D.L. Shipman - Solomon's castle, Arcadia
        [Chris] I interpret "Arcadia" to mean "fairy land" so this is a theme park I
        suppose - but are we getting mixed up as Solomon was not a fairy but a King
        who is mentioned in the Bible. I think he was a Jewish King. So what is his
        castle doing in fairy land?
        Christopher Strevens - Alien Visitation?
        [Chris] These "corn circles" are interesting. I always thought that they
        were of human origin made by local members of the "Corn Circle Society" but
        then I saw one form when I was out walking in that part of Western Britain.
        It just took about two minutes as an invisible finger traced out the outline
        taking away the wheat in what turned out to be a complex pattern.
        John Palcewski - Dancer
        [Chris] Well all I can say is YAPG (Yet Another Pretty Girl).

        [Chris] Chris.
      • PhotoRoy6@aol.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 2, 2009

          Go to the Windows control panel and pick Internet option and delete it that way.
          Roy

          In a message dated 11/1/2009 2:46:03 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, MichaelHughes7A@... writes:
          Thanks Roy for the info on clearing caches.  Did it but it made no difference.  Michael

        • James B. Davis
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 2, 2009
            On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 20:33:54 -0500 (EST), PhotoRoy6@... wrote/replied to:

            >Go to the Windows control panel and pick Internet option and delete it that
            > way.
            >Roy

            Or download Firefox.

            --
            Jim Davis, Owner, Eastern Beaver Company:
            http://easternbeaver.com/ - Motorcycle Electrics
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 3, 2009
              Thanks for the help.

               I can now see a full gallery and now know, for instance that Vonnegut has neither taken up dancing nor had a photoshop gender transformation.

              Michael
            • Dave
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 5, 2009
                Chris wrote:

                D.L. Shipman - Solomon's castle, Arcadia
                > I interpret "Arcadia" to mean "fairy land" so this is a theme park I
                > suppose - but are we getting mixed up as Solomon was not a fairy but a King
                > who is mentioned in the Bible. I think he was a Jewish King. So what is his
                > castle doing in fairy land?

                Actually Solomon's castle is the home and workshop of sculptor Howard
                Solomon, located near Arcadia Florida.

                Dave
                East Englewood
                --------------------------
                Remember. Remember the fifth of November...
              • Emily L. Ferguson
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 6, 2009
                  At 9:52 AM -0400 10/31/09, ADavidhazy wrote:
                  >The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated OCT 31 ,
                  >2009. Authors
                  >with work now on display at:
                  >http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery.html include:
                  >
                  > Michael Hughes - It hasn't killed me yet

                  The guy must have a sense of humor to be wearing a pink shirt. How
                  did you arrive at the title?

                  > Dan Mitchell - Tate Modern

                  Except for her face not being particularly sharp, it's a nice
                  industrial architecture shot. Maybe modern needs to be more
                  iconoclastic now-a-days to actually speak "modern" to us.

                  > Don Roberts - Autumn

                  Quite a few pleasing things here - the nice variety of colors in the
                  leaves, the shiny surfaces and edges, the tidy framing in the upper
                  right corner. If you set this up, placing the leaves where you did,
                  you might have arranged them so that the vague whiteness in the upper
                  left wasn't there.

                  > Jim Snarski - Evolution

                  Really makes you wonder whether it would be better if the gull were
                  the sharp object.

                  > Jim Davis - Trees

                  Leafless/lifeless. Well, not really leafless, but the initial
                  impression is that the leaves have already fallen and we're looking
                  at late fall. It seems to me that one should seek out only those
                  places where some real organization is evident in this kind of shot.

                  > D.L. Shipman - Solomon's castle, Arcadia

                  A building covered in quilt batting! Are they planning on shingling that?

                  > Christopher Strevens - Alien Visitation?

                  Just a snap. Needs a lot of reconsideration before you're finished
                  with that location, Chris.

                  > John Palcewski - Dancer

                  Wow. Right out of the '30s. But no sense of dance here. Harsh dyed
                  hair color, sharp edges all around, and no support garment for the
                  breasts. Makes one wonder what sort of dance she might be thinking
                  of doing.

                  Friday, folks. Time to send in your submissions for next week.

                  Thanks to all for sending in stuff for this week!

                  --
                  Emily L. Ferguson
                  mailto:elf@...
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 6, 2009
                    Thanks, Emily. Yes, I did some rearranging. Nature is just so random,
                    you know. But my thought was that the vague whiteness, which was
                    another leaf under the table, added a sort of ghostly quality. Maybe it
                    didn't need a ghostly quality? This is one of the great things about
                    the PF gallery; you can throw things out and get people's reactions
                    without really nailing your ego to the wall for folks to shoot at.
                    Don