gallery this week

  • Emily L. Ferguson
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 5, 2009
      Don Feinberg - lighthouse stairway

      Beautiful image of a marvelously thoughtfully designed industrial
      structure. The gold, possibly from the windows?, adds something very
      nice.

      Mark Harris - Engle Light Painted

      An interesting shape - egg-shaped. But I wish the light had been
      used for more than just lighting the egg. I think it's because
      there's no strong connection for me between the area that's lit and
      the natural shape of the body.

      Don Roberts - Poor Farm Barn

      Not sure just which sort of complicated photoshop feature you used to
      get this. I do see a little blue in some places in the sky so maybe
      you used layers to retain that? But whatever, I do love the
      barnboard in various states of verticality. Textures like one sees
      in buildings like this attract me as well. I'm not sure I'd be as
      happy with the very intense whites, a little more detail might make
      me a bit happier, but generally the image is pretty successful for me
      in a late '30s depression style.

      Bob Sull - On Guard

      Boy, every state in the union must use that same print in that same
      color on that same proportion sign! And the gull looks mightly
      familiar too! Cute and universal.

      Marilyn Dalrymple - Topper

      There's something about this that looks posed to me, and the pose
      looks too human for my taste. It's really hard being a cat owner.
      You imagine when you look into their eyes that they actually feel
      something, presumably positive, about you and you can see it in their
      eyes. Maybe you feel that here, Marilyn, so the pose looks feline?

      Michael Hughes - In Party Dress

      Cultural confusion. What a curious amalgam of items in a single image.

      Chris Strevens - Cup of tea

      So strange and so true to life. Milk in the tea. I'd put the cup in
      the cup holder. Less likely to slip off the dashboard and fall in my
      lap.

      --
      Emily L. Ferguson
      mailto:elf@...
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 5, 2009
        Thank you for your comment about, "Topper," Emily. Now that you mention it,
        the pose does look too human; how strange. I think, when this was taken, he
        was gathering strength so he could continue his harrassment of the other cat
        and two dogs. Probably planning his attack {:->

        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 7, 2009
          I'm tired of storing these things. Have about 15 of them - 80s and 140s.

          anybody got ideas about environmentally acceptable ways to dispose of them?
          --
          Emily L. Ferguson
          mailto:elf@...
          508-563-6822
          http://www.landsedgephoto.com
          http://e-and-s.instaproofs.com/
        • Mark Lent
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 7, 2009
            If you have a plastic recycling plant within your area, they should be able
            to tell you what kind of plastic it is and if it's able to be reduced and
            then reused. I am almost certain that they are recyclable.

            Cordially,

            Mark Lent

            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 7, 2009
              Look here -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resin_identification_code --
              for the resin identification code. It will tell you what kind of
              plastic you're dealing with.

              Roger

              On 7 Jul 2009, at 3:50 PM, Mark Lent wrote:

              > If you have a plastic recycling plant within your area, they should
              > be able
              > to tell you what kind of plastic it is and if it's able to be
              > reduced and
              > then reused. I am almost certain that they are recyclable.
              >
              > Cordially,
              >
              > Mark Lent

            • Emily L. Ferguson
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 7, 2009
                At 4:34 PM -0700 7/7/09, Roger Eichhorn wrote:
                >Look here -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resin_identification_code
                >-- for the resin identification code. It will tell you what kind of
                >plastic you're dealing with.

                Nice that the wiki has all that stuff in one place, but these
                carousels are at least 35 or 40 years old.
                --
              • mark@masteroftheimage.com
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 7, 2009
                  Why not try to find some one at maybe a local camera club, camera store, or used photo store ect and give them away to someone that could still use them for their intended purpose if you don't need them rather than just toss them.  KEH, ebay ect might also be options.

                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 7, 2009
                    I visited eBay. Some poor guy sold 3 of them for $1.35 + $13 shipping.

                    That's One Dollar and Thirty-Five Cents.

                    For three of them.

                    And he paid some percentage to eBay.

                    Film is dead, and slide shows are deader.

                    Back to responsible disposal.
                    --
                    Emily L. Ferguson
                    mailto:elf@...
                    508-563-6822
                    http://www.landsedgephoto.com
                    http://e-and-s.instaproofs.com/
                  • Don Roberts
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 9, 2009
                      Not sure that I know what I did either, Emily. I generally liked the
                      photo but a systematic approach didn't seem to yield anything special.
                      Finally, I just started playing, mixing filters and effects etc. When I
                      got this far I thought I would see what others thought. Thanks for your
                      input. I have a lot of work yet to do.
                      Don