Re: PF exhibit on 31 May 2008

  • kombizz
    Message 1 of 12 , May 31, 2008
      nice ones.

      -----
      I was born and brought up in Iran, a beautiful country full of history.
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/kombizz/sets/ k o m b i z z
    • Chris
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 3, 2008
        :> The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated May 31 2008.
        :> Authors
        :> with work now on display at: http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery.html
        :> include:
        :>
        :> Howard Leigh - Ouch!
        [Chris:] Corny
        :> Emily L. Ferguson - splitting wood at Ken and Shirl's
        [Chris:] Nice story and an effective action shot.
        :> Herschel Mair -
        [Chris:] You have captured a nice geometric design. I like the placement of
        the figures.
        :> Jim Snarski - My Little Chickadee
        [Chris:] This is a very nice shot of a little bird.
        :> Bob McCulloch - Bruschi waiting
        [Chris:] I suppose he wants to go out for a walk, he looks alert and ready.
        :> Pini Vollach - smithy workshop
        [Chris:] I would have liked to see a human figure operating the drill.
        :> Christopher Strevens - Restoration Workshop
        [Chris:]
        :> Tim Mulholland - Wedding Photographers
        [Chris:] A picture of the modern camera, like a plate camera the image is
        visible at the back the right way up and not laterally inverted.
        :> Elson T. Elizaga - Isay, Pinpin and Giselle
        [Chris:] A lovely group of happy children, we are not allowed to photograph
        children over here because of pedeophilemania
        :> Marilyn Dalrymple - Still life - Elephants
        [Chris:] Looks a bit orange to me, but it is a nice study in ebony.
        :>
        :>
      • PhotoRoy6@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 3, 2008
          Marilyn,
                      So you shot it with time exposure with  tungsten light. Did you set the white balance
          to daylight? tungsten 3400°? tungsten 3200°? Regular tungsten (household) light is 2850-2950°.

          Roy

        • Marilyn Dalrymple
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 3, 2008
            Hi Roy,

            It was window light shot digital on automatic. Nothing fancy.

              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 3, 2008
                I used Photoshop to obtain the color cast I wanted.

                Marilyn

                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 3, 2008
                  Chris wrote:
                  > :> The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated May 31 2008.
                  > :> Authors
                  > :> with work now on display at: http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery.html
                  > :> include:
                  > :>
                  > :> Howard Leigh - Ouch!
                  > [Chris:] Corny

                  I know - that's why I liked it!

                  Howard
                • Elson T. Elizaga
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 3, 2008
                    Thanks to all who gave comments on the picture "Isay, Pinpin and Giselle". I gave the URL of the display to a friend in the US who is also a physician, and she made an interesting observation:
                    "This email is directed to your email box only as you might consider this an offensive or an unnecessary observation or comment, in which case, forgive me.  I say this only as a concerned  mother and friend as I have placed my medical license on medical disability that restricts me from medical practice.  What I say here, you cannot trust to be a medical diagnosis or even an opinion; it is merely an observation of a photograph, not identical to a physical examination in person.

                    "But in enjoying your photograph of Pinpin with her not-girlfriends with such clarity online, and in what the children evoked for me, gloating over Pinpin's eyes, I couldn't help but notice his left eye is slightly turned inwards while his right eye is looking forward, a bit of asynchrony in the expected standard movement of both eyes.  Is this caused by your camera angle? or is this something that he does intermittently or something that is almost always there or there all the time?  Have you brought this already to the attention of Pinpin's pediatrician or an ophthalmologist?  Let me know if this is something you do not want to discuss or something you have already researched, or better, just a camera angle anomaly."
                    My wife and I examined Pinpin's eyes as a result of the communication, and confirmed the finding. But I waited several days to tell this list to see if the anomaly is obvious. Apparently, it isn't but it needs correction and can be corrected. A follow-up email from the doctor: "This is named 'strabismus,' when it occurs, which is either exotropia, when the eye is deviated outward, or esotropia, when deviation is inward.  This happens in adults as well for varied reasons that requires immediate evaluation if the onset is sudden.  Much more so in children, if detected early in infancy and childhood, rapid evaluation must be pursued (below the level of emergent) because of its impact on the visual development and of the visual structures involved in seeing from the eyes to the visual centers in the brain."

                    Elson