Re: I can't remember the process

  • Jim Thyer
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 30, 2008
      Marilyn

      I can think of a couple of options, but having problems remembering any details.

      Your "purple" solution could involve either an Iodine reducer of Potassium Permanganate reducer.

      There is a process I have tried some 5-7 years ago called "Bleach-Etch" process.  Here a print is immersed in a bleach/etch solution, (no details to hand on this solution, may have information elsewhere if needed), then swabbed with a cotton wool pad to remove loosened gelatine.  Reollect that after this I dyed the remaining gelatin base with a food dye or similar.

      Possible reference, Kent E Wade, Alternative Photographic Processes  published by Morgan & Morgan, 1978.  There is a chapter on Beyond the Black & White.

      If you want any further information please get back to me privately.  jimth@...    May have more time next week to look for old notes.

      Jim Thyer

      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2008
        Hello Herschel,

        I am familiar with gum prints, and unfortunately that's not what I'm looking
        for. The process I'm trying to identify actually washes away some of the
        print itself and leaves it looking as if sand had blown over it (but the
        method uses liquid chemicals). I'm determined to find my answer and won't
        give up. I appreciate your help, though. Thank you.

        Marilyn
        > Gum bichromate is "Developed" by washing the surface of the print.
        > (Washing away an aggregate) It also allows the use of art paper.
        >
        > Marilyn Dalrymple wrote:
        >> Once upon a time I made some prints using a method that required washing
        >> the surface of the print with a chemical (purple liquid, I remember) that
        >> removed some of the prints surface. There is a name for this method and
        >> I can't recall it for the life of me.
        >> The original print may have been made using a nonsilver process - I'm
        >> looking at one of the prints now and the paper is very textured - like a
        >> watercolor paper (it's matted, mounted and framed so I can't actually
        >> feel the paper).
        >> I'll keep rummaging through my books and papers, but I thought one of
        >> you might remember the method.
        >> Marilyn

      • Marilyn Dalrymple
        Message 3 of 7 , May 1, 2008
          That's it!  Thank you, Jim.  "Etching."  And the chemical is Potassium Permanganate - I knew it sounded like "pomegranate."  If I can get the print I made out of the frame and scan it so it is reasonably accurate (it is still in a mat), I'll send a copy to the gallery just in case anyone is curious about such a print.

          Now I can sleep tonight.

          Message 4 of 7 , May 1, 2008
            : I am familiar with gum prints, and unfortunately that's not what I'm looking
            : for. The process I'm trying to identify actually washes away some of the
            : print itself and leaves it looking as if sand had blown over it (but the
            : method uses liquid chemicals). I'm determined to find my answer and won't
            : give up. I appreciate your help, though. Thank you.

            potassium permanganate (a bleach) is purple if that helps..

            ?

            karl
          • Marilyn Dalrymple
            Message 5 of 7 , May 1, 2008
              "potassium permanganate (a bleach) is purple if that helps.."

              That's it, Karl, and it does help. Thank you.

              Marilyn