Vey quiet lately

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 1, 2007
      Seems like this forum has been very quiet lately. But there have some
      strange things going on with my e-mail.

      Is it really quiet or my mail?????

      Bob

      --

      /////
      ( O O )

        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 2, 2007
          It is quiet.  Maybe everyone is in the process of changing gears and preparing for the summer?

          Just to make conversation, a P.H. Emerson exhibit is now at the Getty Center in Los Angeles.  I'm looking forward to seeing the  exhibit - Emerson has always been one of my favorite photographers.

          Next week I will be attending a meeting to be held at the Huntington Library in San Marino, Ca.  I always take time after the meetings to walk around the grounds.  One of the current exhibitions at the library is "First Freedoms: The Los Angeles Times and the Right to a Free Press, 1881-2006."  I'm looking forward to seeing this display.

          They are in the process of creating a Chinese Garden and I can't wait to see how it is progressing (I got a peek at the construction of the garden about 6 months ago)..  The Huntington Library Gardens are amazing - a photographer's dream come true.  In case you live outside this area and don't know about the library, information can be found at http://www.huntington.org/.

          Do the rest of you have any plans for the summer?

          Marilyn

          "Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways it can change someone else's life forever."
                                                                                                         Margaret Cho

          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 2, 2007
            And Guy threatens . . . .

            "Hmmmm....
            Perhaps I should start a rant...?   -:)"

            Guy
            Sounds good to me, Guy.  What do you have in mind?

            Marilyn
          • Bob
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 2, 2007
              Marilyn Dalrymple wrote:
              It is quiet.  Maybe everyone is in the process of changing gears and preparing for the summer?
              8<  snip
              Do the rest of you have any plans for the summer?

              Marilyn

              Well, later this month we'll be returning to Fort Drum for our grand daughter's high school graduation.  We were just there two weeks ago to help welcome son #1 and the rest of the 3rd Brigade , 10th Mountain Division LI, home from 16 months in Afghanistan.  Most likely just snap shots here.

              Then we might wander down through North Carolina to visit son #2 and on to Florida to visit son #3.  If the trip happens I'm going to try to get some serious shooting done along the way.   Should be a little easier now that I bought my wife a P&S for snaps.....

              In the mean time I'll be visiting the photo exhibits here in Cleveland.  Since 'The Boss" has a part time job I can hit the musea and study the photos on display and maybe learn something.

              Bob
              --

                                         /////

              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 2, 2007

                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 2, 2007
                  I'm so pleased son #1 made it home safely.  Is he home for good now?

                  Marilyn

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 2, 2007
                    Thanks Marilyn,

                    We are hoping it is for good.  He went in right out of high school waaaay back in 1985, almost 22 years ago......

                    He is turning in his retirement paperwork as soon as the rules  allow

                    Thanks again,
                    Bob.

                  • MichaelHughes7A@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 2, 2007
                      In a message dated 02/06/2007 21:52:05 GMT Standard Time, w8imo@... writes:
                      son #1 and the rest of the 3rd Brigade , 10th Mountain Division LI, home from 16 months in Afghanistan
                      Shame they can't meet. My no.1 son is currently in Edinburgh Scotland prior to a 6 month posting to Afghanistan. He has had a recce trip but the real thing starts in July.

                      He is a much travelled young man, mainly to places that he would prefer not to revisit.

                      Michael
                    • Shyrell Melara
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 2, 2007
                        Went fishing last Monday with my son. Got a few duck shots. That's feathered
                        friends... Looking to diversify as much as possible. This feels like the first
                        summer of my life for some reason. More fishing and boating to come. Looking
                        into flight lessons, too. Not getting any younger! Of course I'll be taking my
                        cameras, still and video.
                        Shyrell

                        Marilyn Dalrymple said:
                        > It is quiet. Maybe everyone is in the process of changing gears and
                        > preparing for the summer?
                        >
                        > Just to make conversation, a P.H. Emerson exhibit is now at the Getty Center
                        > in Los Angeles. I'm looking forward to seeing the exhibit - Emerson has
                        > always been one of my favorite photographers.
                        >
                        > Next week I will be attending a meeting to be held at the Huntington Library
                        > in San Marino, Ca. I always take time after the meetings to walk around the
                        > grounds. One of the current exhibitions at the library is "First Freedoms:
                        > The Los Angeles Times and the Right to a Free Press, 1881-2006." I'm
                        > looking forward to seeing this display.
                        >
                        > They are in the process of creating a Chinese Garden and I can't wait to see
                        > how it is progressing (I got a peek at the construction of the garden about
                        > 6 months ago).. The Huntington Library Gardens are amazing - a
                        > photographer's dream come true. In case you live outside this area and
                        > don't know about the library, information can be found at
                        > http://www.huntington.org/.
                        >
                        > Do the rest of you have any plans for the summer?
                        >
                        > Marilyn

                      • Emily L. Ferguson
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jun 2, 2007
                          This is the first summer since I lost my marriage 13 years ago that
                          I've recovered even the slightest interest in a garden. Last year I
                          half-heartedly put in three tomatoes which only sort of obliged.
                          Tomatoes really are not worth eating unless one grows them oneself.
                          Even the "organic" ones really don't have any idea of what a tomato
                          is.

                          And when I moved into this house I did get a little fired up about
                          flowering bushes - the house presented a 1.5 storey high cedar
                          shingled wall (18 feet) to the visitor - not even a window because
                          there is a stairway on the inside. Now the rhodi that was scheduled
                          to grow to 10 feet in front of that wall has indeed done it. And
                          right now it's extravagantly colorful, too.

                          But this year, for the first time, I have been collecting seaweed and
                          mulching things. And using the seaweed to kill the grass where some
                          fresh vegetables might actually thrive. 16 trash barrels of seaweed
                          during the last two weeks, unfortunately one at a time, a 6 mile
                          round trip to the beach at about 3 hours after dead low tide in hopes
                          of getting dry seaweed. Damp seaweed is really heavy and I have to
                          drag the barrel about 60 feet back to the car, most of that in soft
                          sand.

                          So I upped the tomato plant quotient to 6 and put in 6 basils to go
                          with the tomatoes and maybe make pesto. Last year's pesto wasn't too
                          bad but I had to take basil from friends to have enough.

                          Gas prices have really put a crimp in my shooting this spring, too,
                          and getting that show up and paying for the mats and frames really
                          shot the checking account as well. So I'm glad my irises and poppies
                          are finally blooming so I have something close at hand to shoot!
                          --
                          Emily L. Ferguson
                          mailto:elf@...
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jun 2, 2007
                            The family's heading for Cape Town towards the end of July. I'll stay a month and Anna will stay to the end of September in order to shoot the spring wildflower season. She'll keep our 2-year old
                            daughter Aria with her.
                            The new college year with associated drama and challenges starts the first week of Sept.

                            This will be our first visit as a family since we left there three years ago.
                            Actually Aria was conceived in Cape Town and born in Oman. Anna was six months pregnant when we got here.

                            Now that Anna is a fully fledged photographer with a few awards including National Geographic in December, under her belt and a client list that has booked shoots well into autumn, we need a break. and some time to shoot for ourselves. Mostly we need a break from Photoshop which keeps both of us glued to computers for a few hours a day. Oh for the good old days when someone else did your  processing and there was nothing to do but file the trannies away.

                            I have now stopped shooting commercial stuff... Actually I haven't been shooting a lot at all as teaching is taking up so much time. I'm thinking of doing a vegetable project in the studio soon.

                            Anybody else on the list have a relationship with another photographer?

                            Herschel Mair
                            Head of the Department of Photography,
                            Higher College of Technology
                            Muscat
                            Sultanate of Oman
                            Adobe Certified instructor

                            + (986) 99899 673

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jun 3, 2007
                              Emily - have you thought about a garden project? Something totally
                              different to your normal output? I'd love to see your "diary" of
                              gardening efforts! Me, I'm too lazy for all that hard work!

                              Howard

                              Emily L. Ferguson wrote:
                              > This is the first summer since I lost my marriage 13 years ago that
                              > I've recovered even the slightest interest in a garden. Last year I
                              > half-heartedly put in three tomatoes which only sort of obliged.
                              > Tomatoes really are not worth eating unless one grows them oneself.
                              > Even the "organic" ones really don't have any idea of what a tomato is.
                              >
                              > And when I moved into this house I did get a little fired up about
                              > flowering bushes - the house presented a 1.5 storey high cedar
                              > shingled wall (18 feet) to the visitor - not even a window because
                              > there is a stairway on the inside. Now the rhodi that was scheduled
                              > to grow to 10 feet in front of that wall has indeed done it. And
                              > right now it's extravagantly colorful, too.
                              >
                              > But this year, for the first time, I have been collecting seaweed and
                              > mulching things. And using the seaweed to kill the grass where some
                              > fresh vegetables might actually thrive. 16 trash barrels of seaweed
                              > during the last two weeks, unfortunately one at a time, a 6 mile round
                              > trip to the beach at about 3 hours after dead low tide in hopes of
                              > getting dry seaweed. Damp seaweed is really heavy and I have to drag
                              > the barrel about 60 feet back to the car, most of that in soft sand.
                              >
                              > So I upped the tomato plant quotient to 6 and put in 6 basils to go
                              > with the tomatoes and maybe make pesto. Last year's pesto wasn't too
                              > bad but I had to take basil from friends to have enough.
                              >
                              > Gas prices have really put a crimp in my shooting this spring, too,
                              > and getting that show up and paying for the mats and frames really
                              > shot the checking account as well. So I'm glad my irises and poppies
                              > are finally blooming so I have something close at hand to shoot!
                            • lea murphy
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jun 3, 2007

                                On Jun 3, 2007, at 12:01 AM, Herschel Mair wrote:

                                Anybody else on the list have a relationship with another photographer?

                                I have a 'relationship' of sorts with another shooter...she's not my life love but she is a good friend and we talk 3-4 times a week on the phone and try to have coffee at least once a week together. We started out photographing the same types of things...people, children and pets but she has moved more towards editorial work and I've entrenched myself in baby work.

                                We are good for each other as we listen well, critique well, encourage well and have a great time together.

                                My main love is very many things but she is decidedly not a photographer. But she is very encouraging of this one, for which I am eternally grateful.

                                Lea

                              • Marilyn Dalrymple
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jun 3, 2007
                                  A fascinating project, Guy.  I seem to remember you telling us how you processed these huge prints, but I don't remember.  When you have time, could you remind me, please?

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jun 3, 2007
                                    Re: Vey quiet lately
                                    At 3:59 AM -0700 6/2/07, Marilyn Dalrymple wrote:
                                    Do the rest of you have any plans for the summer?

                                         yes....I'm going to eat more ice cream and ride more merry-go-rounds

                                    Cap'n Jimmy
                                    Baja Oregon
                                  • Marilyn Dalrymple
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jun 3, 2007
                                      Re: Vey quiet lately
                                      Great answer, Cap'n Jimmy.

                                      It sounds as if PhotoForum members are a creative, busy and free-spirited bunch.  It's a high point in my life to be a part of it.

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jun 3, 2007
                                        I'm teaching three classes this summer at my college, taking three classes at DePaul and then going out to Santa Fe, NM for a class on how to teach Photoshop. Whew!

                                        Hans

                                        On Aug 2, 2007, at 6:05 AM, Guy Glorieux wrote:

[...]

                                        Travel and change of place impart new vigor to the mind.  ~Seneca

                                      • Bob
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jun 3, 2007
                                          Cap'n Jimmy wrote:
                                          Re: Vey quiet lately
                                          At 3:59 AM -0700 6/2/07, Marilyn Dalrymple wrote:
                                          Do the rest of you have any plans for the summer?

                                               yes....I'm going to eat more ice cream and ride more merry-go-rounds

                                          Cap'n Jimmy
                                          Baja Oregon
                                          If you have any good Rum Raisin around I might drive over.......

                                          Bob in Ohio

                                          --

                                                                     /////
                                                                    ( O O )
                                          --------------------oOOO-----O----OOOo-----73 de w8imo@...------
                                                   I plan to live forever.  So far so good...........

                                        • Pini Vollach
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jun 5, 2007

                                            No !
                                            Do you have any idea ? :-)

                                            I just came back from 7 days in Cappadocia with my daughter.
                                            My friend want us to go to China in September.

                                            Pini
                                          • Guy Glorieux
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jul 31 10:36 PM