Re: Hershel, question (Digital Asset Management)

  • lea murphy
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2006
      Herschel and others,

      I hope you don't think I'm taking advantage of your wealth of knowledge.

      I notice Aperture and Lightroom both allow for comparing two or more images on screen, side by side within their main windows. Does Bridge offer this feature? I've looked in help and not found anything but am editing a wedding from last night and would love to know how to turn this option on if it exists!

      Thanks much. I appreciate your help.
      Lea

      On Sep 30, 2006, at 10:36 PM, Herschel Mair wrote:

      Lea, Lightroom is a full relational database so It  can have the same image in any number of "Collections" The program creates what I guess you could call "Virtual folders" where references to the original images are kept so you don't have to have multiple copies of the same file on your computer.
      You can use unlimited keywords and descriptions….
      It's very quick and intuitive too.
      so it is very definitely a DAM tool. In fact I think DAM it's one of its prime functions.
      It’s way beyond Bridge in that respect

      The trick, of course, is finding the time to sit down and do the management… The thought of sitting for hours, at the computer,  in any kind of administrative activity, gives me the heebie jeebies.
      Good luck

      Herschel

      lea murphy <lea@...> wrote:
      Herschel,

      I am investigating Lightroom at your suggestion.

      Can you tell me if it is considered a DAM in the cataloging sense of the word and not only in the browsing sense of the word?

      Thanks for suggesting I look at it. I had it downloaded some time back but became so overwhelmed trying to learn RAW conversion in the first place that I just stuck to PS ARC.

      I'm pretty much thinking that whatever I do needs to include asset management as part of the package.

      I'm looking at Aperture, iViewMedia Pro and now Lightroom if it has these capabilities.

      Many thanks,
      Lea

      lea murphy

      Herschel Mair
      Head of the Department of Photography,
      Higher College of Technology
      Muscat
      Sultanate of Oman
      Adobe Certified instructor

      + (986) 99899 673

      lea murphy
      www.leamurphy.com
      www.whinydogpress.com

    • Elgenper
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2006
        1 okt 2006 kl. 16.14 skrev lea murphy:

        I notice Aperture and Lightroom both allow for comparing two or more images on screen, side by side within their main windows. Does Bridge offer this feature? I've looked in help and not found anything but am editing a wedding from last night and would love to know how to turn this option on if it exists!

        There is a "workaround" way, with 2 windows side by side, well described in this video tutorial:

        The tutorial gives a good general overview of Bridge; the "compare" part comes towards the end.

        That said, personally I´ve just abandoned Bridge in favour of the new Lightroom Beta 4 version.  It isn´t bug-free yet, but it is far faster, and works quite well.  The downside, of course: after committing to the free betas, you´ll jolly well have to pay whatever Adobe seems fit to charge for the final version (the betas will expire).  I hope the existence of Aperture will help keep the price down, however.

        Per Öfverbeck

        "In a world without walls or fences, who needs Windows or Gates?"

      • Herschel Mair
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2006
          Not in the way that lightroom does.
          But of course you can make the thumbnails big in Bridge and compare that way or
          open the files and tile the images.

          But the preview window in bridge does not split up.

          herschel

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Herschel Mair
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 1, 2006
            OH yes!
            You can also have multiple instances of bridge open at the same time and work
            in them together...
            Never tried this though.
            I think the big thumbnails will do the same thing really.